Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of vehicle gets you there?

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

[quote=LauraA;31487]
    Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post

Uh huh I'd like to have one of those too, trail ready right from the manufacturer but it's okay Brian, you've seen the places our Old Peep's Jeep can go, it works for us.
    There's this collection of employees from an oldies radio station http://www.oldiesmusicradio.com/

that have been bulding and using the crappiest vehicles you will ever see to explore the desert. The web site makes interesting reading. Believe it or not, this is one of their "cheep jeeps".

Update: It looks like they stopped using "cheep jeeps" a few years ago. Still an interesting read.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by brian10x; 03-25-2008 at 06:38 AM.

I myself own a 3500 Cummins/Dodge. This one is 2wd, but I've had one in 4wd.

Quite possibly one of the greatest engines on earth, but by God, the sum***** is HEAVY! I was too afraid of digging my own sinkhole when I owned one.
    Yes, it is a heavy s.o.b.! Definately is the best turbo diesel in a pick-up. Mine has made the trip up and down the Alaska Highway twice while loaded down and never failed to start, even in -30 degree temps. Price of diesel is hurting right now, tho...
    -Steve
    http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member2686.png
    TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan 06 near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten...

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Yes, it is a heavy s.o.b.! Definately is the best turbo diesel in a pick-up. Mine has made the trip up and down the Alaska Highway twice while loaded down and never failed to start, even in -30 degree temps. Price of diesel is hurting right now, tho...
    Thats why my primary vehicle is a 1981 diesel Rabbit. 50mpg but slowwwww as molasses.

(Picture taken during recent engine swap)

The wife and I use my '04 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab (my 3rd Toy truck).

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    The wife and I use my '04 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab (my 3rd Toy truck).
    Nice truck! Odds are, your first and second Toyota trucks are still on the road as well. (Or off the road as the case may be.)

Nice truck! Odds are, your first and second Toyota trucks are still on the road as well. (Or off the road as the case may be.)
    Thanks!

My old '89 XtraCab is but I beleive my '91 4Runner was wrecked. Its a shame too. It only had @ 245k on it when I sold it and ran like a top. Both were 22RE/5 speeds.

Gonna put some bumpers & sliders on this Summer. The roof rack is sitting in the garage waiting for warmer weather here in MI.

"It only had @ 245k on it when I sold it "

By chance would it have been powered by the 22R engine?

They say you can fill the crankcase with stale urine and the radiator with good intentions and still make a cross-country trip.

"It only had @ 245k on it when I sold it "

By chance would it have been powered by the 22R engine?

They say you can fill the crankcase with stale urine and the radiator with good intentions and still make a cross-country trip.
    Yes it had the old 22RE. An old wheeling buddy of mine had an '85 4Runner with @ 180k on it (too bad it had the auto trans.) I was with him when he sucked water into the engine. We popped the plugs and got the water out. It took a bit but it fired up and managed to live @ another 10k before he replaced it with a 4.3 Chevy.

Oh yea, he water-logged it a couple more times in that 10k!! I was a long-time Chevy hot rodder when I was younger but that impressed me soooo much.

The wife's 04' Ford Escape has @ 135k on it but it makes more drivetrain noise than both my Toys put together. Its been a pretty good vehicle but a catastrophic failure with that in the next 10k won't surprise me. Luckily one of my best friends is s quality engineer for Mazda and the Tribute(same as the Escape) is one of his vehicles so I get any question answered personally and don't have to hear some BS from a service manager.

tuutuutango Guest

Default My rig... I can see Ghosts for miles & miles

My rig. I can go up 34 feet high and take a looksie like nobody else.
    Last edited by tuutuutango; 05-01-2008 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tuutuutango View Post
    My rig. I can go up 34 feet high and take a looksie like nobody else.

No fair! TuuTuu is cheating! TuuTuu is cheating!

Seriously, I'd love to have a rig like that, but it would only be useful after hours and hours of searching high clearance 4x4 trails. I'd be concerned with getting stuck with that van.

But, then, I've grown paranoid and over-cautious in my old age.

Thread Information