Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Underwater Ghost Towns

There are several sites in Northern CA

Negro Bar under Lake Natoma

Mormon Island and Rattlesnake Bar under Folsom Lake

Additionally, there are probably 30 to 40 old mining camps under Folsom Lake.
    Rockcrusher
    110,000 square miles of desert to play in . . . And the government owns 87% of it

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Town under Lake Almanor?

Hey Crusher, (speaking of northern california) you know what the name of the town was under Lake Almanor?

The lake is only 90' deep at it's deepest places. The locals said they could still see sunlight reflecting off the old tin roofs of the buildings underwater, and a few different times my father said he found stange radar readings on the fish-finder.

He thought they could have been buildings or foundations.

I know there's a graveyard they had to move for the town to higher ground.

Also, Bayocean in Oregon (Tillamook county) was re-claimed by the ocean. The pennensula it was built on apparantly lacked sea-walls, and the sand eroded after a series of storms, undermining the buildings. Today the pennensula is thinner, but home to a bird sanctuary.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/or/bayocean.html

I don't know much about that neighborhood. I found this in the Wikipedia article on Lake Almanor . . .

The present dam was constructed by Great Western Power, from 1926 to 1927, damming the North Fork of the Feather River and flooding the meadow-filled valley generally known as Big Springs. In the process, parts of the town of Prattville had to be moved to higher ground, while some structures were flooded over.
    Rockcrusher
    110,000 square miles of desert to play in . . . And the government owns 87% of it

Utah, The Hoskannini or Stanton Dredge is under Lake Powell near halls Crossing. It's actually a POI in Garmin/Topo.
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Rockcrusher View Post
    I don't know much about that neighborhood. I found this in the Wikipedia article on Lake Almanor . . .

Awesome! Back when I was trying to research this 1 year ago the wiki article was a stub. I'm glad to see somebody is giving it attention.

If you could stand the cold water, I bet scuba diving that lake could reveal some neat things. It's all ice-melt up there tho, brrrr!

I recently ran across an old article (1951) about a site east of Las Vegas variously known as Call's Landing, Callville and/or Fort Callville.

Apparently, it was the head of steam navigation on the lower Colorado River and is now under the water's of Lake Mead.

More research to follow . . .
    Rockcrusher

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarevna View Post
    Awesome! Back when I was trying to research this 1 year ago the wiki article was a stub. I'm glad to see somebody is giving it attention.

If you could stand the cold water, I bet scuba diving that lake could reveal some neat things. It's all ice-melt up there tho, brrrr!
    25ish years ago a friend of mine told me about the "ruins" under Lake Almanure (Almanure comes from the early/mid 1900s when the sewer chunks from Chester on the lake were thick enough to walk on) and suggested we dive on the spot. Late in that summer when the lake was low we were able to get to some of the old foundations w/o scuba. Both of us were avid AB divers so 20 to 30 foot dives were a breeze. Also the lake isn't all that cold late in the year since it's not very deep and warms up quickly. There isn't much there just stone and concrete work covered in slime and sediment.... RON

PS taking a "drive about" the first weekend in June through western NV. Will be stopping in Tonopah, Gabbs, Berlin, Belmont, Bodie, Navy Beach at Mono Lake and several other fun spots.

Quote Originally Posted by GS-RON View Post
    25ish years ago a friend of mine told me about the "ruins" under Lake Almanure (Almanure comes from the early/mid 1900s when the sewer chunks from Chester on the lake were thick enough to walk on) and suggested we dive on the spot. Late in that summer when the lake was low we were able to get to some of the old foundations w/o scuba. Both of us were avid AB divers so 20 to 30 foot dives were a breeze. Also the lake isn't all that cold late in the year since it's not very deep and warms up quickly. There isn't much there just stone and concrete work covered in slime and sediment.... RON

PS taking a "drive about" the first weekend in June through western NV. Will be stopping in Tonopah, Gabbs, Berlin, Belmont, Bodie, Navy Beach at Mono Lake and several other fun spots.

Wow! What part of the lake are the ruins located in?

And there's got to be plenty of artifacts down there.

One day I saw a kid skipping rocks on Almanor Lake's shore. I started skipping rocks too with him. Suddenly he threw his arm out and retracted it, not letting to of his rock. He looked at the palm of his hand and just stared.

Apparantly, he picked up a stone without looking at it, and it was "too flat." He almost tossed it! It was a gold peice.

I didn't know the kid, he just ran off to probably tell everybody and his folks about it. I searched ALL around for another but, of course, none were to be found.

Also, near Shasta, there was a Whiskeytown, now under Whiskeytown lake.
    Last edited by Tsarevna; 04-08-2008 at 05:35 PM. Reason: whiskeytown

Quote Originally Posted by GS-RON View Post
    . . . PS taking a "drive about" the first weekend in June through western NV. Will be stopping in Tonopah, Gabbs, Berlin, Belmont, Bodie, Navy Beach at Mono Lake and several other fun spots.
    We'll be making a similar 4WD trip around Memorial Day. Bodie to Wendover all on dirt roads.
    Rockcrusher

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarevna View Post
    Wow! What part of the lake are the ruins located in?

And there's got to be plenty of artifacts down there.

Also, near Shasta, there was a Whiskeytown, now under Whiskeytown lake.
    We were probably 100 yards off the dock near Plumas Pines. From what I've heard the old town that was covered by the lake is near the Dam.

If I remember right (seldom happens at my age) I have an old map that shows the area before the dam was built. I'll try and dig it up the eve and see if it shows anything fun. I know I have a few maps that show the area east and north of Quincy Ca before Davis Lake was there.

We were probably diving on an old ranch site or house. There was just a couple of foundations and such. Fiding any artifacts would be tough due to the silt being stirred up anytime you touch the bottom.

I still take a mask, snorkle and a pair of gloves up there every summer. It's fun to paddle around the shallows turning over rocks and catching crawdads for dinner.

Thread Information