Thread: Need Old Gila County AZ Map

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Question Need Old Gila County AZ Map

I'm trying to find a map of Gila County, Arizona from the periods between 1885 to 1900, specifically the area up to the line between Maricopa and Gila counties. Any help would be appreciated.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Painkiller, Thanks for the response. I've got the 1895 map here at home, it doesn't have the detail I need. I checked out the 1887 map, it doesn't show the town I'm looking for. The 1914 map is too late, the town I'm looking for ceased to exist somewhere around 1900 or 1901.

If anyone has ever heard of, or has information about a town that might have existed between 1885 and 1900 or 1901, located on the NW side of Mt Ord, named Coatinville, or possibly Cotinville, please post. I'm going by word of mouth from old time locals, they seem reliable but unfortunately, there isn't a lot of detail in their descriptions.
    Last edited by LauraA; 03-24-2008 at 12:51 PM.

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Laura, is that location near the Payson highway, where you climb the hill (southbound)? In the 1960s there were miner's houses near the road and a large mine complex, all bulldozed out of existence in the 70s, I think, when they improved the road. I remember convincing my Dad to drive over to them once. The mine ruins had gigantic cog gears you could see from the highway. There is nothing left of that site today, though it might be worth kicking around a little. The location was just where the road jogs to the west to make the climb. Not sure if this is what you are thinking of.
    Last edited by campp; 03-24-2008 at 02:39 PM.

Campp, I believe you're talking about the Goswick claims above Slate Creek. The scant remains of the old mill and just a few foundations can be seen as you climb up to Mt Ord. There isn't a lot left to see there, although you're right, it's fun to poke around and sift through the bits and pieces left behind by the bulldozer.
    The place we're looking for was probably bulldozed or burned as well. It predates the Goswick claims which began in 1925 if I recall correctly. Coatinville would have been more to the north side of Mt Ord. It's really rough hiking through there, no roads remain but we've seen evidence in places where the road used to be. We feel we're on the right track judging by some of the things we've found in the vicinity.
    Right now, the Payson Hwy (Beeline) is closed, there was huge landslide just above the area you mentioned so we're having to postpone further exploration until the road reopens, of course by then, it'll probably be too hot, so we might have to wait 'til next winter before attempting it again.

I have like 3 other maps at home I can check later and let you know, where is Mt Ord?

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Hmm, that sounds right. Those houses as I recall looked to be about 1920s type vintage. Mt. Ord is a steep tough son-of-a-gun. You're right, roads are sparse. Been to the top.

Well, here's a gift, the two websites I use for old Maps of Arizona. The first website I checked and could not find any evidence of the town you're looking for...the second website I could not get the maps open on my work computer. Enjoy

http://azmemory.lib.az.us/cdm4/brows...OROOT=/shmmaps

http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/historical...ona/index.html

P.S. Two curious things I found on the maps. Liscum, AZ north of Cave Creek which Google Maps seems to know where it is as a Locale just off Spur Cross Rd. Yet I cannot find much info on it.

The other is just south of Willow Creek, North of Gilette, and South of Cottonwood Spring. It was called Hudson(s). It looks as if it was the halfway stage stop from Cave Creek to Bumble Bee.

campp, Yep, Mt Ord is a heck of a hike, one I see no reason to ever do again in this lifetime The place we're looking for isn't actually on Mt Ord proper, it's supposed to be on the North West side...somewhere.

Painkiller, Thanks for the aditional maps. Still no luck finding my town. Mt Ord is located in the Mazatzal Mtn Range, within the Tonto National Forest. Near the border between Gila & Maricopa counties.

It's intriguing that there's no mention of Coatinville or Cotinville in anything I've found, yet, a few oldtimers here swear it was there and that they even had relatives who lived there.

Thread Information