Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help need identifying a ghost town

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Johnnie & Sheila, I received an email from Erich. He said that he purchased the photo from the Old West collectible Show in Grass Valley, Calif. He said it's postcard sized, but the paper is too thin for it to have been a postcard. He said the fellow he purchased it from didn't have any information about it either.
    Maybe eventually, someone will recognize the photo and solve the mystery for us.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Wink

There are several clues in the picture which I find interesting. The small parklike setting in the left foreground, to me, is post 40s/50s. The open area in the foreground indicates there was a Y in the roadway. The shadows, of course, show the photo was taken in about mid to early afternoon. The flora is indicative of a location south of the Arctic Circle. The electric lines should be a clue to some expert in that area. The price of a beer certainly shows this is pre-1998. The background would convince me, and perhaps others, this area was once under water. The real clue is the absence of any indication of inhabitance. I expect this is due to two things. Johnnie and Flatiron were in the Bar at this time of day, and, secondly, they parked the Hillman out of sight, ashamed as they were of driving it. They'd let me off earlier at the West end of town, (not in camara vision). That, as you can see, is where the action was. Sorry, I don't remember the town's name. Or the State. Or the year. But I'll keep trying. OJ.....Oh, maybe that's Gravity Hill in the background....Maybe not.
    Last edited by old judge; 05-20-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Default Green River Wyo

I thought the Bluff in back of the buildings looked familiar . . . This is a picture of Green River Wyoming circa 1930's before the road through town was paved. The picture is taken from just in front of the Railroad depot. I hope this helps.
    GTBob

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

GT Bob, thanks so much! Hopefully this will solve Erich's mystery.

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Good one Bob. I was looking at it for railroad clues, and didn't see anything...

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Great going Bob.....

Here's some more for comparison:
    Attached Images Attached Images      

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by old judge View Post
    There are several clues in the picture which I find interesting. The small parklike setting in the left foreground, to me, is post 40s/50s. The open area in the foreground indicates there was a Y in the roadway. The shadows, of course, show the photo was taken in about mid to early afternoon. The flora is indicative of a location south of the Arctic Circle. The electric lines should be a clue to some expert in that area. The price of a beer certainly shows this is pre-1998. The background would convince me, and perhaps others, this area was once under water. The real clue is the absence of any indication of inhabitance. I expect this is due to two things. Johnnie and Flatiron were in the Bar at this time of day, and, secondly, they parked the Hillman out of sight, ashamed as they were of driving it. They'd let me off earlier at the West end of town, (not in camara vision). That, as you can see, is where the action was. Sorry, I don't remember the town's name. Or the State. Or the year. But I'll keep trying. OJ.....Oh, maybe that's Gravity Hill in the background....Maybe not.
    Didn't you used to have a TV series?

Thumbs up

Hey GT Bob & Bad Bob, you guys are GOOD!
    It looks like Green River is alive and well. About Green River

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Wow Bad Bob..I was impressed that GT Bob was on the money, but your pictures are more fun than a barrel of Brians. You really are BAD, Bad Bob. I'm headed to Washington in September. Now I plan to detour through that area. OJ

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Whoa. Hold up here boys and girls. I really DO appreciate the kudos, but all I did was put GT Bob's "discovery" into Google, to find the old snapshots. Took all of 2-3 minutes.

OJ don't forget the camera..be cool to see what Green River looks like today, wouldn't it?

Thread Information