Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have questions about Yaquina City, Oysterville (Oregon)

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Lightbulb I have questions about Yaquina City, Oysterville (Oregon)

I've been researching Elk City, and I've stumbled upon information reguarding a possible new (to the site) ghosttown called Oysterville.

Oysterville is on the maps.google.com, here at http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...n&ie=UTF8&z=13

but, it's location is said to be due south across the bay from Yaquina City.

Now, the wiki article for Toledo here at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo%2C_OR
    does not mention Toledo every being called "Yaquina City," so I don't think the location of Oysterville is correct on the google map.

Does anybody know where Yaquina City is at, or if it was re-named?

Oysterville and Yaquina city would be on maps of Oregon in the 1860's, most likely after 1866 when the Coast Reservation was laregely dissolved to allow for white settlement of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarevna View Post

I've been researching Elk City, and I've stumbled upon information reguarding a possible new (to the site) ghosttown called Oysterville.

Oysterville is on the maps.google.com, here at http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...n&ie=UTF8&z=13

Now, the wiki article for Toledo here at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo%2C_OR
    does not mention Toledo every being called "Yaquina City," so I don't think the location of Oysterville is correct on the google map.

Oysterville and Yaquina city would be on maps of Oregon in the 1860's, most likely after 1866 when the Coast Reservation was laregely dissolved to allow for white settlement of the area.
    I know of another error on the maps, so I would bet the map is wrong.

Default ?

did you ever get any more information on this? sounds familiar.... interesting, and worth looking into more!

I got a little bit of information from my friend's mother who grew up near another ghost town nearby, called Hoskins. That's in the county to the east, Benton County. (So I found out a little bit about Hoskins too.)

But back to Oysterville.
    She said it's pronounced "Yeah-KWIN-nuh." You say "yeah" just like "yeah mom, yeah dad," but say it fast. Then emphasize the "KWIN" part.

She also said that oysterville doesn't have any original buildings left. She wasn't aware that once it was it's own town. There's a "mini region" called oysterville but it's like a suburb today. (I'll have to sit down with her and show her a map to see if the yahoo/google maps are correct on the location.) It could be that original dock pilings are still in the water, i'll be sure to look for them If I can get down there anytime soon. Sometimes that's all that's left of coastal towns.

She does not remember Hoskins having a store, so we are lucky to have the ben maxwell photos. Apparantly there's a museum opening up. And a caretaker living on the site. I'm not sure if the museum is about farming or the fort or both.

Also, she remember there being many buildings at Chitwood. I informed her that the general store was gone, and she was sad to hear that. I suppose we should just be thankfull that the bridge is still there!

Default Hoskins!

I could talk to you all day long about Hoskins! and have an amazing picture I took there, but would have to scan it... anyway, there is a good book about Camp Adair that talks about Hoskins and Fort Hoskins. It's a fun visit. You know, I drive from here (coos bay/north bend) to portland at least every other weekend, but usually cut over to I-5 at Florence.... You've inspired me, however, to make it up to the Newport area and check this out - I'll let you know when I do this and what I find!

Default Here are all the answer's you're loooking for !

Yaquina City was 3 miles west of Toledo and not a single trace is left. Lucky for you I have dozens of pictures
    of the old City Here > http://www.brian894x4.com/YaquinaRailroad.html

Scroll all the way to the bottom of that website to see Yaquina City and read the History.

Wow! Thanks, you are my hero!

Cool web page, Brian.

I'm glad you took the time to research this and publish your findings. I'm one of those who'll look at some relic (like a decayed bridge or trestle) and wonder, "I wonder what that was used for." You've answered one of my questions.

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Also, she remember there being many buildings at Chitwood. I informed her that the general store was gone, and she was sad to hear that. I suppose we should just be thankfull that the bridge is still there!
    See my original post on Chitwood for pictures of the old general store and the bridge next to it.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

I'm doing some research on Yaquina Bay for a corporate client. Oysterville was the first permanent white settlement on Yaquina Bay. Founded about 1863 by the San Francisco based oyster companies that were harvesting Yaquina Bay oysters. I believe the location you found on Google maps is in the right general area. I've attached a map I found in a book at the Lincoln County Historical Society. It also puts Oysterville in the same general location. Also, the Google map location is very close (but across the river) from the Oregon Oyster Farms. Various companies have farmed these oyster beds for more than a century. Would make sense to me that Oysterville would be nearby. Oysterville was destroyed by fire in the 1880s. The map is from right after the civil war, so it doesn't show Yaquina City which was built around 1880.

Thread Information