Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Ghost Town POLL

Like I said tourist. Wait until summer really gets going. If you go out the back way towards Aurora thats a real beautiful drive. I need to get up there again this summer. Have you been to the Aurora Cemetary? Really interesting. Watch that canyon this early in the summer. flash floods.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    Have you been to the Aurora Cemetary? Really interesting. Watch that canyon this early in the summer. flash floods.
    No, my exploration has been limited to mostly the eastern side. I want to make some trips to Sylvania and a few others along the western edge, hopefully this fall. After our last trip, I was able to find out where there was and wasn't gas for future exploration.

My dad has wanted to go to Lone Pine to see the movie canyons and such, so I was hoping to hit Bodie around that time again as well.

If it wasn't for doing some of our historical marker hunting, I wouldn't have yet seen Bodie. We were staying the night in Bridgeport, Ca. and I was looking through the tourists brochures and saw how close we were to it. Side trip!
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Default my favorites

in Wyoming, my favorite is one called MINERS DELIGHT, or HAMILTON CITY. Its great.

in Arizona, I think Ruby is my favorite, with Vulture running a close second.

Default Sprucemont.NV

Gary when you said Sprucemont, NV is it also Spruce Mountain in Southern Elko county,as on our site?

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Yeah, the actual site I refer to is Sprucemont, which just one of many on that mountain. IIRC it was like the hub for the others as they were mostly just mines. I think the poster of that info on here was grouping them all.

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    Gary when you said Sprucemont, NV is it also Spruce Mountain in Southern Elko county,as on our site?
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

Got around to posting my Bodie pics.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    Got around to posting my Bodie pics.

The album was very well done Gary, thanks for posting.

Three features I liked the most on this particular album were (1) the overviews followed by the buildings, street by street, (2) many of the interiors of shops, residences, etc., showing dishes and everyday things, left where they were when the people up and left. I don't recall having such access to interiors when we went thru; and (3) seeing the different perspectives you used to photo the town. A few were taken from about the same place as mine, but most showed an entirely unique view. Again, very well done (IMO).
    Last edited by bad bob; 07-22-2008 at 08:04 AM.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

WOW! That's an incredible place there! Nicely preserved and you took great shots!
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thumbs up

Nice pic Gary. Bodie is sure on my "to do" list.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    (2) many of the interiors of shops, residences, etc., showing dishes and everyday things, left where they were when the people up and left. I don't recall having such access to interiors when we went thru;
    That day I only saw two places that were open, the church and a house nearby. The rest were locked up tight. Pictures were hard to take as my camera kept focusing on the dirt streaks on the insides of the windows and the sun wasn't in my favor Sucks too as I couldn't get too many pics of the mortician's house to come out. That one alone was an interestingly macabre experience.

BTW, not sure of the collection plate in the church was intentionally set there, but I thought it was cool people were adding to it; as I chose to.

Thread Information