Thread: Como and King coal mine Colorado

Default Como and King coal mine Colorado

I making plans for Colorado and when I was young I use to vist and drive by Como many times, but I just found out about King which is about 3 miles Southeast of Como. I also found out it was called Como and the town started in 1884 and ended in 1896. I found 1 picture when the town was alive. I know that in 1893 there was 24 person killed at this coal mine, I would like to know if anyone has information about the Chinese people that were killed in 1885. I haven't found any informaion but would like to know. I did contact USMRA which is coal miner records, but when looking throught the records they have almost nothing for Chinese works.

Thanks for any help
    Mike

Default Found out about King or Como

I plan to go to Colorado next month and I wanted to find out why the town of King closed down and about the many deaths.
    This is a link to information about this coal mine town.http://www.cozine.com/archive/cc2005/01400151.html

This gave me some information, but I found it strange that when you look up mining safety they list the deaths, but when you look at the records you'll notice they don't list Chinese deaths. I wonder how many Chinese dieded during the railraod and ore mining happen? I wanted info for this area because I drove by it for 20 years and didn't even know it was there.

Mike
    San Diego

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Mike, you might find this article interesting. It mentions the deaths of 35 Chinese miners, killed in a coal dust/methane gas explosion in 1893 at Como. Colorado Central Magazine October 2005 Page 15 (it looks like the bodies are still buried in the mine)
    In our area of Arizona, it's often difficult to find details about the lives and deaths of the many Chinese miners and workers who lived here, I guess back then, little importance was placed on them because of their mostly misunderstood culture.
    You'll probably have to dig a bit deeper to find information. There could be a Chinese Society in Colorado, they might have compiled some records, it could be another angle for you to check out.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by LauraA; 07-05-2008 at 04:10 AM.

Interesting research! I've driven past Como a few times going to Fairplay and Gunnison but I never knew about the King mine or the accidents.
    Crazy girl Photographing Ghost Towns! Great Success!!!

Thread Information