Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ghost Towning basics question

Default Ghost Towning basics question

I've been ghost towning to Arizona and Nevada from Connecticut for the last 3 years but that translates to about 2 weeks time on the ground. Each time I go I get better prepared to visit these out of the way places but this last trip made me confront the issue I can't control-I don't know anyone out west so I am gt'ing alone. This last time I got a flat tire in the desert going to Helvetia mine in AZ. I fixed it and got back ok but it raised a few questions I'd like to ask:
    1. Can I post here for other gt'ers to meet me at 'x' location on 'y' day to go to a gt ?

2. If I have to go alone what advice/standard safety rules have YOU WHO LIVE IN THE WEST/GHOST TOWN learned ? I know the usual - gallon of water per day/cell phone/tell someone whom to call if I don't call them back by 'x' time... but what about, best car rental agency to deal with[I had problems with Payless]/best satellite phone to rent/if I can't bring a weapon from CT what's the next best weapon, machete?/do you check with police before going to an area YOU aren't familiar with ? ETC.

Thanks all for your comments.

D

Default Don't Go it alone if too remote.

Best advice to give is: don't go out alone to very remote ghost towns. I have been lucky but had some close calls - like nearly getting lost a couple of times and encounters with unfriendly desert rats, one of whom pointed a shotgun in my direction. With the price of gold at nearly $900 an ounce imagine this problem will be worse in the West now, where active gold mines or small prospects are being worked.

So if alone maybe try the more populated places altho they are usually not as interesting as remote ones.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

1. You can or private message others if you feel that's safer and saner.

2. I think a lot depends on where you go. If you fly into Tucson or Phoenix for example, your options are greater. If you fly into Tombstone, then you just limited your rental options. (You had mentioned Helvetia, so I'll stick to Southern Arizona since I know it a bit.)
    Weapons are up to you. When I go out, I have a no kill policy regarding animals. I know someone will say what about this or what about that, but it's up to you. Wildlife encounters are typically harmless out here, but you might want to search on line newspapers for the areas concerned too. There are bears that have been killed in the Sierra Vista area the last few years. Thanks to the illegals and their dropping of trash, it seems quite a few have equated the sell of humans with that of a free meal. That's not to say that you will encounter, but you might. Research is always the best tool.
    If you're going down to the border area, say Old Glory, then just be aware of what is down there. You don't see deputies from Santa Cruz or Pima County that often. If you're lucky, you might see BP or ICE in the area. Perhaps not, most of their checkpoints are much further north. It's a bit of the luck of the draw regarding how much law enforcement that you will see in an area. I've seen BP at Lochiel right at the fence and also driven from Naco to Phoenix without seeing any. Local hikers and 4WD forums might be a good source of information for areas too.
    I think it all depends on your temperment. There are illegals and drug smugglers out here, but I'm not going to stay at home on the couch just because they are out there somewhere. Most of us have encountered strange folks out in these areas but to be fair also have encountered some pretty decent folks too. I can honestly say that I feel safer in the California Gulch between Ruby and Old Glory down by the border, than I do at the Dillards at Park Mall in Tucson or walking any street in Phoenix.
    The desert in Southern Arizona has its share of woes, but I don't see any of them as being worse than any urban area.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I live in Southern Arizona and have been to Helvetia many times.

I'm trying not to be a loner anymore, but the fact is, I've gone out alone for 10 years. If I don't learn to change fate may catch up with me.

Let me know if you will be in this area (Tucson) on your next trip, and where you want to go.

If at all possible, I'll set time aside to go with you, and lend you the sidearm of your choice. I'll bring a cooler and you can by the water.

My last trip to Helvetia:

Last edited by brian10x; 05-15-2008 at 06:47 PM.

With the price of gas sky rocketing I think it would be a great idea for people to team up and go GT'ing.

I would like to get out and see more of them. I was able to visit many as a kid but my Step-Father passed before being able to impart his knowledge of alot of locations.

