Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Ghost Towns in Washington State

Smile Looking for Ghost Towns in Washington State

Hello. I am new to the world of Ghost-Towns, but I am very intrested and want to learn more. I live in Washington State and have had very limited success trying to find information about ghost towns here. I have found a couple old books but the info seems very out of date. Some of the towns listed are still active or the ghost towns have been swallowed up by urban expansion.

Does anyone know of any good ghost towns in Washington? Also, what are soem good sources for finding Ghost towns? What are the best types of maps? All i have are road atlases, so I need to get better maps. Would USGS survey maps be the best for showing logging roads etc...?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Howdy Reed.
    In the 2nd category, "Directions and Locations..." I posted a few surrounding the Seattle area, for JuneNY. They're all easily found on Rand McNally road atlas.

THANKS! I will check it out now.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Reed, Welcome to the forum! You might have already seen it, but just in case you haven't, the Ghost Town web site associated with this forum lists Washington State GTs, it's got a good map with clickable locations. Ghost Towns and History of the American West Turn up your volume and enjoy the banjo music

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

May I suggest Lester.

Located in the Stampede Pass area east of Seattle. I was there last August and it's a worthwhile visit.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Thanks for the heads up on Lester! I will definitely move that to the top of my list. How difficult was it to get there?

I have seen the clickable map on the website, but many of those towns aren't actualy ghost towns. I need to finish building my van to be a suitable excursion vehicle, but I hope to be able to make some trips this summer and fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on Lester! I will definitely move that to the top of my list. How difficult was it to get there?
    It's easy, the last one or two miles requires a hike. The road to Lester runs off of exit #62 for 13 miles on a good forest service road and comes to a yellow gate. From here no vehicles are permitted and you have to walk, but it's an easy walk. Took us maybe 30 minutes.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
    It's easy, the last one or two miles requires a hike. The road to Lester runs off of exit #62 for 13 miles on a good forest service road and comes to a yellow gate. From here no vehicles are permitted and you have to walk, but it's an easy walk. Took us maybe 30 minutes.

Tom

Do I need any special permission to go there? Do I need to contatc the Forest Service? Who owns the place, the railroad or is it completely abandoned?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    Do I need any special permission to go there? Do I need to contatc the Forest Service? Who owns the place, the railroad or is it completely abandoned?

Thanks!
    No, you don't need permission. It is completely abandoned as far as anyone living there. There is a maitenance yard that's unattended. The only thing is that you can't go beyond the townsite as it is in the Tacoma watershed and there are signs which inform of such.

Are you in the Seattle area?

Tom

Yes. I live in Tacoma, Washington, about 30 miles south of Seattle.

I read the other post about Lester and now i am very excited to make a tirp up there and poke around with my metal detector and camera. I need to finish my van and get some time off this summer.

Thread Information