Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost Town & Historical reference books

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    I have had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Stanley Paher who wrote Nevada Ghost and Mining Towns. This is a great three book series, The main hardback has history of alot of Nevada's history and then he has two paperback books(Northern and Southern)Which have a little history about sites and maps to help locate these. If your in Nevada you ought to check these out.

I second the Paher books. Any of them really, as he has quite a few. The ghost town Atlas also comes in a combined form (the one I use) and is supposed to be more updated map wise.

"Nevada Ghost Town and Mining Camps"

This book goes more into the history of why, what and who than actually where.

ISBN-13: 978-0913814048

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Nevada-Ghost-T...592475&sr=1-11

"Nevada Ghost Towns & Mining Camps: Illustrated Atlas"

This book is more of "where" than the other. It has simple maps that can get you there, though I'd recommend arming yourself with either the DeLorme or Benchmark Nevada Atlas's to be safe. This book comes in either paperback or hardbound. This particular linked one is hard bound.

ISBN-13: 978-0913814116

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Nevada-Ghost-T...pd_sim_b_img_1

While on Amazon, you can see some of his other books available. Borders and B. Dalton also sell his books.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default "Catch The Stage To Phoenix"

"Catch The Stage To Phoenix" written by Leland L. Hanchett, Jr.
    A terrific book filled with historical accounts of the stagecoaches that ran from various points in Arizona to Phoenix. It's got loads of great photos and maps.
    I believe it can still be purchased from Pine Rim Products

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I went to a used bookstore today and found Ghosts and Ghost Towns Southeastern Arizona by W. J. "Jack" Way published in 1968 (2nd Edition) original edition 1966. Looks like a vanity press thing sold by the Tombstone Restoration Commission.

I could cry. Looking at the pictures of Black Diamond, Middlemarch, Washington Camp, Oro Blanco and others. So much has vanished, closed off or been destroyed since 1966.
    He gives directions, will try to see how good they are after all the years (dubious at best!) and see what is still left. I would like to see Richmond and Watervale. Tombstone is just a tourist trap.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Online Bookseller

I found this link for a bookseller in Scottsdale, AZ. Check out his Western titles. I haven't ordered anything from him yet, but I can see it happening in the very near future. Guidon Books

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

It does look like quite a place to bookmark! Am currently reading GHOSTS OF THE ADOBE WALLS by Nell Murbarger 1964 Westernlore Press. She details her travels to hundreds of Arizona Ghost Towns in the '50's and '60's.
    Obviously, the sheer numbers and quality of the areas have declined since her day. Still a great read.

H.L. Mencken

Ghosts Of The Adobe Walls is a great read. I found my copy on Amazon. Sadly for us, Nell Murbarger saw these places while they were in their "prime" (as prime as a ghost town can be).
    There's a quote written by Rollin Dagget, she uses in the forward of her book, "I drink alone and in silence, to the builders of the West: Long life to the hearts still beating, And peace to the hearts that rest."
    To that, I say Amen...

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Nell Murbarger is considered by many as the creator of "Ghost Towning". Her pictures and stories got a lot of people interested in going to these places, as well as motivating many to help preserve them. Anything you can find by her is worth the effort IMO.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

I concur. So far, it's been a fantastic read. She bounces all over Arizona and describes the ruins so well!
    So many ruins, so little time!

H.L. Mencken

Has anyone read GALEYVILLE, ARIZONA TERRORITY 1880: ITS HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGY by Brooks White? I picked it up the other week in Tombstone and haven't had a chance to read it yet? I talked to the clerk about Richmond and Watervale. She was an old timer there, just two years and had never heard of them.

H.L. Mencken

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Has anyone read GALEYVILLE, ARIZONA TERRORITY 1880: ITS HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGY by Brooks White? I picked it up the other week in Tombstone and haven't had a chance to read it yet? I talked to the clerk about Richmond and Watervale. She was an old timer there, just two years and had never heard of them.
    I read it, long on archaeology & short on history, but worth a spin. Other than Ringo's hijacking a poker game & Curly Bill's being shot in the mouth I've not run across much factual history on Galeyville.

I can recommend the book for it's in depth ****ysis of shoe buttons.
    <

I just previewed this & the fushluginer censor removed a n a l from part of a word. how **** is that?!

<<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Thread Information