Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have questions about Yaquina City, Oysterville (Oregon)

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Very nice info there, thanks for sharing. Where did you say this map was?

Default Yaquina City and Oysterville

If you're traveling from the Willamette Valley, on Highway 20, keep an eye open for Chitwood, the first ghost town in a string. You can't miss Chitwood because of the big red covered bridge there. Used to be a nice, decrepit old store building on the far side of the bridge but I would not be surprised it it's fallen down since the last time I was there.

Continue west on Highway 20. Approx. 2.5 miles west of Chitwood, Elk City road takes off to the west. Turn off on Elk City Road. A few miles along, you'll pass through the site of Morrison, where a side road passes under the railroad tracks. There used to be a depot here, and not much else, and a branch line that went up to the Pioneer Quarry. Stone from this quarry was used to build the jetties at Newport, and also to build the Call Building and the U.S. Mint building in San Francisco.

Elk City is the next stop. It's not really a ghost town, since it was never any bigger or more populous that it is now. There was a covered bridge here once, but it was destroyed in a wind storm in November 1982, after it had been jacked up to begin restoration work.

Continue west on Elk City Road. To get to one of the sites of Oysterville, turn off on South Bay Road, which takes off just before the road crosses the river into Toledo. The 1942 Quad map shows Oysterville on the south side of the bay, where Pooles Slough enters the bay. There was an Oysterville station on the Oregon Pacific Railroad, on the North side of the bay, too. To get there, continue on Elk City road west until you come to Toledo. Stay down near the riverfront and look for the locomotive on display. Do not climb the hill to the highway, but leave town on the west end of the riverfront, either on NW 1st Street or Yaquina Bay Road.

Continue west on Yaquina Bay Road. You'll pass the remains of several trestles (the road is built on the grade of the old Oregon Pacific Railroad, and you'll pass through Oysterville station site without noticing because there is nothing old left there that I was ever able to find. There is a modern day oyster facility that I suspect marks the site of Oysterville on the old railroad grade. Continuing west you'll pass through the site of Winant station and reach Oneatta Point, where the bay and the road turns north and the road passes through a deep cut that had been dug for the railroad. There was a sawmill at this site in the early 1880s. One mile north of Oneatta Point you'll come to the south end of Yaquina City. Here is where the railroad roundhouse used to sit, as well as car shops and a foundry, and three oil tanks raised on concrete footing. There is a cluster of houses here, on the east side of the road, 500 feet south of Davis Lane. The house closest to the road has what looks to be a concrete planter sunk into the ground in the front yard - it's actually the ash pit where the railroad engines emptied the ashes from their fireboxes, and the turntable and roundhouse used to sit right in front of the ash pit. Just north of there is a house set on a very tall foundation and if you'll look closely, you'll see that the foundation is in sections. Actually, the house is built on top of the footings of those three oil tanks I mentioned! About a mile north of here is the north end of Yaquina City, where the rest of the town used to be. The railroad once had a large wharf/warehouse complex here, and the town buildings were built on piles on the inside of the railroad tracks. The railroad ended here. All the old town buildings are gone - the last remaining original building, the Yaquina Hotel, burned down in the early 1960s. The railroad west of Toledo didn't get much use after World War I, and the tracks were taken up in 1937, and by then the town buildings were abandoned and pretty badly deteriorated. The Oregon Cemetery Survey doesn't list any cemeteries associated with Yaquina City, Oysterville, Oneatta, or Wynant, there were were small plots near Chitwood and Elk City.

It's been twenty years since I last explored the region, so I can't speak to any changes more recently than that. Hope this helps!
    Scott Gavin, Klamath Falls, Oregon

Just found this thread. I remember going to oysterville alot of years ago. We even bought oysters there that tasted great. Well some where around there
    Last edited by teds280z; 01-24-2014 at 12:37 PM.
    I'm not a Republican
    I'm not a Democrat
    I'm an American

and I want my Country back

Thread Information