Thread: Ghost towns near San Antonio, Texas

Default Ghost towns near San Antonio, Texas

Hello friends: I am an avid ghost towner from Alberta, Canada. In early May I am going to San Antonio for four days and was wondering if anybody can tell me if there are any photogenic ghost towns (or grain elevators) within an hour's drive of San Antonio. I would greatly appreciate any help on this. Many thanks.

Now where were you a year and a half ago when I was looking for good ghost towns to visit in Alberta? Sorry I can't help on the San Antonio thing; I've never been there but you may want to look under Texas on the website. Best of luck finding what you want to see!

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
    Hello friends: I am an avid ghost towner from Alberta, Canada. In early May I am going to San Antonio for four days and was wondering if anybody can tell me if there are any photogenic ghost towns (or grain elevators) within an hour's drive of San Antonio. I would greatly appreciate any help on this. Many thanks.

Default Ghost Towns near San Antonio

Well i know of quite a few.
    There is Fairview, Graytown
    and Verdi in Wilson County
    as well as Marcellina.Black Hill is is Atacosa county.There is also,Zunkerville, El Oso, Darelik
    Three Oaks,and Denhawken.
    Zorn on Texas Hwy 123 to San Marcos, also Laubach(not much there),Senior in Bexar County south of San Antonio,Peyton Colony,Jakes Colony,and various other ones.
    Go to www.texasescapes.com and click on ghost towns,Texas Hill country for some,as well as south texas plains,etc.
    You can go out US HWy 87 and drive through Pandora,which still has a few people .
    there a lot around here.
    Hilda Siding in Guadalupe County has no buildings standing I know of. It was near the railroad tracks on FM 78 and Short Cut road near McQueeny.
    If you go I-35 North, you can get off the acess road and go past Bussy's Flea Market. Keep going and you can cross over the interstate.I forgot the number of the farm to market road, but you go through the area known as Ogden which was a little company town.I think there is still a highway sign for it. If you turn to the right at the T intersection,you can follow the roadand come out in the community of Comal.
    You can contact the Texas Department of Transporation and purchase maps of the various counties near San Antonio .
    In Medina county on USHWY 90 West you will see a sign for Elstone Road, and on your right over the railroad tracks there was is a store building and what's left of the town of Elstone.Biry is on Tx Hwy 173,not much left but an old store building.
    There is also Quihi and New Fountain,old communities founded by Alsatians brought over by Count Henry Castro in the 1840s.

The Texas Highway department I understand also has some maps from the 1930s which you can purchase.I believe they are reprints.These would give the locations of some of these towns.
    Some like Oakley in Bexar County are just cemeteries.
    Also check out Hackberry in Fayette County.It consists of an old stone store and a couple of Victorian Gothic design houses.Or is it Lavaca county/
    near San Antonio there are several painted Catholic churches .They are so called because their interiors are elaborately painted inside.
    Check out Texas Escapes like I said,they have the history and even photos of some of these places near San Antonio.

Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    Well i know of quite a few.
    There is Fairview, Graytown
    and Verdi in Wilson County
    as well as Marcellina.Black Hill is is Atacosa county.There is also,Zunkerville, El Oso, Darelik
    Three Oaks,and Denhawken.
    Zorn on Texas Hwy 123 to San Marcos, also Laubach(not much there),Senior in Bexar County south of San Antonio,Peyton Colony,Jakes Colony,and various other ones.
    Go to www.texasescapes.com and click on ghost towns,Texas Hill country for some,as well as south texas plains,etc.
    You can go out US HWy 87 and drive through Pandora,which still has a few people .
    there a lot around here.
    Hilda Siding in Guadalupe County has no buildings standing I know of. It was near the railroad tracks on FM 78 and Short Cut road near McQueeny.
    If you go I-35 North, you can get off the acess road and go past Bussy's Flea Market. Keep going and you can cross over the interstate.I forgot the number of the farm to market road, but you go through the area known as Ogden which was a little company town.I think there is still a highway sign for it. If you turn to the right at the T intersection,you can follow the roadand come out in the community of Comal.
    You can contact the Texas Department of Transporation and purchase maps of the various counties near San Antonio .
    In Medina county on USHWY 90 West you will see a sign for Elstone Road, and on your right over the railroad tracks there was is a store building and what's left of the town of Elstone.Biry is on Tx Hwy 173,not much left but an old store building.
    There is also Quihi and New Fountain,old communities founded by Alsatians brought over by Count Henry Castro in the 1840s.

The Texas Highway department I understand also has some maps from the 1930s which you can purchase.I believe they are reprints.These would give the locations of some of these towns.
    Some like Oakley in Bexar County are just cemeteries.
    Also check out Hackberry in Fayette County.It consists of an old stone store and a couple of Victorian Gothic design houses.Or is it Lavaca county/
    near San Antonio there are several painted Catholic churches .They are so called because their interiors are elaborately painted inside.
    Check out Texas Escapes like I said,they have the history and even photos of some of these places near San Antonio.
    Thanks so much for this. Whick place would you say is the best for taking photos?

Default Ghost towns near San Antonio,texas

Well as far as photos go,
    Hackberry is a good place since you have the houses and the store.At Texas Escapes theyhave a photo of the store building in fact.
    Moravia,a town near Schulenberg,and there's High Hill,St.John,and several others inthat area have churches you can visit and photograph the insides of.
    Ottine,out near Gonzales has some interesting buildings.It is not a total ghost,but is not as large as it once was.
    Quihi and New Fountain have old churches and some old houses to photograph,that's out in Medina county.
    Fariview in Wilson has a church and a few buildings, as does Calaveras.
    Kyote has a store building as does Nickel by Gonzales,but that's about it.
    Guess it depends on what you want to take photos of.
    Bracken which is north east of San Antonio on Nacodoches Road,has some buildings,like the hanging Tree Saloon,plus the bracken Cafe.I have eaten there in the past,and they have good food.It was a ghost town,with a few people living there, but now they are starting to build in that area.
    If you follow nacodoches Rd. from Bracken you will come out in Comal and there are some old store buildings.
    By the way,on the local news they said due to lack of rain,we probably won't have a very good showing of blue bonnets.
    There are grain elevators around here.there are some in Marion,just down the road from me and elsewhere around here.
    Check out Luling .It isn't that far from San Antonio and they have various oil pumpers in town,some of which they have attached wooden or metal figures to,like a big watermelon,etc.
    In fact in June,they have a watermelon festival., as does Stockdale,down the road aways.

Default ghost Towns near San Antonio,Tx

by the way if you get to Luling,The City Market there has i understand very good BBQ. from there you can go to
    Lockhart and check out some of their bbq joints.
    There is a really nice state park at Blanco ,north of San Antonio on USHWY 281.
    not much to see in the ghost town of Twin Sisters,also on US281.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Talking

Hey Haunted..I Envy your eminent trip to San Antonio. One of my favorite spots to visit. Of course San Antonio itself is the site of several GTs. You didn't indicate your mode of transport to Texas. If you're flying, fine. If you are driving and come through Oklahoma, stop and visit. It will smell better, and you're less likely to step in something. Have a great trip. OJ

Thanks so much folks. I will check out these out and report to you later. I leave tomorrow morning (May 6). I am really excited. I have never before been to Texas.

Default Ghost Towns near San Antonio,Texas

Well,It's May 8th,so your on your way here.We hope you enjoy your trip.Weather around San Antonio is nice,but getting warm. There are wildflowers out now,just wish you could have seen the blue bonnets,but we just didn't have enough rain for them.
    Lots to do and see here,so have fun.

Thread Information