Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help need identifying a ghost town

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Question Help need identifying a ghost town

This photo comes from a friend of our fellow ghost towners and historians, Johnnie & Sheila. They were having problems uploading it to the forum. They'd like to know if anyone recognizes the town, and if so, where is it and is it still in existence? Any help would be appreciated.

Name:  MyDocumentName.jpg
Views: 2003
Size:  86.3 KB

Right off the top, I would say it's somewhere in Monument Valley.

Got a bigger version? I'd like to research it.
    Rockcrusher
    110,000 square miles of desert to play in . . . And the government owns 87% of it

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

"The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Rockcrusher View Post
    Right off the top, I would say it's somewhere in Monument Valley.
    Got a bigger version? I'd like to research it.
    This is the only photo sent to me. I don't have any details. I tried right clicking and editing the photo and was able to enlarge it, but the writing on the buildings wasn't clear enough to read at that resolution. I did a search for the Senate Saloon and came up with several, one in Kansas, one in Bodie and one in the Dakotas somewhere.
    Your guess is as good as mine at this point.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    This is the only photo sent to me. I don't have any details. I tried right clicking and editing the photo and was able to enlarge it, but the writing on the buildings wasn't clear enough to read at that resolution. I did a search for the Senate Saloon and came up with several, one in Kansas, one in Bodie and one in the Dakotas somewhere.
    Your guess is as good as mine at this point.

It's not in Kansas, and not Bodie, CA. The terrain looks like it could be North Dakota, or less likely western South Dakota, my birth state. I'd concentrate on western half of N Dak. first.

Just found 6 listings for Senate Saloon here: http://home.pacbell.net/tokenbob/saloon.html and one of them is in Little Missouri, DT.
    That's a reference to the Litttle Missouri river in what is now North Dakota. The front of the building with the large BALTIMORE on the side
    looks like Wilson's Bar or Mission Bar, but looks more like someone's name ('s).
    Last edited by bad bob; 05-16-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Bad Bob, Thanks for the information. I'm hoping someone will recognize the distinctive scenery in the background and come up with a definitive answer....we'll see.

Default Is it possible?

Laura,
    Is it possible that this town in the picture is still "alive and well" and not a ghost town? Do you know if this was a photo postcard or just a photo taken by someone? I was amazed at the number of "Senate Saloons" there were across the country.
    40FORDJIM GHOSTTOWNER SINCE 1965

Quote Originally Posted by 40FORDJIM View Post
    Laura,
    Is it possible that this town in the picture is still "alive and well" and not a ghost town? Do you know if this was a photo postcard or just a photo taken by someone? I was amazed at the number of "Senate Saloons" there were across the country.
    Jim, I'm sorry I don't have any details at all about the picture. I'm hoping that the folks who sent it to me will log into the forum and tell us some more. It is indeed possible that the town is "alive & well," but unfortunately, I don't know. I found quite a few "Senate Saloons" too when searching the web, but nothing seemed to match the photo.

Default Lovelock, NV

I know it isn't Lovelock, NV. Been there and through it too many times and don't recognize the landscape.

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Question Mystry Ghost Town

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    This photo comes from a friend of our fellow ghost towners and historians, Johnnie & Sheila. They were having problems uploading it to the forum. They'd like to know if anyone recognizes the town, and if so, where is it and is it still in existence? Any help would be appreciated.

Name:  MyDocumentName.jpg
Views: 2003
Size:  86.3 KB
    Sheila and I have also been searching through all our books and magazines trying to help Erich, locate the old west town that Laura, put up on the bulletin board most of the time you can get somewhat an idea by the territory that is in the background of the photograph but the rock formation behind the buildings are very hard to match up too any territory in any photos in any book we have been looking through.

But we do have a lot more books to scan through, but the little park like seting in the middle of town is quite unsual for rip- roaring mining town So maybe this might be a prosperous little farming commuity.

This project maybe more challegeing than we thought, but we are sure that someone will find out where this little town is located.

Your fellow ghosttowners
    Johnnie & Sheila

Thread Information