Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surfing The San Pedro River

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Surfing The San Pedro River

Up north of Fairbank, along the San Pedro is where I spent my Sunday.

It was a nice 91 degrees. A great day to be out and about.
    The San Pedro River is a year round river that runs south to north. Until the 1870's, this was prime farm land for the Indians that lived along the banks. Then silver was discovered in Tombstone a few miles away and the mills came to crush the ore. In those pre-electric days, hydro power was used. This is the first ruin that I came across: The Grand Central Mill.

"Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

The size of the ruin is mind boggling. This ruin use to employ 35 men alone.

Last edited by Joel; 05-05-2008 at 05:58 AM. Reason: HTML

H.L. Mencken

It's seem better days to be sure, but it's still there sitting in the hillside.
    Walking up the trail by Willow Wash, I came across a ruin that wasn't on any of my maps. If anyone has a clue, please chime in. This is on the west bank of the San Pedro .

H.L. Mencken

It lies between the Grand Central Mill and the Presidio. I walked up and old railroad grade to the Presidio.

H.L. Mencken

The Presidio Santa Cruz de Terrenate is listed on my topo map as the Quiburi Mission. I was lucky enough to walk into the place during an archaeological dig. One volunteer talked to me for ten minutes and gave me a decent history of the Presidio. They were covering walls that had been recently discovered to protect them for erosion and the elements. The Presidio was founded in 1775 by the Spanish. They only stayed a few years due to constant Apache attack.

H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken

Seems that the Apaches either had a decent intelligence system of just like the uniforms of the Captains. There was a constant turn over in that slot.
    I was told that this was their signal hill. They would post men with large flags on the distant hill to warn them of Apache attack. The only problem with the system was that by the time the soldiers had waved the flags enough to alert the Presidio, they couldn't get back before the Apaches over took them and the soldiers didn't have enough time to get to the hill top. A little bit of hazardous duty. The Spanish did give up the fort after a few years and it's wondered just how much that they really finished.
    I wandered up the San Pedro again to Contention City. If you saw the movie 3:10 To Yuma, yes, there really is a Contention City in Arizona. It doesn't have much left to it these days.

This was the only clue I had that I was still on the right trail. The posted signs end at Willow Wash.

H.L. Mencken

Not much left of the town. If you want to find a full sized ghost town, you ought to go to Ruby. If you want history, then it's still here just barely.

H.L. Mencken

I did find the Contention City Mill. It's in slightly better shape than the City. This ruin also employed 35 men to operate it. There was money to be made from Tombstone until the strike and floods.

H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken

Thread Information