Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost Town & Historical reference books

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Ghost Town & Historical reference books

This thread is to be used for posting of books of any sort that can be used in referencing Ghost Towns and Historical Sites.

Whether they be a favorite map book, writings of famous people from historical eras and places, or just a book covering the topic at hand that you feel is worth mentioning, feel free to post it up here for others to find.

Please keep in mind the copyright laws when posting any information from a book.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I'll get it started

Walter R. Averett grew up in Carp, NV and has written two very informative, and enjoyable books on the surrounding area (Lincoln County, NV) titled:

"Through the Rainbow Canyon" ISBN 0-87062-237-4

"Beyond the Ranges" ISBN 0-87062-279-x

Both books are written using researched information, and notes taken from first hand accounts or the occasional recollection. Both are also full of old photos of the places in discussion, making them alone worth the read.

The only bad thing is they are currently out of print, but I have seen them used on Amazon.com and they can be found on Ebay occasionally.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Default Walt Averett

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    I'll get it started

Walter R. Averett grew up in Carp, NV and has written two very informative, and enjoyable books on the surrounding area (Lincoln County, NV) titled:

"Through the Rainbow Canyon" ISBN 0-87062-237-4

"Beyond the Ranges" ISBN 0-87062-279-x

Both books are written using researched information, and notes taken from first hand accounts or the occasional recollection. Both are also full of old photos of the places in discussion, making them alone worth the read.

The only bad thing is they are currently out of print, but I have seen them used on Amazon.com and they can be found on Ebay occasionally.

Walt and I sometimes communicate. He lives in Grand Junction, Colorado and the first book he wrote “Directory of Southern Nevada Place Names” is also a must for exploring in Clark and Lincoln County. I used that book as a starting place for much of the research I have done!
    Yet Another Bob

A new book, recently published is "Ghost Towns and Mining Districts of Montana', for those of you that are interestested in Montana Ghost towns and mining history.
    It divides the state into counties and then into mining districts. Each mining district lists its history from its original location, its mining production, and the history of any camps, towns, (or in the case of Butte and Helena) cities that are now or where there. It is illustrated with archival photos and current photos so that the reader can compare what a place was like then, as to what remains today. It was thoroughly researched and 95% of the places were visited by the author. It can be reviewed or purchased on line at www.terryhalden.com or at any Hastings Store in Montana.
    It has been compared favorably with Muriel Sibell Woole's "Montana Pay Dirt" which since it's publication in the 1950s has been considered the bible with respect to Montana Ghost Town books.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default A good resource for finding mines in Arizona

One of the best resources we've found is a set of maps from The Arizona Department of Mines and Mineral Resources. The form to order maps for your specific county can be found here, DMMR - Publication List The maps can't be ordered online, but you can print out the form and send a check. Maps are fairly inexpensive and each set comes with a "key" booklet, identifying the mine and the minerals it produced. I suspect many states that have mining taking place would offer something similar.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Arizona Pioneer Reading

Some good reading about the early pioneers of Gila County can be found here. Git A Rope Publishing, Art And Antiques Inc. We've got several of their books, including "Pioneer Women of Gila County" a two volume set. The books are comprised of first person reports from the early settlers in Gila County. Interesting reading and a with a bit of detective work, it's a good resource for finding some of the bygone, out of the way ranches and towns.

I just got "Southern Idaho Ghost Towns" by Wayne Sparling. Pretty good book. It has a brief history of each GT/mine, b&w pictures. The maps are pretty crude, not very detailed, but they are somewhat useful. If your interested in GT's in Southern ID, this book has a lot of GT's in it I hadn't heard of. It's worth the $10 or so for the book...
    -Steve
    http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member2686.png
    TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan 06 near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten...

Wow

Good topic, I just went into my Library, (actually the family room in the basement) I was going to list some of my favorites. As I stood there in front of 7 book shelves all over 7 ft tall and 4 ft wide I realized it was a task I did not want to tackle. Did I mention the drafting board with a stack of maps? I have books and Journals dating back to the late 1800s and early 1900's for the US. Journels from foreign countries as late as the 17 century. Actually my favorite there is the German Dr journal and how he practices medicine.

Anyway I digress. One of the ones I recently uncovered was the WPA works done in the late 30's and early 40's as part of the "New Deal" and the "Federal Writers Project". typically realatively inexpense ( unlike some of my other books) and available for numerous states. Another good source for old ghost town books is the local "Friends of the Library" book sales. That is how I filled most of the bookshelves.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Default Nevadas Ghost and Mining Towns

I have had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Stanley Paher who wrote Nevada Ghost and Mining Towns. This is a great three book series, The main hardback has history of alot of Nevada's history and then he has two paperback books(Northern and Southern)Which have a little history about sites and maps to help locate these. If your in Nevada you ought to check these out.

@&#^ another book I don't have... Sounds like some good info.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Thread Information