Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zena, Oregon, new ghost town

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Smile Zena, Oregon, new ghost town

Here's my report I just typed up about a ghost town I stumbled upon. I can't beleive there's ghost towns 10 miles away from Salem! Seems it's right next to Bethel.

(The <p> is HTML code where a new paragraph will begin.)

Here it is, enjoy!

Zena, Polk County, Oregon

The community was established in 1858 with the orignal name of "Spring Valley," ten miles northwest of Salem. The following year, a church was erected by volunteer labor. The lumber for the church was transported by boat on the Willamette River to nearby river town of Lincoln. The church bell also came by boat, imported all the way from England and shipped around the tip of South America via Cape Horn. <p>

In 1866, Daniel Jackson Cooper and his brother built a store in Spring Valley, and aquired the post office. They renamed the town "Zena," in honour of their wives, Melzena and Arvazena.<p>

A sketch of the town, drawn by a Zena historian in 1961, depicts several structures: the church and it's cemetary, the parsonage, blacksmith's shop, horse shed, store, the post office, a cabin, a cottage, the grist mill and the grange hall. A photo of a report card from 1892 testifies to the existence of a Zena school at one time.<p>

It is unknown which structures and how many original houses still stand, however, the church is reportedly still holding services on Sunday, and is sometimes the site of weddings. It is known as Spring Valley Presbyterian church or Zena Church, and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. According to wikipedia.org, the cemetary adjacent to the church is called "Bethel Cemetary," and local residents continue to bury their dead there. (This is interesting, as there is a nearby ghost town called Bethel.) The pioneer cemetary is said to contain approximately 100 headstones. <p>

The article also mentions that the town is reputed to be the site of paranormal activity, drawing the attention of ghost hunting enthusiasts. It is said that visitors sometimes catch a glimpse of a silhouetted man, riding a bicycle, who then disappears.

http://photos.salemhistory.org/cdm4/...=0&x=172&y=166
    http://photos.salemhistory.org/cdm4/...PTR=578&REC=10
    http://photos.salemhistory.org/cdm4/...OPTR=575&REC=5

wow cool this ones in driving distance

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarevna View Post
    Here's my report I just typed up about a ghost town I stumbled upon. I can't beleive there's ghost towns 10 miles away from Salem! Seems it's right next to Bethel.

(The <p> is HTML code where a new paragraph will begin.)

Here it is, enjoy!

Zena, Polk County, Oregon

The community was established in 1858 with the orignal name of "Spring Valley," ten miles northwest of Salem. The following year, a church was erected by volunteer labor. The lumber for the church was transported by boat on the Willamette River to nearby river town of Lincoln. The church bell also came by boat, imported all the way from England and shipped around the tip of South America via Cape Horn. <p>

In 1866, Daniel Jackson Cooper and his brother built a store in Spring Valley, and aquired the post office. They renamed the town "Zena," in honour of their wives, Melzena and Arvazena.<p>

A sketch of the town, drawn by a Zena historian in 1961, depicts several structures: the church and it's cemetary, the parsonage, blacksmith's shop, horse shed, store, the post office, a cabin, a cottage, the grist mill and the grange hall. A photo of a report card from 1892 testifies to the existence of a Zena school at one time.<p>

It is unknown which structures and how many original houses still stand, however, the church is reportedly still holding services on Sunday, and is sometimes the site of weddings. It is known as Spring Valley Presbyterian church or Zena Church, and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. According to wikipedia.org, the cemetary adjacent to the church is called "Bethel Cemetary," and local residents continue to bury their dead there. (This is interesting, as there is a nearby ghost town called Bethel.) The pioneer cemetary is said to contain approximately 100 headstones. <p>

The article also mentions that the town is reputed to be the site of paranormal activity, drawing the attention of ghost hunting enthusiasts. It is said that visitors sometimes catch a glimpse of a silhouetted man, riding a bicycle, who then disappears.

http://photos.salemhistory.org/cdm4/...=0&x=172&y=166
    http://photos.salemhistory.org/cdm4/...PTR=578&REC=10
    http://photos.salemhistory.org/cdm4/...OPTR=575&REC=5

Great find Tsarevna....if you haven't already, you should submit this to GT.com.
    You can just barely make out the word Zena on the OR 1895 map, right above a town called Derry or something.

Default I'm on it

Submitting the ghost town now. Been sick past 2 weeks, man, some serious head-cold with sinus infection bug is going around!

Default Rickreal

I see it on the map!

From what I can tell, Derry is now called Rickreal. (Rick-ree-all.) I've been there, and it probably qualifies as a ghost-town too. It has 1 or 2 banks that operate, some stores and gas station. However, there's a grand downtown with many brick 1800s buildings, and many seem to be empty.

I've got to go back there and take some photos, if only gas wasn't $3.47 a gal!

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Tsarevna, that is a great find! I really loved the sketch/map of the old town. It's so evocative.
    That part of the world looks full of interesting finds.
    (I hate to say this again, but $3:47/gal is cheap, compared to what we pay - closer to $6. I'm thinking of investing in a horse and buggy!)
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

Thumbs down

I would like to tell you about a church its called Spring Valley Zena church. Many people told me that it was a haunted church. So a group of my friends and myself decide to go and check it out. When we got there we just ignored the no trespassing signs. Which we knew was wrong but we still did it any ways. Then the keepers of the church came out and did a citizens arrest on us until the local authorities came. When the authorities got there we were placed under arrest and the cop gave us a citation. We went to court we got booked. They handcuffed us and took us down to jail. I have never been so embarrassed in my whole life. They finger printed us and asked us a whole punch of questions., they took are pictures. When we went back to the court for are punishment we got 1,000-dollar fine and 64 hours of community service. So Iím telling everyone not to go out to Zena church because you will be arrested and charged with trespassing in the second degree. And the judge said if he seeís anymore of these cases he would put you in jail. So do not go to this church.

Are you asking us not to worship at this church? Or do you mean for us not to break the law and tresspass on the property?
    Last edited by Jeanette; 05-14-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Why are you worried about gas? According to the site, you're a bi-cycling ghost towner

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarevna View Post

I've got to go back there and take some photos, if only gas wasn't $3.47 a gal!

I went there once in the early morning, around 9 am, and there was blood dripping from the door in the church. It was kinda creepy, no evp's tho. Now it has been removed from alot of ghost sites. I think the owners have had enough.

Thread Information