Thread: Valley of the Ghosts, British Columbia

Default Valley of the Ghosts, British Columbia

I am considering a trip to British Columbia and found some information about the Valley of the Ghosts, a stretch of highway along Route 31A between New Denver and Kaslo........

Has anyone driven this route in search of ghost towns in the past few years? If so, can you give me some idea of what to expect?

I've never been there, but this page shows the current status of some of the towns in the valley:
    http://www.ghosttownpix.com/bc/valleyintro.html

I hitch-hiked that area a year and a half ago, and went to New Denver, Silverton, Sandon, Cody and Alamo.
    New Denver and Silverton are both villages with people living in them, though both quite dimished from what they were. They are not really ghost towns, but have a lot of historical sites and information, and New Denver has a tiny but great museum. They are not overly touristy. There is a hike out of Silverton that leads you past mine sites, which seems to be rarely used, but be prepared to walk over a rotting bridge.
    Sandon is the well-known ghost town, though several people still live there, and there is a tiny museum there as well. There are a lot of boarded up buildings, and a self-guided walking tour, though it also isn't too touristy.
    Cody is, in my opinion, the really interesting ghost town. There are old wooden houses, one made of a town sign, and a concentrator on top of a hill. Cody is a few kilometres past Sandon on a logging road.
    Alamo is in a forest near Sandon and can be accessed by walking or biking (not car). There is an abandoned concentrator, and some rotting cabins.
    I didn't got to Retallack, as so many people in the area said there was nothing at all there, and went by Three Forks, but there was no trace of it. I'm happy to answer questions about these places, post pics, etc.
    Last edited by reece; 02-17-2008 at 11:04 PM.

Thread Information