Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World's fair mine-thanks Joel!

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default World's fair mine-thanks Joel!

I explored the area around Flux Canyon in Southern Arizona today.

Thank you Joel for your excellent post on the subject and better pictures than I dare show here.

One question Joel: How did you find your way down to the mine? Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, trying not to drive off the edge and all, but once past the mine, I couldn't find a place wide enough to turn around.

The gate to Flux mine was down, but I was already past my nap time and getting grouchy. I wonder if that might be interesting.

Finally, visited my old friend Harshaw. Its a darn shame the roof is collapsing, but in a few decades, what we see now will seem like a lot to future explorers.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Nice shot! I had parked by Harshaw. I actually walked down the road to the mines. I just scampered down the hillside.
    There was another road that I wanted to explore. I use my girlfriend's FJ a bit, but prefer walking.
    I found a shrine in the middle of nowhere. Heck of a thing to find in the Patagonias and this is not the Telles Grotto Shrine either. It's over by Alum Gulch. I had gone down there to see the Humbolt Mine (which is a snoozer). If you were out today, you did well! I was stuck at work!

And you're right, it seems to be vanishing right before our eyes!

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Kind of creepy to find a shrine out in the middle of nowhere.

I admire your athletic ability. You're only 3 years younger than me. I'm trying to do more hiking but years of injuries and abuse make it a challenge.

If you find somewhere interesting to explore and you need a backup, send me a message. I'm a dedicated loner but trying to be more sociable!

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I'll do that. There's so much to see out here still. And then there's always the odd and unexpected things like that.
    Not much athletic ability, just lots of old USMC training still in my head. I was trained very well by professional psychotics to keep that pack on my back and carry that rifle high.

I am going to try to go down to Casa Piedra by Old Glory and Ruby later this week. It's on the border, so I really want to check it out first. That area is getting over-run these days!

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default The Telles Shrine

Thanks Joel.
    Last edited by Vulture; 03-29-2008 at 09:22 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Harshaw

More of Harshaw...
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Default And one more of Harshaw...

The dash blasted thing will only do one at a time....

Joel, was that makeshift shrine in your pics in the Harshaw cemetary? (You know, there are two cem's there)...
    Last edited by Vulture; 03-29-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I am going to try to go down to Casa Piedra by Old Glory and Ruby later this week. It's on the border, so I really want to check it out first. That area is getting over-run these days!
    I can't find anything on Casa Piedra that indicates it might be a ghost town. What do you know about the place?

I've always wanted to explore the house in the second picture, but it says "no trespassasing" (not that that has always stopped me) and some unfriendly looking people live in a house right across from it.

Thread Information