Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ghost towns near Seattle

When I was a kid (I'm 66 now) we lived for 6 weeks in Index. My dad was with the U.S. Bureau of Mines and was attempting to open the nickel mine there. Believe me it was a ghost then and for many years later. In the early 1960s I visited Index again and it was all condos!

Roslyn is not a ghost town. Since "Northern Exposure" was filmed there a few years back it has come to life. I had dinner there and tried the local home brew, Roslyn Brewery and it is the best beer I ever tasted. That was in 2004.

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Dirty Dog, what is the name of that historic/famous bar in Roslyn? I believe it is the oldest saloon in Washington state?

In 1980 I threw a few back and played some pool in there when we stayed with some locals in a very old house they were restoring. They showed us the town and had a lot of interesting stories about the area. I'm sure it's different now, but even then Roslyn was quite interesting. I wanted to move there at the time!
    Last edited by campp; 07-10-2008 at 03:45 AM.

Sorry, I can't help you with that name. I was only there for dinner; it was on the east side of the main drag. The owners were from Serbia. The food was great too!
    I discovered Roslyn back in the 1960s when we lived in Yakima. I was so enchanted I dragged my wife up to see the almost-ghost town. Houses could be bought for $5,000 and on any given block there were 6-10 houses, vacant and for sale. My wife talked me out of investing...grrrr.

Default Near Seatac

Anyone know the history of the little fensed off area just directly south of the Airport off 200th? Apparently you can get back in there now on foot or bike, and I know there is a cemetary just off 200th thats all fensed up. My wife's uncle says there is whole houses back there abandoned, and On google you and see the old city streets back in there.

Quote Originally Posted by campp View Post
    Dirty Dog, what is the name of that historic/famous bar in Roslyn? I believe it is the oldest saloon in Washington state?

In 1980 I threw a few back and played some pool in there when we stayed with some locals in a very old house they were restoring. They showed us the town and had a lot of interesting stories about the area. I'm sure it's different now, but even then Roslyn was quite interesting. I wanted to move there at the time!
    That would be The Brick. It's the second oldest tavern/saloon in the state. Roslyn at one time in the mid-late 1800s was one of the largest towns in the state, larger even than Seattle, thanks to the coal mines.

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

The Brick, eh? Sure don't remember that name! But then again, there's a lot I don't remember from the 1980s...

I really enjoyed Roslyn. This was well before that TV show they shot there.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGryphon View Post
    Anyone know the history of the little fensed off area just directly south of the Airport off 200th? Apparently you can get back in there now on foot or bike, and I know there is a cemetary just off 200th thats all fensed up. My wife's uncle says there is whole houses back there abandoned, and On google you and see the old city streets back in there.

The fenced off area was bought by the airport years ago while they were preparing for the '3rd runway'. The old cemetary has been fenced off at least since I was in high school, we got in trouble more than once for being there. From what I remember it was an old cemetary with some great old headstones.

Default Abandoned building for photo shoot

This is a great thread ... definitely a few options to explore. For the time being, maybe someone could help me out with a particularly interesting abandoned building or ruin ... an old factory would be perfect! I want to go inside with models for a photo shoot, so I don't really mind if there is recent construction around. It would definitely help if it was accessible by 2WD so I can get the models and gear there, and ideally no graffiti. An old barn or shack would do - just as long as I don't have to trespass to get in Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PleasantPictures View Post
    This is a great thread ... definitely a few options to explore. For the time being, maybe someone could help me out with a particularly interesting abandoned building or ruin ... an old factory would be perfect! I want to go inside with models for a photo shoot, so I don't really mind if there is recent construction around. It would definitely help if it was accessible by 2WD so I can get the models and gear there, and ideally no graffiti. An old barn or shack would do - just as long as I don't have to trespass to get in Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There is an old abandoned brewery in Olympia. Red brick building, visible from I-5 when you drive North or South. I've always wanted to go inside it, but I'm not sure if you can go in.
    Click the link below to see a nice photo about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympia_Brewery

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by PleasantPictures View Post

You left out your location, but there are hundreds of great places for your subject interest, in just about every state of the union.

As for trespassing, if you go get permission first, (preferably written in case it has to be shown) that would not be a problem.

Thread Information