Thread: Dust Bowl Ghost towns

Default Dust Bowl Ghost towns

Just back from the library, watched a video "Surviving the Dust Bowl".. Made me curious. Where are all the Dust Bowl Ghost towns? Somebody out there must have found some?

THANKS
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Mikejts View Post
    Just back from the library, watched a video "Surviving the Dust Bowl".. Made me curious. Where are all the Dust Bowl Ghost towns? Somebody out there must have found some?

THANKS
    Hiya Rocky.
    One of my fav old-time movies on that is "The Grapes of Wrath", never get tired of watching Henry Fonda Joad taking his family west.

There's a couple of places out of the Dust Bowl area, that I guess are considered ghosts now. One is Bagdad CA. Off I-40, at Ludlow is a loop road SE, which was old rte 66 that re-connects 17 mi west of Needles. Bagdad is apprx 8 mi west of Amboy. Those other towns (Amboy, Cadiz) may be worth looking at while in the area, especially as an update report.

The other, between Kingman and Seligman, AZ is another rte 66 loop road. IIRC, Peach Springs, and the other 4 towns shown on that rte are also ghosts, though not sure how many of them are. Again, possible report to update for gt'ers unable to get out and about.

Default Thanks

I appreciate it Bad Bob,

I was thinking more of the panhandle states, OK / TX / Kansas. I did not realize we had Dust bowl towns that far west. Here in Colorado I have discovered a few but they don't seem to have gotten the focus the mining camps got. It is difficult to find articles etc about these towns. Got 5 library books to go thru yet. TOO much snow to go towning in the mountains so thought I would try the great plains.

Rocky

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Mikejts View Post
    I appreciate it Bad Bob,

I was thinking more of the panhandle states, OK / TX / Kansas. I did not realize we had Dust bowl towns that far west. Here in Colorado I have discovered a few but they don't seem to have gotten the focus the mining camps got. It is difficult to find articles etc about these towns. Got 5 library books to go thru yet. TOO much snow to go towning in the mountains so thought I would try the great plains.

Yeah, I figured you were referring to that area. I googled that movie you took in at the library, and a map shows the specific Dust Bowl area.

One person in that vicinity that would prob know more about it is the resident jurist, the honorable, Old Judge. Haven't heard from him lately here, hope he's doing OK.... but you may have to "PING" him if he's not following individual threads.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Cool

Just returned from a two week trip to Southern California and back. Primary purpose was a four day Housing seminar in San Diego. Had two youngest sons with me and side-tracked to Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, and a few Ghost Towns. Got some good new pics of Two Guns, and stopped at Cuervo, Montoyo, and a few others. We stuck pretty close to I-40 but tried to get some Mother Road instruction done. Did go through Seligman, Hackberry, Peach Springs and others. Lots of those old 66 towns are near ghosts and worth a visit. Even places like Tucumcari and Santa Rosa have some GT feel. Interesting thing about "Grapes of Wrath" was the author's decision to start the Joads out from Eastern Oklahoma, Sapulpa if I'm not mistaken. They buried Grandpa just outside Oklahoma City. While there was certainly poverty statewide, the East half of the state wasn't blowing away as depicted in book and movie. There are in fact a ton of sites in western Oklahoma which might be called Dust Bowl Ghost Towns. Many others, like some already discussed, are Ghosts because they were passed up by the Interstate system or by the railroad, or they started as a RR town and the railroad shut down. As I've said before, about all one has to do in western Oklahoma and west Texas is to get off the beaten path. Something will turn up. Often a cemetery in the middle of nowhere. Will post some pictures after the holidays when I'll have access to my bride's help. In the meantime, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. OJ and DeeDee
    Last edited by old judge; 12-23-2007 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks Judge ! Depending on the weather I may take off for that area this weekend. Long drive for me just to get to South East Colorado. (300 miles) Sort of wanted some for sure spots. Going to hit Springfield and try to HQ out of there for a couple days.

Rocky

Default Dust Bowl Ghost Towns

Check out www.texasescapes.com for towns in Texas in the dust bowl area.They have GlenRio on Route 66 and several others on the famous Mother Road.
    Not sure how far the Dust Bowl extended into Texas. I think it stopped somewhere above the Texas Hill Country,way north of San Antonio.

Thread Information