Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of vehicle gets you there?

Default 1990 LaForza

Talk about laughing, I have a 1990 LaForza which is an Italian military vehicle 4WD with a Maserati interior and Ford 302 engine. It had a wiring fire and other problems with the brakes. It has been so unreliable with strange problems I sometimes wonder if the truck is haunted - not a good feeling. I have been too afraid/scared to drive it out in the desert. But when I finally get it fixed and have enough nerve to take it ghost towning I will post a report. Here is a pic of the truck:

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/c0bru1s/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]http://image.motortrend.com/f/miscellaneous/a-laforza-to-be-reckoned-with/9908361+cr1+re0+ar1/laforza-front.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sbruce View Post
    Talk about laughing, I have a 1990 LaForza which is an Italian military vehicle 4WD with a Maserati interior and Ford 302 engine. It had a wiring fire and other problems with the brakes. It has been so unreliable with strange problems I sometimes wonder if the truck is haunted - not a good feeling. I have been too afraid/scared to drive it out in the desert. But when I finally get it fixed and have enough nerve to take it ghost towning I will post a report. Here is a pic of the truck:

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/c0bru1s/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]http://image.motortrend.com/f/miscellaneous/a-laforza-to-be-reckoned-with/9908361+cr1+re0+ar1/laforza-front.jpg
    I have actually seen a Laforza. I had to get out of my truck to go look and see what the **** it was. 351 or 302 Fords in them if I remember right. I would imagine they are very difficult to get parts for.

Default LaForza parts

"I would imagine they are very difficult to get parts for."

Yes, the engine is a 1990 Ford 302 5.0 liter mustang GT type with a Jeep Wagoneer NP229 transfer case and a Ford AOD tranny, so all of that is pretty easy to find parts for. And all of the high performance AFR heads etc and Edelbrock intake can be fitted if so inclined (ie if the lucky owner is crazy enough to throw away $$$ on a Laforza) .

The NP229 Wagoneer transfer case is fairly rare in itself, but does work well, and the 4WD seems to be the most reliable feature of the truck besides the 5.0 EFI engine.

The axles and brakes are Iveco which is more expensive, but the guy who bought the Laforza dealership is located in LA and he services and sells all the Iveco parts for them.

The truck is nearly 2 1/2 tons and quite heavy + 20 years old, and I am reluctant to push it too hard out in the remote desert until it has a lot more maintenance and work done. There is a Laforza for sale on ebay motors today, reading between the lines the seller only drove it about 1K miles and decided to get rid of it!

Happy 4 wheeling!

I saw one on Ebay a couple years ago that needed a bumper cover (which is probably impossible to get) and it went pretty cheap considering (IIRC @ $3200-500).

Default Outback

A few months ago I got a Subaru Outback as my "all around" vehicle. It doesn't do any one thing particularly well, but it does lots of things well enough to get by. It can drive through dirt, snow and sand, so it will be my ghost town exploration vehicle.

Here's a photo from my recent trip to the Superior Valley north of Barstow:

Last edited by shirohniichan; 07-23-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Wow, some nice rides here!

Now I get to play Captain Obvious:

I've owned a slew of highly-modified 4x4s over the years, but this one is my favorite: '01 Dodge 2500 4x4 with Cummins Turbo Diesel: new injectors, cold air intake, high-flow intercooler crossover, DD tuner, 5-inch exhaust, and full RedLine synthetic fluids throughout (engine, tranny, axles, t-case, you name it). New high-volume fuel transfer pump & fuel lines; 2-inch front leveling kit, 35-inch Nitto Mud Grapplers on 16-inch Weld aluminum wheels (with full-size spare in bed), Johnnie Joint track bar drop mount, and a ton of small mods. Front wheel center caps are removed since I plan on installing the DynaTrac free-spin hub conversion kit soon. Hope to be able to install an ARB bullbar front bumper & front receiver hitch soon, so I can use a winch on front or rear simply by mounting it in one of the receiver hitches. Since I removed the stock spare tire & mount from underneath the bed long ago, I'd love to install an auxiliary fuel tank there...along with a full-on FASS setup, new turbo & intercooler, head studs, hardened valve seats, new high-flow exhaust manifold, etc....

Best of all, I want to repaint it camoflage whenever I get the chance (ACU or MARPAT desert, I can't decide). I'm in the process of perfecting my templates by applying an ACU pattern with DuraCoat on an AR15 rifle as practice.

Holy cow, this post has gone on tooooo long....
    Last edited by silverstate55; 07-24-2009 at 02:50 AM.

Drive to a certain point and use my feet. Most of the ghost towns that I have been to are along railroads. Such as the old Santa Fe, Great Northern and SPS.

I needed to have more passenger space this weekend to get to the trail, so I dove my Prius up a seven mile dirt road to the top of a mountain and there we started our hike. The Prius did better than the Willys or my Tacoma with the posi rear.

Who knew. We did hit bottom once but that was all driver error.

The cool thing about this trail was that it is more than fifty years old and hasn't been used in twenty. We had to find it for 3 1/2 miles down the side of the mountain by following a series of "blazes" on the sides of trees. There were hundreds of these markings from fifty years ago and they had all healed but were still obvious to the trained eye.

Great hike. At the bottom of the trail was a marijuana farm that hadn't operated for a while. Lots of water all the way down, azaleas, columbine, a king snake, beautiful.

NJ
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Here are the rest of the photo's.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Johnson View Post

Great hike. At the bottom of the trail was a marijuana farm that hadn't operated for a while.

NJ
    Just a word of warning here. Time to get out quick. You never know when they might be back or who's watching from where. And, they're usually heavily armed and take no prisoners.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Thread Information