Thread: Help for documentary series

Default Help for documentary series

Hi,

My name is Clare and I am researching a documentary series about ghost towns in the US. I was wondering if I could ask for some advice from you guys to help me get a better picture of what the series could be? I have a few questions that I would be grateful to hear people's opinions on. You can reply on the thread or else email me at clare@windfallfilms.com. I'd really appreciate the help!

Thanks,
    Clare

1 What are the best ghost towns in America - both storywise, visually, or for a different reason - in your opinion?

2 Do ghost towns have 'clues' in them as to what kind of town they once were, and why they went bust? What kind of 'clues' would there be? eg dated newspapers, elements such as tin or silver found in the soil, certain types of architecture, town memorials, graveyards....anything I'm not thinking of?

3 What kind of archaeological or anthropological work could we do in a ghost town that you would like to see? Are there any cool tests or studies you can think of that haven't already been done?

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.

Clare

5 months out of the year, I explore the West

Default I have all kinds of information

Feel free to call me, 314/781-5621 or email, bar4916@yahoo.com

Just completed third volume in my series about American Western Ghost Towns.

My website is:
    http://www.theghosttownhunter.com/

Thanks, be glad to help you out in any way!

Bruce A. Raisch, Ghost Town Hunter, Writer, Adventurer, Historian, Photographer

Default the best ones I have been to

I only started ghosttowning a few years ago, but here are the ones I would label "best".
    In Arizona: Vulture and Ruby and in Wyoming: Piedmont and Miners Delight. All four of them are on the ghosttowns.com website.

When I say "best" I mean that there are a lot of original buildings still standing.

tuutuutango Guest

Default Documentary

Clare:

I spent 30 years in television and produced a few documentaries in the process... I enjoy exploring Ghost Towns for these reasons and my favorite Ghost Town is Mogollon... A wonderful place because it is so visual, and there are many interesting stories in regard to this location. All ghost towns are of interest to me, but Mogollon is my favorite. Kind of hard to get to, not many tourists and located in one of the most beautiful spots I've ever seen in my life, and I've worked and traveled nearly all over the world because of my work in television news and the military.

Every ghost town that interests me MUST have a cemetery. I have always prioritized the people who lived and died in these towns as the most important aspect of why the place is "interesting." Some folks are really keen on the buildings that remain, but for me, it is people who have left clues behind. Some of these former occupants of ghost towns only leave a cemetery plot and not much more, and this really gets me interested. I guess as a former news reporter and host for PM Magazine, telling stories about people is in my blood, and certainly, doing the investigation is great fun... almost like being on an Easter Egg hunt... the rewards of finding that info is like discovering a treasure.

I have lots and lots of pictures of cemeteries from ghost towns that I can share with you. I'll try and access your website and contact you off of a public forum for details.

Good Luck.
    22Tango

If you're interested in pictures and trip reports from Utah/Nevada ghost towns, check out my website at www.bonnevillemariner.com.

It's not as much a history lesson as it is a look into the ghost-towning experience.
    "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure."

bonnevillemariner.com

Thread Information