Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Asbestos Mine

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Arizona Asbestos Mine

We made a run yesterday to Cherry Creek Road, it's a beautiful area that skirts the Sierra Ancha Wilderness and provides lots of different points of interest, from Ancient Indian cliff dwellings to some neat old mining sites. We'd passed an interesting looking site the day before so we returned to check it out. It was an old Asbestos Mining Operation. From what we've been able to find out, it was part of The Vosberg Claim and last operated back in the 1950s. There was a load of Asbestos still left in the mountain, they even used blocks of it as part of the structures at the site. Here are a few photos, there are many more posted in our journal. Ralph and Laura's Backroad Adventures

Asbestos blocks were used in the construction. Don't know what this was used for, it's got a screen across it, maybe a strainer of some kind?

Name:  Cherry Creek Asbestos Mine 006.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  64.9 KB
    These structures were built going up the mountainside
    Name:  Cherry Creek Asbestos Mine 011.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  60.6 KB
    We forgot our flashlights so we'll have to go back to see what's in there.
    Name:  Cherry Creek Asbestos Mine 027.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  37.1 KB
    Hmmm maybe with some Bondo and a tune-up?
    Name:  Cherry Creek, FR54 to 329 to 203 039.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  65.2 KB

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Check out the dust and fibers floating in the air in this shot. Imagine working in there?
    Name:  Cherry Creek Asbestos Mine 029.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  31.6 KB

Very cool....thanks for taking us on your trip. I look forward to seeing more of your adventures.

Thanks yugamu, Glad you enjoyed it! I post fairly regularly in our journal when Arizona temperatures permit us to get out and explore. It's a good way for us to remember where we've been and also keep track of the digital photos we've taken.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Thanks yugamu, Glad you enjoyed it! I post fairly regularly in our journal when Arizona temperatures permit us to get out and explore. It's a good way for us to remember where we've been and also keep track of the digital photos we've taken.
    I know, I've been poking around your journal and looking at a lot of the adventures. I thank you for keeping me entertained for hours.

-Josh

Really nice pics, Laura. Thanks a lot........Speedy

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    I post fairly regularly in our journal when Arizona temperatures permit us to get out and explore.
    Well, as Summer has hit, over here in the southern hemisphere, I assume it's nice and cool in Arizona around about now, so ....get out there Laura. More adventures are needed and lots more photos, as it's a bit quiet around here of late. Isn't anyone ghost-towning?
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
    Well, as Summer has hit, over here in the southern hemisphere, I assume it's nice and cool in Arizona around about now, so ....get out there Laura. More adventures are needed and lots more photos, as it's a bit quiet around here of late. Isn't anyone ghost-towning?

Ridiculously high fuel prices may be one of the main reasons, Pete. But OPEC just increased production, so we should see costs drop slightly. The weather is ideal in much of the SW now.

Approaching holidays may be another reason, putting the $$$ into gifts, tree, etc. But you're right, has been fairly quiet in here.
    Where's that Tucson Tumbleweed when ya need him?

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Not another word about fuel prices!!
    We are paying $1:67 a litre!!!
    3.75 litres=gallon; Aussie dollar is buying 89cents US.... you do the maths.
    A horse is looking better and better as the days go by.
    Well, maybe a burro?
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
    Not another word about fuel prices!!
    We are paying $1:67 a litre!!!
    3.75 litres=gallon; Aussie dollar is buying 89cents US.... you do the maths.
    A horse is looking better and better as the days go by.
    Well, maybe a burro?

Was never much good at math mr grumpy, Fuel prices high, fuel prices high, fuel prices high, fuel prices high.

Plenty of jacka$$es... I mean burros over here grumps..I mean gramps. If you'd get the lead out and dump that 7-11, you can get a jump start on exploring. Plus you and the family will have more time to spend with ME!

Thread Information