Thread: Lucky S Mine Ghost Town -- Plumas County, CA

Question Lucky S Mine Ghost Town -- Plumas County, CA

I had read on here that a fire may have gone through the area. Can anyone confirm this? My best friend and I are going to be in Northern California and would really like to hit an "unexploited" ghost town and this one sounded perfect.

Also, if it is still a decent exploration, can anyone help with EXACT directions? I used GPS and mapquest literally says turn left, turn right without road names!

Thanks in advance.

A fire did go thru there. A local rumor says the buildings were untouched.

The Lucky S is on my list for this summer. As of Sunday there are still 3-4 foot snow drifts on the north side of most hills above 4000' around here. I was turned back during an attempt to get to the Inskip Cemetary Sunday. This is/was in a well equipped, highly modified 4X4.

Another month and it should be clear.... RON

Quote Originally Posted by onederwomyn View Post
    I had read on here that a fire may have gone through the area. Can anyone confirm this? My best friend and I are going to be in Northern California and would really like to hit an "unexploited" ghost town and this one sounded perfect.

Also, if it is still a decent exploration, can anyone help with EXACT directions? I used GPS and mapquest literally says turn left, turn right without road names!

Thanks in advance.
    Hi you guys !
    Welcome to the board.
    You can get exact directions from the "Ghost Towns of the United States and Canada"There's a link at the very bottom.
    When you clcik on it,then go to the left,where you'll see a pic of the U.S.
    Then click again on California.
    When there,tou'll click again on Northern California.
    Then you'll see the counties.
    Click again on "Lucky S"From there,has the directions.
    We would like to get out more often.Would break the boredom of this Central Valley.
    My best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70Ranger View Post
    Hi you guys !
    Welcome to the board.
    You can get exact directions from the "Ghost Towns of the United States and Canada"There's a link at the very bottom.
    When you clcik on it,then go to the left,where you'll see a pic of the U.S.
    Then click again on California.
    When there,tou'll click again on Northern California.
    Then you'll see the counties.
    Click again on "Lucky S"From there,has the directions.
    We would like to get out more often.Would break the boredom of this Central Valley.
    My best to you.
    Yeah, I saw the directions out there and tried to map it...but good lord there are a ton of dirt roads. I used satellite maps and GPS and it looks like the GPS is off just a hair. I saw what I "think" may be it after getting a different GPS of the actual mine on a different site. I guess we know "approximately" where. I guess I was wanting to know if the road runs right through it or if we have to hike. Based on the pictures, it looks like a road does go through part of it.

Thanks!

You are welcome.
    Forgot to say,also get a forestry map.Go to the office of the Plumas National Forest...
    Or whatever the forest's name.
    These will have the back trails.
    Enjoy your trip.

I drove up there and was turned back because of the fire. Then tried again and ended up at Antelope Lake. The people at the store are really nice and have a map that shows exactly where it is. Since it was about 5:00 pm and we were camping at another lake we wanted to get out to fish. I haven't been able to get there since but still plan to. The little town before the lake is where you turn. Stop and ask there, save the gas going to antelope lake. Let us know if you make it

Im heading up there to Lucky S next week .... several structures were saved during Moonlight Fire. No info at Plumas County office but none the less.. I will be there sometime next week and have photos to share soon.

If anyone knows of any other abandoned minning/ghost towns in Nor Cal please let me know .. thanks!

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Paranormal Pagan View Post
    Im heading up there to Lucky S next week .... several structures were saved during Moonlight Fire. No info at Plumas County office but none the less.. I will be there sometime next week and have photos to share soon.

If anyone knows of any other abandoned minning/ghost towns in Nor Cal please let me know .. thanks!
    +

I think you found the oldest thread about Lucky S to reply to. We discussed it on many threads, and I have a slideshow link on one of them from my visit.

Prattville was flooded by the construction of the Almanor Dam. The cemetery was moved to higher ground. You can see really old wooden tombstones and the like at the moved cemeteary at Plumas Pines, west shore of the lake.

South of Canyon Dam is the town of Seneca which was completely abandoned (barring 2-3 cabin owners) but has come to life as a camp for mining once again. People in RVs and tents who pan for gold hang out at the "Gin Mill" which is a time-capsule bar down there. As far as I know it doesn't have electricity but they keep beer cold in coolers and the ice box. The bar is open on weekends. Great fly-fishing spot too on the creek. The sad thing about Seneca is that someone destroyed the cemetery long ago. The old cemetery no longer exists.

Caribou is south of Seneca but I hear the buildings were torn down by the forest service. ><

North of Lucky S is the Engel Mine, which I hear is impressive. I never reached it though.

fire missed the town the burn area is now a solid mass of flowers 7-12-2010

Thread Information