Thread: Inspiration, Arizona

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Inspiration, Arizona

Is, or was Inspiration located in the vicinity of Globe and Miami, Arizona an actual town or just the name of the mining operation. I just discovered that my great grandfather was in charge of the construction of the smokestack and boiler plant. Don't know the exact time period though.

Tom

Last edited by Ghostdancer; 03-03-2008 at 04:57 PM.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Tom, It appears that "Inspiration" was indeed a town, although it sounds like more of a mining camp to me because there's no record I can find of a post office there.
    This is from "ARIZONA PLACE NAMES," by Will C. Barnes;
    Inspiration
    "Mining town and important copper camp about 3 miles west of Globe. "At one time the owners, being in hard straits for money, had the "inspiration" to borrow money from a bank. Being successful they called the mine "Inspiration," after the thought."
    You might stop at the Mining Museum across from the Old Dominion Mine in Globe and check their archives for further information and maybe even photographs of the smokestack and boiler plant being built. Donna Anderson who volunteers at the museum would be a great person to contact, she's written extensively on the area and is very knowledgeable.
    You might also be interested in seeing this, you might find some pertinent dates here;
    Last edited by LauraA; 03-03-2008 at 05:01 PM.

By my "great" I meant my great grandfather (made edit). He was also the superintendant for the construction of the Grand Canyon bridge across the Colorado River. I'm guessing the smokestack and boiler are still in existance. I'll keep this in mind the next time I drive that route on my way to Phoenix.

Tom
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Tom,

Inspiration was an actual town. It was located on Inspiration Consolidated Copper Company property, and was a "company town". It did have a Post Office, which was operational from 1879 to 1972. It also had a school, a store, and a hospital.

I was born in that company hospital, but never lived in the town. I grew up in Miami and Claypool. I haven't been there in many years, but I'm planning a trip soon.

Inspiration started as a Silver Mining camp in the 1870's. It became a true ghost town when the last people were moved out by Phelps-Dodge in 1984, when they bought ICCCo from Occidental.

The town itself was located up on the hill, directly north of downtown Miami, although the access road to get up there was several miles to the east near the International Smelter. The actual Inspiration Mine was a couple of miles west of the town, and has been an open pit operation for many years.

The last I heard, it is now on foreign-owned mining company property, and I don't know if tours are even possible. I'm not sure if any town buildings remain. Much of the old smelter has been torn down as improvements were made.

There are several mining operations in the Globe-Miami area, and there have been several smelters and power plants around there. Do you have any more information about your Gr-Grandfather's project? I'm guessing it was at the International Smelter up on Inspiration Hill. It was built in 1913 by ISRCo, and there were several major expansion projects over the years until it was purchased by ICCCo in 1960. They built an entire new smelter on the same location in the early 70's. The old smokestacks were left alone that time.

If you can narrow down the date, I can probably shed some more light on it for you, and maybe send some pictures.

If you go, let me know. I can give you some directions and more info.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    Tom,

Inspiration was an actual town. It was located on Inspiration Consolidated Copper Company property, and was a "company town". It did have a Post Office, which was operational from 1879 to 1972. It also had a school, a store, and a hospital.

I was born in that company hospital, but never lived in the town. I grew up in Miami and Claypool. I haven't been there in many years, but I'm planning a trip soon.

Inspiration started as a Silver Mining camp in the 1870's. It became a true ghost town when the last people were moved out by Phelps-Dodge in 1984, when they bought ICCCo from Occidental.

The town itself was located up on the hill, directly north of downtown Miami, although the access road to get up there was several miles to the east near the International Smelter. The actual Inspiration Mine was a couple of miles west of the town, and has been an open pit operation for many years.

The last I heard, it is now on foreign-owned mining company property, and I don't know if tours are even possible. I'm not sure if any town buildings remain. Much of the old smelter has been torn down as improvements were made.

There are several mining operations in the Globe-Miami area, and there have been several smelters and power plants around there. Do you have any more information about your Gr-Grandfather's project? I'm guessing it was at the International Smelter up on Inspiration Hill. It was built in 1913 by ISRCo, and there were several major expansion projects over the years until it was purchased by ICCCo in 1960. They built an entire new smelter on the same location in the early 70's. The old smokestacks were left alone that time.

If you can narrow down the date, I can probably shed some more light on it for you, and maybe send some pictures.

If you go, let me know. I can give you some directions and more info.

Ken
    From what I understand my GGF was with Kansas City Structural Steel. I don't know anything about the Inspiration project or the time period. I just recently learned of this from a cousin.

Tom

Default Inspiration,Az

I lived on Inspiration from 1973 thru 1978. I missed the heyday when the school and store were open. When we moved there the gas station and post office were still open although the gas station was only for company vehicles. I believe the area where our house was is now part of the pit. I lived on main street, and the other housing areas were Smelter, Moonshine hill, lower circle and upper circle. The post office didn't close until around 1980.

My oldest son was born at the old hospital up the hill. My brother lived in one of the Inspiration company houses. I've shopped at the Inspiration company store many times when I was a kid. I worked for Inspiration twice, once in the open pit and once at the smelter. All my relatives have worked at one of the three major mines at one time time or another. Miami Copper, Copper cities, and Inspiration. The company store was a contradiction to all the horror stories you hear about company stores. Every quarter the net profit from the store was returned to the customers on a perecentage basis, based on what you spent.

It's lots of fun to be from a ghost town! I was born in the Miami-Inspiration Hospital on a hill above Miami, Arizona, and was taken to my parents home on Moonshine Hill within the townsite of Inspiration. The company had built the homes for the salary employees during the 1930's, and provided the maintenance for the rented houses. The rent was a nominal sum of $35 dollars per month, with water provided for free.

By age three, my family moved to Lower Circle, directly below the Benjamin Franklin School. Age four found me living in 22 Lower Circle, where I lived until I graduated from University of Arizona, in Tucson.

The mine was purchased by Cyprus Minerals Corporation in 1988, and Cyprus was unable to use the "Inspiration" name for the site. It was change to Cyprus Miami, and remained with this name when Phelps Dodge purchased the Cyprus-Amax Minerals Corporation. Phelps Dodge acquired Cyprus in December 2000 and Freeport McMoRan acquired Phelps Dodge on March 17, 2007.

My grandfather worked for the Inspiration Consoldited Copper Company for 45 years, and my father retired from Inspiration with 46 years of service. My retirement was from the successor, Freeport McMoRan Gold and Copper, with a paltry 38 total years of service.

The housing, store, post office, and service station was active until the early 1970's. (memory gets sketchy) I helped my father and mother move from Inspiration in 1984. They were some of the last residents of the houses that the company provided.

Thread Information