Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ghost towns near Seattle

the reason i say its not a ghost town is because i LIVED there.skykomish is realy cool ,if the saloon/inn is still open it has the best french dips youve ever had and its suposed to be haunted but the last time i was up there it was closed.north east of there is supossed to be a ghost town but i dont remember the name of it .it would be below stevens pass to the west and the road is gone.also i beleive there is another one up F.S.road62 if they havnt gated it off yet for strictly logging.also as a footnote there is a music studio in index where jimi hendrix recorded "purple haze".my wife grew up in monroe about 10 miles west of sultan.there is a book on ghosttowns in that area that i would have to dig out of boxs most of the roads are shut down from jerks dumping stuff up in the woods.there are also some cool hot springs north of skykomish but i heard there off limits now also. if i dig out the book i will post the name of it.

Hah! I finally have the ability to post and this one was driving me crazy!! (OK, I know the thread is old and past but I can't leave it!!)

Sure Florin is a great resource, however his books are about thirty years old, things change in that time!!

Port Gamble in NOT a GT. Great history, cool old houses, interesty graveyard. Houses are occupied and maintained, stores open, not a GT

Sultan, Gold Bar and Index, again interesting and historical buildings, not GT's at all.

Ronals and Roslyn, not GTs anymore. There is a new McMansion developement just down the street and last time I was there it looked like the whole place was starting to yuppify. Now, this one is worth the trip becuase there's still enough old to make it interesting but I wouldn't hold my breath on that lasting for long.

Liberty was pretty close to being a GT many years agoa, but the homes have been bought and rehapped and it's a pretty thriving community now.

Weston was pretty empty when I went through a couple of years ago. Franklin is good - check in with the Black Diamond histroy museum for directions - There are a lot of "ghost towns" in Seattle. By that I mean a lot of towns that have been absorbed (resistance is futile) and if you know where to look you can find hints of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
    And East of Seattle off I-90 is Lester.

This will require a one or two mile hike past the yellow gate.

Tom
    One or two? Heh, more like 4 or 5. And not a whole lot to see anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
    I'm really enjoying this link - you've given me some great GoogleEarth exploration adventures guys, so I'm grateful once again!

Could any railway buff fill me in on why they stopped trains over Stampede.... and when?
    Ha, I think that's a quote for the Lester Wikipedia entry I posted.

To explain why Stampede was used, I'd have to fill you in on the whole history of the Northern Pacific Railroad in Washington State. I assume you don't have a few hours, but the Northern Pacific was the first railroad through Washington back in the day. They had their choice of the three major passes, Stampede, Snoqualmie and Stevens. They chose Stampede because of how close it would get them to the port at Tacoma, but they ended up having to build the longest tunnel in the world at the time (1880s). Honestly, if you know the areas, both Snoqualmie and Stevens are much more inhospitable passes compared to Stampede. As it was, both alternate passes got railroads in their own time as well (Snoqalmie got the Chicago, St. Paul, Milwaukee & Pacific aka the Milwaukee Road and Stevens got the Great Northern).

Quote Originally Posted by NWNative View Post
    Hah! I finally have the ability to post and this one was driving me crazy!! (OK, I know the thread is old and past but I can't leave it!!)

Sure Florin is a great resource, however his books are about thirty years old, things change in that time!!

Port Gamble in NOT a GT. Great history, cool old houses, interesty graveyard. Houses are occupied and maintained, stores open, not a GT

Sultan, Gold Bar and Index, again interesting and historical buildings, not GT's at all.

Ronals and Roslyn, not GTs anymore. There is a new McMansion developement just down the street and last time I was there it looked like the whole place was starting to yuppify. Now, this one is worth the trip becuase there's still enough old to make it interesting but I wouldn't hold my breath on that lasting for long.

Liberty was pretty close to being a GT many years agoa, but the homes have been bought and rehapped and it's a pretty thriving community now.

Weston was pretty empty when I went through a couple of years ago. Franklin is good - check in with the Black Diamond histroy museum for directions - There are a lot of "ghost towns" in Seattle. By that I mean a lot of towns that have been absorbed (resistance is futile) and if you know where to look you can find hints of them.
    Weston? Which Weston are you talking about? The only Weston I know of is the one on Stampede Pass which is now long gone.

