Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghosts of Ghosttowns

Default Ghosts of Ghosttowns

I know that sometimes we get the occasional person asking for directions to some haunted place, haunted hill, etc, but it got me thinking.

Has anyone here been to a ghosttown (the type of places discribed on this site, not spooky ones) and seen something or heard something that could of been paranormal?

But, before you answer, please leave out names of places because I would hate for stupid people seeking a thrill to go to these places and ruin them.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette View Post
    I know that sometimes we get the occasional person asking for directions to some haunted place, haunted hill, etc, but it got me thinking.

Has anyone here been to a ghosttown (the type of places discribed on this site, not spooky ones) and seen something or heard something that could of been paranormal?

But, before you answer, please leave out names of places because I would hate for stupid people seeking a thrill to go to these places and ruin them.
    I'm glad you asked. Another hobby of mine is the paranormal and things that go bump in the night.

I used to have a girlfriend that could sense things. Fortunately, nothing more than that-she scared me enough with just that.

Once when we were visiting a ghost town cemetary, she said to me "You know, Brian, were not alone here." To make a long story short, the entity followed us back to the truck. I didn't know what else to do, so I hauled a s s out of there, not daring to say a word. After 5 minutes at supersonic speed, she looked at me and stated "You can slow down now, he didn't come with us."

Since then, I have been to that cemetary alone (pictures are posted here if you are interested) and wondered how many invisible "friends" I made on my second trip.

She was also with me on one trip to Tombstone (its already a tourist trap so no harm done) and she picked up a lot of activity in the Bird Cage theatre.

Once I was in the general vicinity of Harshaw, and took a break to eat lunch and plink at the sagebrush. Suddenly, I got this overwhelming urge to look to the right. There, no more than 50 yards away, was a single grave, with a rusty fence around it, surrounded by small stones. The funny thing was, I was looking for a certain graveyard when I parked for a lunch break. Well, to make things a bit creepier, once I was at that grave, I was positioned somehow perfectly to see another lone grave in the distance. Guess what? While checking out that grave, my body was positioned perfectly to see another through the bushes. All in all, I found about 7 separate graves that day. Funny thing was, when I parked, I didn't see anything. Another thing that I noticed that finally made me want to leave- It was so quiet you could here a pin drop. Like something out of the twilight zone. No wind, no cows or airplanes, javelinas. Nothing. I took that as my cue to leave.

I usually try to allow a few minutes of silence when visiting a ghost town, my eyes closed, my mind open to the paranormal.

Do you have any interesting stories you would like to share?

Brian
    "*** catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt"

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I get spooked sometimes in old buildings and places.

It's been found that low frequency sound waves, below which people can hear, can cause terror in humans. Often times these sounds are from seizmic activity in the area, or from the wind rushing down the cavities a particularly odd-shaped building like a lighthouse. Or in a mine.

Negative ions also cause some people to experience fear and dread. If you've ever had one of those air cleaners in your house that had an "ionize" function, you might have spooked yourself out with it unknowningly. Negative ions (sometimes from storms too) can cause anything from worry to nightmares to serious dread.

One summer I was convinced I was seeing ghosts in the reflections of mirrors and windows in my house. Corner of the eye stuff. When my air-cleaner broke and was tossed out, everything "paranormal" stopped.

I learned about ions years later and it all made sense. I think there's a sceintific explanation for almost everything.

Except when your hair brush disappears off your bed where you just put it, you leave the room for 3 seconds and return to find it there agian...that one...I can't explain!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarevna View Post
    ...................Negative ions also cause some people to experience fear and dread. If you've ever had one of those air cleaners in your house that had an "ionize" function, you might have spooked yourself out with it unknowningly. Negative ions (sometimes from storms too) can cause anything from worry to nightmares to serious dread. ............
    Really? I thought 'negative ions' were supposed to be good for you, that they absorbed all the 'positive' (pollutants) that come in your house, etc. But I could be wrong. I have to read up on it again.

I do have a aircleaner with an 'ion' function. Hmm...But I have not had anything abnormal in my house and I have been running that cleaner often because of allergy season.

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    I'm glad you asked. Another hobby of mine is the paranormal and things that go bump in the night....

You too? Great! Now I won't be the only strange one here

I used to be really into ghosthunting. My father would take me to old places, like abadonded dairies, farms, etc. By brothers would go to, but they would play hide and seek and stuff. My father and I would actually discuss about the places, the areas, why this and that. I guess you can say he was the one who taught me to appreciate our history.

