Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ghost towns near Seattle

Default ghost towns near Seattle

can anyone give me info. about
    ghost towns near Seattle or
    between Seattle and Portland, Oregon?

I want to combine a trip to visit family in Portland with a trip to Seattle and hope to see
    some good ghost towns.
    Help, please!

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by JuneNY View Post
    can anyone give me info. about
    ghost towns near Seattle or
    between Seattle and Portland, Oregon?

I want to combine a trip to visit family in Portland with a trip to Seattle and hope to see
    some good ghost towns.
    Help, please!

SEATTLE AREA: west
    Port Gamble near jct WA 3 /104.
    Union NW of Olympia on WA 106.

SEATTLE AREA: east
    Sultan, Gold Bar, and Index all on US 2 east of Everett.

Ronald and Roslyn, both just NW of Cle Elum up WA 903.
    Liberty up US 97 just east of Cle Elum.

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

And East of Seattle off I-90 is Lester.

This will require a one or two mile hike past the yellow gate.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

i dont know about the rest of them but goldbar,index, and sultan are not ghost towns .i used to live in sultan.but i beleive that there is one near stevens pass if you keep heading east on hwy. 2 but i heard it was very remote and hard to get to

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I'm really enjoying this link - you've given me some great GoogleEarth exploration adventures guys, so I'm grateful once again!

The final blow to the town was in the early 1980's, when the Burlington Northern RR stopped all trains across Stampede Pass
    Could any railway buff fill me in on why they stopped trains over Stampede.... and when?
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by brian2372 View Post
    i dont know about the rest of them but goldbar,index, and sultan are not ghost towns .i used to live in sultan.but i beleive that there is one near stevens pass if you keep heading east on hwy. 2 but i heard it was very remote and hard to get to

So you say those 3 towns are NOT ghost towns, but didn't say why, or post YOUR definition of a ghost town.

Sultan & Index are both listed in Lambert Florin's "A Guide to Western Ghost Towns". Florin (1905-1993) was one of the most prestigious authors on the subject. Gold Bar is in between the other 2 towns, and I listed it by mistake, yet it MAY be considered a ghost town today.

The one north of Stevens Pass may be called Trinity.... Florin's book states "heavy snows flattened most of the former copper mining towns' main buildings", but climbers use the vicinity as a base to climb Glacier Peak. He also calls it a "very scenic area".
    Last edited by bad bob; 02-24-2008 at 11:48 AM.

North of Seattle and East on US Hwy 2 is the town of Index. As a child in the 1950s I lived there for 6 weeks. It was a Nickel mining town. In 1978 I drove thru it and it was all gone and brand new condos were all over the place. Research might uncover some old places like parks, schools, carnival/circu sites, etc.

That quote of Lester Moore was stolen. It is factual and was the man's epitaph on his tombstone in Idaho City, Idaho (or Quartzville) but not Tombstone AZ.
    Wyatt Earp was Sheriff in Tombstone; afterwards he and his brothers opened a bar at Eagle, Idaho near Prichard Creek in the panhandle (there is another Eagle,Id NW of Boise). Went broke there, he did.

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    So you say those 3 towns are NOT ghost towns, but didn't say why, or post YOUR definition of a ghost town.

Sultan & Index are both listed in Lambert Florin's "A Guide to Western Ghost Towns". Florin (1905-1993) was one of the most prestigious authors on the subject. Gold Bar is in between the other 2 towns, and I listed it by mistake, yet it MAY be considered a ghost town today.

The one north of Stevens Pass may be called Trinity.... Florin's book states "heavy snows flattened most of the former copper mining towns' main buildings", but climbers use the vicinity as a base to climb Glacier Peak. He also calls it a "very scenic area".
    A few years ago, the status of ghost town may have applied to Sultan and Gold Bar, along with their neighbor Startup, however in the current day and age, all three towns are growing bedroom communities of the Tacoma-Seattle-Everett area, and are relatively active communities. Sultan now even sports a McDonalds and a Subway in a new commercial strip area.

Index, however, still deserves the title of semi-ghost, being more "isolated" in the mountains off highway 2. In a similar vein is also the town of Skykomish, which is also still inhabilted, but has some neat old buildings.

In the category of true ghost locations near Seattle to be explored, Monte Cristo, east out of the Granite Falls area, should be considered. Like Lester, it involves a hike in, but I've heard there are some interesting remains.

Closer to Seattle, Franklin, near the old mining town of Black Diamond, is mostly shrouded by overgrowth, but has some mining relics and a neat old cemetary.
    Ever nearer to the urban area is old Newcastle on Cougar Mountain between Renton and Bellevue, which has a developed trail system leading to several sites in this former ming community.
    Easily distracted.

Current distraction: Railroad Depots

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlane500 View Post
    In the category of true ghost locations near Seattle to be explored, Monte Cristo, east out of the Granite Falls area, should be considered. Like Lester, it involves a hike in, but I've heard there are some interesting remains.
    This is another place I'd like to see when I make a future visit. I understand that it's about a 4 mile hike to Monte Cristo?

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Thread Information