Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Ghost Town POLL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    tuutuutango Guest

Default Favorite Ghost Town POLL

I'm curious as to what the "Favorite Ghost Towns" are by users on this forum.

I've been to a dozen or so in my lifetime, my dad having been fond of exploring these when I was a youngster and taking me with him on his adventures.

I would think in order to make this an effective poll, anybody responding should have at least have visited 2 ghost towns.

I would also think the poll might even be broken down to STATES. Not everybody has the ability to travel extensively (especially now that gasoline is getting close to $5 a gallon) and thus they might be limited to exploring only in their state.

Any and all responses and comments are welcome... this is simply an VERY informal poll.

Criteria for the poll... (at this juncture)

#1. Your Favorite Ghost Town.
    #2. What makes your choice "your favorite."
    #3. Least "enjoyable" aspect of your favorite Ghost Town.

(I threw in the "least enjyable aspect" just to see what the typical issues might be)

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

#1. In Nevada, we have far more ghost "mines" than towns, and they are usually the most well preserved. As it is I have a few favorites that really make it hard to choose from. Belmont Mine, The Comet Mine and Sprucemont are all right there for me. But I haven't been everywhere yet

#2. Sprucemont had a life span of almost 100 years. You can find everything from sod roof log cabins too modern mining housing. The Comet has intact early 1900's window panes in the houses and if you look hard enough, newspapers from the 20's and 30's. Belmont has three parts. The mine, tram system and mill. All are well intact and you could literally spend a week exploring the area.

#3. Sprucemont is 8 hours away from me. The mine of Belmont is on the side of a canyon slope and can be treacherous. Many folks get out and walk in to it. The mill is accessible almost by car. The Comet is the closest, yet it is still half a day away to it.

Most of my favorites are pretty rough to access. Then again, they are usually the best kept and are likely a result of being so desolate. It's nice seeing an area where Mother Nature is the biggest threat.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by tuutuutango View Post
    I'm curious as to what the "Favorite Ghost Towns" are by users on this forum.

I've been to a dozen or so in my lifetime, my dad having been fond of exploring these when I was a youngster and taking me with him on his adventures.

I would think in order to make this an effective poll, anybody responding should have at least have visited 2 ghost towns.

I would also think the poll might even be broken down to STATES. Not everybody has the ability to travel extensively (especially now that gasoline is getting close to $5 a gallon) and thus they might be limited to exploring only in their state.

Any and all responses and comments are welcome... this is simply an VERY informal poll.

Criteria for the poll... (at this juncture)

(I threw in the "least enjyable aspect" just to see what the typical issues might be)
    1- I haven't yet been to my favorite ghost town. Several are on my "to do"list for the day I have the time/money/permission to proceed.

My favorite of the ones I've been to is Sunnyside, AZ.

2-It remains my favorite for several reasons.
    I've never encountered anyone else (living) while I've been there. That aspect alone really helps retain the feeling of a "ghost town".

Many of the original buidings are still standing. There is a lot to explore and photograph.

There is the promise of more discoveries to come. I've still got a cemetary to find, and I have a strong feeling other treasures await me.

3-Its just easy enough to access that I fear one day I'll return to find satanic graffitti, trash, and everything of value stolen.....Or worse, fenced off.

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Beautiful downtown Charleston...

Its Charleston, AZ for me. Where the mills for some of the Tombstone mines were located, clanking away 24 hours a day. If Tombstone was the town "too tough to die" then Charleston was the town "too bad to live". It's where the cowboys hung out, (the losers in the OK corral shootout). Ike & Billy & Phin Clanton, Curley Bill & Johnny Ringo all held court in the saloons there. Where the Justice of the peace, (Jim Burnett) conducted legal, (sort of)court in the street at the end of a shotgun barrel & the fine was whatever you had of value, (& there was always a fine). It's a little hard to find today as about 1/3 of the town has been lost to the San Pedro river as the banks collapse. It's in a pretty spot with the river there, giant cottonwoods abound & there are Indian pictographs adjacent to the town site.