I remember he took us to an abadonded hotel (gosh, that sounds bad!) my dad told us that this hotel (since demolished) used to be a place where the gansters used to hang out and they had a speak easy. My brothers and their friends would run around and goof off, you look around and see where people wrote graffitti, there was trash everywhere. I looked and I could imagine the furniture, the clothes people wore, how they talked, what they did and I swear I could feel them around me. But, I am an emotional person. Whether I picked up on something or just that 'into it' I don't know.

So, as far as historical places, it is hard for me to distiguish between my imagination and what could be paranormal.

Anyway, I used to set up cameras, have recorders, bring out my camera and start 'hunting'. I don't do it anymore.

As for just plain ol' scary experiences, inside a ghosttown or not...sure! I used to work at a Walmart for Christmas. And if that was not scary enough, I worked there overnight stocking up boxes of Christmas tree lights and other holiday crap. There is a section in the garden department (where all the holiday stuff was kept) where they had BBQ stuff and some patio things. We grill year round out here!

There was no one else in the garden department (if you are not familiar with how Walmart is set up, their garden department is separated from the rest of the store by a set of automatic doors. The garden department itself consists of three walls, with the missing wall leading to an outdoor plant area where we had the Christmas trees. And yes, I ended up getting pnuemonia and quitting before Christmas) OK...so no one there, we were not open 24 hours yet, so no customers, it was around 3 am because they called out for break. Right before I passed the section with the BBQ stuff, a BBQ fork, one of those huge grilling forks that look like a tiny pitchfork? One flew out at me! It was hanging on a rod. If the packaging broke, it would of falled straight down, not OUT AND BACKWARDS to me! I was more offended than scared.

I asked other workers about the place being creepy (I never told them what happened) and they had stories where they would find toys in the bathroom in the middle of the night, people running in the store, but not a worker, etc.

Ok...my hands are cramping. Anyone else have any stories?
    Last edited by Jeanette; 04-07-2008 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

So, as far as historical places, it is hard for me to distiguish between my imagination and what could be paranormal.

Yeah, the imagination is a funny thing. I have to keep asking myself "Is it creepy because something is going on here or because my thoughts are making it creepy?"

Right before I passed the section with the BBQ stuff, a BBQ fork, one of those huge grilling forks that look like a tiny pitchfork? One flew out at me!

You have to wonder about things like that. It wasn't a soft pair of gardening gloves that came at you, but possibly the deadliest weapon in your department!

One place that always gives me a weird feeling is Sunnyside, AZ.
    Here's my post and a few pictures from 2006:

http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthr...ight=sunnyside

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I don't have any creepy encounters of my own but one of the best accounts of creepiness I've read was written by Frank (High Desert Drifter) about his visit to Feridell Ranch in California. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
    Check it out, High Desert Drifters

By the way, where's Frank? Slurpee stocks are down, he'd better show up soon.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

No ghosts for me. Lochiel does give me the feeling that I am being watched though, but since it is a smuggling route, it may just be more than a feeling!

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette View Post
    Really? I thought 'negative ions' were supposed to be good for you, that they absorbed all the 'positive' (pollutants) that come in your house, etc. But I could be wrong. I have to read up on it again.

I do have a aircleaner with an 'ion' function. Hmm...But I have not had anything abnormal in my house and I have been running that cleaner often because of allergy season.
    Usually the health benefits are touted by the people selling the machines. The effect that postive/negative ions have on people isn't fully understood yet, but usually more "sensitive" people are effected by them, usually the same kind of people that feel an uneasy feeling when electrical storms approach.

I was watching a show a few years ago about a young girl that was seeing ghosts on her family's property, and a psychologist came to the house to her house and was concerned about the air cleaner as he had seen some of his patients react badly to them. He explained a little about ion sensitivity, but it was a few years ago and I don't remember details. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the tv show.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarevna View Post
    Usually the health benefits are touted by the people selling the machines. The effect that postive/negative ions have on people isn't fully understood yet, but usually more "sensitive" people are effected by them, usually the same kind of people that feel an uneasy feeling when electrical storms approach.

I was watching a show a few years ago about a young girl that was seeing ghosts on her family's property, and a psychologist came to the house to her house and was concerned about the air cleaner as he had seen some of his patients react badly to them. He explained a little about ion sensitivity, but it was a few years ago and I don't remember details. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the tv show.
    On a similar note, I've been reading a lot about EMFs (electro-magnetic frequencies) causing everything from headaches to feeling of "being watched". EMFs are being blamed for a lot of unexplained paranormal events.
    A good explanation is found at the TAPS web site here:
    http://www.the-atlantic-paranormal-s...fadvanced.html

Thread Information