Vostok 7

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Hiya NW, good to "see" ya back on the keyboards.

Ghost towns are usually defined as "any town which is a shadow of it's former self", and not just "true ghosts", devoid of any inhabitants.
    So I believe several of the places you say are not ghost towns, can indeed be called as such.

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    Hiya NW, good to "see" ya back on the keyboards.

Ghost towns are usually defined as "any town which is a shadow of it's former self", and not just "true ghosts", devoid of any inhabitants.
    So I believe several of the places you say are not ghost towns, can indeed be called as such.
    Roslyn definitely. At one time it was one of the biggest cities in the state!

Vostok 7

You're right, not Weston, but Easton. Sorry!

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Vostok 7 View Post

They had their choice of the three major passes, Stampede, Snoqualmie and Stevens. They chose Stampede because of how close it would get them to the port at Tacoma, but they ended up having to build the longest tunnel in the world at the time (1880s). Honestly, if you know the areas, both Snoqualmie and Stevens are much more inhospitable passes compared to Stampede. As it was, both alternate passes got railroads in their own time as well (Snoqalmie got the Chicago, St. Paul, Milwaukee & Pacific aka the Milwaukee Road and Stevens got the Great Northern).
    Vostok 7
    Hey, thanks for that info. I have to say I DO NOT know that area - I'm in Australia - but I read links to every bit of info I am provided with, so you've given me some more search material. The history of American rail fascinates me.

NWNative
    ...not Weston -Easton!!!
    Darn it! Left, not right! LOL
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    One thing to keep in mind, there's a difference between a ghost town with closed shops and abandoned houses and some historic-looking ones still open and an old town with the same things. It usually comes down to the history of the place and whether it was ever any bigger than it is today.

There are plenty of small towns out there that have rustic buildings, old churches, and abandoned homes, but have been a small community steadily since the town was formed. Still nice to tour thru and poke around in, but not ghost towns.

You're right, not Weston, but Easton. Sorry!
    You had me excited for a second! Weston has been what I've been hunting for now for a year or so.

Easton still has some life, though. There's quite a few people there. Less than Roslyn or even Ronald but there's still some.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
    Hey, thanks for that info. I have to say I DO NOT know that area - I'm in Australia - but I read links to every bit of info I am provided with, so you've given me some more search material. The history of American rail fascinates me.
    Yeah, I love it. My father and I had a car race recently in Wendover, NV (where the Bonnaville Salt Flats are) and we made a trip in to Utah for some business and while we were in Utah we went to the site of the Golden Spike, where the first American transcontinental railroad was completed in 1869. Was pretty facinating to see, they had replicas there of the original Union Pacific and Northern Californian locomotives which met at the spot, from the famous photograph.

I live right in the shadow of Snoqualmie pass, and the histories of the railroads in this area have facinated me. Mostly because of the ghost towns they created, but also just because of the history and what it meant for the area. I live outside of Cle Elum which was essentially created by the Northen Pacific since it was a stopoff point between the coal mines of Roslyn and the gold mines of Liberty. Right next door is Cle Elum's "suburb" of South Cle Elum which was created to support the Milwuakee Road since the two railroads couldn't stop at the same towns. Of course, the Milwuakee Road has been closed for some years now and is now a trail which you can walk on all the way through Snoqualmie Pass (it's called the Iron Horse Trail). There's a lot of history in this area, that's why I love it up here. Been here 20 years now

On that trip we also found where our relatives came from in this state. I'm 7th generation Washingtonian which goes back before statehood even! We first settled in the Rosalia area in the eastern part of the state right next to Idaho. Interestingly enough, all three of Washington's original railroads all went right through the area. In fact, my family's original homestead was right near one of the lines which meant they probably saw it being built back in the 1880s.

History is awesome.

- Patrick

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by mainmanwalkin View Post
    One thing to keep in mind, there's a difference between a ghost town with closed shops and abandoned houses and some historic-looking ones still open and an old town with the same things. It usually comes down to the history of the place and whether it was ever any bigger than it is today.

There are plenty of small towns out there that have rustic buildings, old churches, and abandoned homes, but have been a small community steadily since the town was formed. Still nice to tour thru and poke around in, but not ghost towns.

You mean Historic Towns, such as Colonial Williamsburg, though perhaps not so "touristy?"

Thread Information