It's my fave because it was so rough & tumble & when I'm there "I feel Capitol..." In a time & place where there was hardly any civilized place on the American frontier Charleston was one of the least civilized of the bunch.

Least favorite thing, there is so little left today. If you can find the cemetary you get a merrit badge.

V
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vulture; 05-02-2008 at 06:41 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I just might take you up on that. It better have a cluster of cylindropuntia leaves!
    1-I'll go for Old Glory, Arizona.
    2-There's just one ruin left, but the isolation, the scenery surrounding and the solitude leave you wondering just what kind of men called it home. It's a fantastic area with so little of a written history, it leaves you wondering just what ruins lie down the road and over the hills, long forgotten by the uncaring world.
    3-No real dislike of the area. Just afraid that idiots will find it and spray paint it like Alto. I don't pay BP much mind and the smugglers and illegals have always left me alone in the area.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I just might take you up on that. It better have a cluster of cylindropuntia leaves!
    1-I'll go for Old Glory, Arizona.
    2-There's just one ruin left, but the isolation, the scenery surrounding and the solitude leave you wondering just what kind of men called it home. It's a fantastic area with so little of a written history, it leaves you wondering just what ruins lie down the road and over the hills, long forgotten by the uncaring world.
    3-No real dislike of the area. Just afraid that idiots will find it and spray paint it like Alto. I don't pay BP much mind and the smugglers and illegals have always left me alone in the area.
    Joel,
    Old Glory is on my short list of return trips I have to make.

I've been suffering though well needed exersize every day in anticipatition of a hike near there to uncover "lost" areas yet undiscovered. I haven't forgotten about your offer, I just want to be able to hike more than 5 minutes without having to stop, reach for the sky with my right hand, and scream "Its the big one lord!"

That and I need to get a job.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Haha! That's the right attitude! Say, any luck at work?
    Last edited by Joel; 05-02-2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Adding more
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Haha! That's the right attitude! Say, any luck at work?
    Nah. The problem is I have no job skills, a bum arm and a bad back, and I fart quite frequently. (on purpose)

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by tuutuutango View Post

(I threw in the "least enjoyable aspect" just to see what the typical issues might be)
    My favorite is a mining camp. The Blue Bird Mine, Greenback District in Gila County, AZ.
    It's a favorite because it was so hard to locate and reach. We don't use GPS and the road was almost nonexistent when we first began looking for it. It took several attempts to find it, but the search was well worth the effort. There were quite a few remains, the mines themselves were in fairly good condition, allowing us to explore them in relative safety. There was equipment left, both inside and out. A few buildings, old newspapers (1913) and some old tools added to the excitement of finally reaching a place we'd spent so much time looking for.
    The least enjoyable certainly has to be the fact that the Forest Service saw fit to "reclaim" the site. The tunnels are now blocked, most buildings and remnants have been bulldozed so the site now has a sterile feeling, leaving little for future visitors to see.
    We were the last people to enter the tunnels, we placed a time capsule we'd assembled deep inside one of the shafts. The work crews waited for us to come out of the mine and then they blocked the tunnel's entrance. We felt fortunate to have had the opportunity to find and photograph The Blue Bird Mine before much of its history was lost forever.

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    My favorite is a mining camp.....We were the last people to enter the tunnels, we placed a time capsule we'd assembled deep inside one of the shafts. The work crews waited for us to come out of the mine and then they blocked the tunnel's entrance. We felt fortunate to have had the opportunity to find and photograph The Blue Bird Mine before much of its history was lost forever.
    I envy you that experience, Laura but at the same time....I'm glad it was you!
    I'm also glad that work crew recognised your right, by passion, to be there. I hope you are "found" in 100 years!

I don't have a "favorite" ghost town yet, being as how ah ain't bin to none..... but we will remedy that sooner rather than later. Some of the names mentioned by the other posters sure sound good.
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

Thread Information