Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Ghost Town POLL

Yea Laura it is a shame our gov't and mining companies seem fit to destroy our heritage. D*** them and I am a Gov't employee.

I think my favorite is Coolidge, Montana. It is a beautiful site tucked into the mountains and not too disturbed by modern man. Unfortunately, I live too far away to visit as much as I would like.......Speedy

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Well I finally got around to hitting Bodie, CA today. 200 pictures and I still didn't see it all

So I guess it could now rank as my favorite ghost "town"
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    My favorite is a mining camp.....We were the last people to enter the tunnels, we placed a time capsule we'd assembled deep inside one of the shafts. The work crews waited for us to come out of the mine and then they blocked the tunnel's entrance. We felt fortunate to have had the opportunity to find and photograph The Blue Bird Mine before much of its history was lost forever.
    I envy you that experience, Laura but at the same time....I'm glad it was you!
    I'm also glad that work crew recognised your right, by passion, to be there. I hope you are "found" in 100 years!

I don't have a "favorite" ghost town yet, being as how ah ain't bin to none..... but we will remedy that sooner rather than later. Some of the names mentioned by the other posters sure sound good.
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelrash View Post
    I'm also glad that work crew recognised your right, by passion, to be there.
    LOL! It's not like they had a choice. I supposed they could have closed the mine with us in it,fortunately,they opted to wait until we came out.

Default Reviving old post

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    Well I finally got around to hitting Bodie, CA today. 200 pictures and I still didn't see it all

So I guess it could now rank as my favorite ghost "town"
    Gary, please don't take this wrong, but I had a different experience. When my buddy Thedmo and I rolled into Bodie, there were 200 people ahead of us. We almost couldn't find a parking place or spot to drink where the family types wouldn't frown at us. Then, leaving town, I put the pedal to the metal. Was it my fault all those folks creeping up that fifty mph dirt road had to dive for the shoulder? I suppose it was. In California, my favorite GT is Cerro Gordo. Whole town just still sitting there. It is privately owned. Maybe that's why. The story goes, that when the mines were working at their peak, the silver ingots piled up faster than they could be shipped out. Miners were stacking them and errecting canvass roofs over the top for housing. The mine used a cable to lower the silver to the valley floor 5,000 feet below, where it was shipped across the Owen's Lake by steam boat. Then Mulholland drained the lake and sent the water to LA. It is still dry. NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

My favorite for a completely abandoned site is Old Hatchita, New Mexico as it is the most extensive and spread out of such that I have seen, or so it was when I last visited the site in 1989.

Silver City, Idaho is my favorite restored ghost town. In an isolated location with a very authentic feel to it.

For surrounding scenery I have to pick Lester, Washington.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
    For surrounding scenery I have to pick Lester, Washington.
    Thanks for the tip, mate. I'll toodle off and Google it later....spend a few more pleasant hours armchair travelling.

I know I've said it before....but..... what a country you people live in.
    Please, love it.
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

Wink Bodie

Gary and all.
    I've been to Bodie at least 3x's haven't seen the Mill yet. Very interesting GT if you can get by the tourist that don't know what they are looking at. I myself still prefer going down the overgrown dirt wagon trail thinking I am lost to the ghost then come over a rise and there it is. 2 run down houses and a mill.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Johnson View Post
    Gary, please don't take this wrong, but I had a different experience.
    I was there when they opened the gate and followed the ranger back in. It was 45 degrees according to the rental cars' outside temp guage, not including the 20+ MPH wind chill.

Tourists were not of issue.

I did pass a lot of traffic coming in as I left, but I didn't try running any off the road myself.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Thread Information