Thread: Mosquito Pass - Colorado

Default Mosquito Pass - Colorado

This is one of the best back road passes I've been on. Years ago, I used to ride the ATV's across. Three years ago, the wife & I tried it too early in the year. We got to the London Mine, but had to stop there due to 14' deep snow on the road. In 2007, she finally got to see what it was all about. I took the big ole F250 4-door diesel across with relatively no problems. I did bend a step (should've removed it before I went up there). My wife had to get out to "spot" for me on a long section with large rocks. We took our time & the diesel was great at altitude. I've been running passes up there for about 18 years. The trip across Kansas from our home in St. Louis sucks, but once you get to Breckenridge, there are many passes you can explore from there, usually one or two a day. I have lots of maps & info if anyone needs any suggestions. Our next trip to Breck. is in June 2008. Happy trails.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by usersuper; 02-24-2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: mispelled words

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Usersuper, Great photos, thanks for sharing them. Wow, that's some altitude, good thing you've got a super spotter!

Sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing your pics........Speedy

Boy, you've got guts driving a truck up that road! I think I'd be a little nervous riding that on my ATV!

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Boy, you've got guts driving a truck up that road! I think I'd be a little nervous riding that on my ATV!
    You're not wrong, Paladin!! That is one heck of a slope to be mucking about on. Admiration abounds!
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

Quote Originally Posted by usersuper View Post
    The trip across Kansas from our home in St. Louis sucks,
    An understatement.
    It sucks big time. Not convenient for you but I all but avoid I70 on my trips west. I still make pretty good time and at least get the entertainment of looking at small towns across Kansas.
    Mosquito Pass was one of my early ones years ago. You ever been up Mount Bross? I started up years ago and camped at about 11K but became ill in the evening and left. the winds were trying to rip my camper apart too. I was going to ride the motorcycle up the rest of the way in the morning if I hadn't gotten ill. I think I had a touch of altitude sickness.
    Brad

Default Kansas & Beyond

Brad, I've been doing the trails out there since '78, but haven't done that one yet. Every now & then if we go down near the Great Sand Dunes on the way home (southern route back from Durango or Canon City), we'll take Hwy 50 across Kansas. Like you said, at least you gt to see some small towns that have some interest. I do hate going through the "cow-towns" though. It makes us ill with the smell for miles. They have manure piles 1/2 mile long & 30' high along the hiway in spots.

Thread Information