I'd enjoy tagging along if you come to the Tucson area. Let me know and I will try to make arrangements.

I lived in Danbury CT for a bit as a child as well. We spent time exploring the woods and discovered many old barns, houses, cars and other abandoned items. Do you do much exploring out in your home area?
    Budding Ghost Towner

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Maximum man purse...

The "bug out bag".

Always ready & always with me in the field. It isn't small & it isn't light, but it is small enough & light enough. This is a "Maxpedition versipack" jumbo, large main pocket & expandale. Has pocket for 1 ltr water bottle & concealed gun pocket.
    Contents;

1st aid kit with sterile wipes, ointment, bandages, etc. TP. Hand wipes.
    Flashlight w/ extra batteries. Matches. Camera. Binoculars. 4 granola bars.
    Water. Compass. Magnifying glass. Mirror. Pad & pencil. Swiss army knife (one hand trekker) Gerber multi tool. Titaniun .357 & more ammo.
    "Don't leave home without it".

<
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vulture; 05-16-2008 at 03:23 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Default California backcountry exploring

I am sorry to say that any place you go in California will be visited by someone else within a 24 hr time frame Friday through Sunday. The rest of the week make it a 36 hr window of solitude. People get friendlier the further from civilization they get. Foget the guns. We don't need them out here. Beer works better for pacifying the angry. Build road before you try using the gas pedal to get you past a bad spot and buy a good leatherman or pair of pliers to pull out the cholla spines. I have seen a buddy of mine drink himself into heat prostration because he was running out of salt in his system. A hand held CB might be cheaper than a sat phone. If you are driving a rental -- no donuts. Tire stores can be a long drive at 40 mph. I reload all my first aid kits with the real stuff you will probably need --- Pepto, Advil, cold remedy, and Benadryl. NJ

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Johnson View Post
    I am sorry to say that any place you go in California will be visited by someone else within a 24 hr time frame Friday through Sunday. The rest of the week make it a 36 hr window of solitude. People get friendlier the further from civilization they get. Foget the guns. We don't need them out here. Beer works better for pacifying the angry. Build road before you try using the gas pedal to get you past a bad spot and buy a good leatherman or pair of pliers to pull out the cholla spines. I have seen a buddy of mine drink himself into heat prostration because he was running out of salt in his system. A hand held CB might be cheaper than a sat phone. If you are driving a rental -- no donuts. Tire stores can be a long drive at 40 mph. I reload all my first aid kits with the real stuff you will probably need --- Pepto, Advil, cold remedy, and Benadryl. NJ
    Guess I'm doing everything wrong here in AZ. So no guns, on the mex border where hundereds of pounds of drugs & heavily armed gangsters pass everyday, & just need pepto for that bad taco lunch. Well that really lightens up my bug out bag. Now I only need a fanny pack, (a CA regular activity). Thanks for the expert advice pal. I'm sure yer' right, the AK totin' gangsta' will friendly right up if offered a PBR.

PS...you best stay in Califruity.
    <
    Last edited by Vulture; 05-18-2008 at 04:32 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

See, now that's your problem, if you guys would get a real desert instead of that gangster-friendly welcome mat, you would be able to stock your fanny packs with avecados like we do out here. Besides, in Death Valley, Our tourists are mostly Germans. But that is summertime. It is an odd tourist season and they all have visas. NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Johnson View Post
    See, now that's your problem, if you guys would get a real desert instead of that gangster-friendly welcome mat, you would be able to stock your fanny packs with avecados like we do out here. Besides, in Death Valley, Our tourists are mostly Germans. But that is summertime. It is an odd tourist season and they all have visas. NJ
    Well you friendly right up to new folks doncha'?

This is not only a real desert, it's a real beautiful desert.

I don't want an avecado up my bum like you do out there.
    <
    Last edited by Vulture; 05-18-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Thread Information