Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mt Lemon Prison Camp

Say Brian 10x you could make a day of it and go up to the top and make your way down the back side there's a road and towards the top theres several old mines then as you get down theres old ranches. The 3 c's ranch use to be a dude ranch in the 30's there was an air strip and congress men and the like would go there. That place is cool I did some work on the old bunk house years ago they had these handles on the cabinets that were like little gate handles with a thumb latch and all. A stream from the well runs through the property and they have these little open air cabana's made of adobe, plaster a fire place that face the creek really cool. I think it's occupied but further down there are old abandoned homesteads with pomagranite, and apple trees still growing. and of course at the end of the trail there is the oracle museum never been but probably cool. Lots of the old stuff still standing in Oracle Goos luck!

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by fishing8046 View Post
    Say Brian 10x you could make a day of it and go up to the top and make your way down the back side there's a road and towards the top theres several old mines then as you get down theres old ranches. The 3 c's ranch use to be a dude ranch in the 30's there was an air strip and congress men and the like would go there. That place is cool I did some work on the old bunk house years ago they had these handles on the cabinets that were like little gate handles with a thumb latch and all. A stream from the well runs through the property and they have these little open air cabana's made of adobe, plaster a fire place that face the creek really cool. I think it's occupied but further down there are old abandoned homesteads with pomagranite, and apple trees still growing. and of course at the end of the trail there is the oracle museum never been but probably cool. Lots of the old stuff still standing in Oracle Goos luck!
    Happy to oblige. If you read my past posts, you will be aware I screw up a lot.

Give me as many details on the directions for the places you want me to check out.

I have alrteady found the prison camp should be at the 7.4 mile mark. Give me the best directions you can, and I will do my best!

After the prison camp just continue up the road to just before Summer Haven and then on the right hand side of the road there is a turn off you should see the Sheriff station it will turn to dirt pretty quikly it is the Mt Lemon service road. Once you find it your on your way down towards Oracle.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by fishing8046 View Post
    After the prison camp just continue up the road to just before Summer Haven and then on the right hand side of the road there is a turn off you should see the Sheriff station it will turn to dirt pretty quikly it is the Mt Lemon service road. Once you find it your on your way down towards Oracle.
    Thanks, I'll post everything I bump into!

If its the back road to Oracle, I made that trip a few years back and wasn't too excited about it. I will look around for other interesting things, though.

As promised, here are my pictures from the Mt. Lemmon prison camp.

Not much left to see, but I have about 32 pictures, and it might be better for download times if I post a link:

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...prison%20camp/

A funny thing happened. While hiking one of the trails, I became so exhausted I almost couldn't breathe, and for a moment felt I couldn't make it back. (I've been working out but still severely out of shape)
    My back was killing me and I couldn't even stand upright.
    I looked down (couldn't look up!) and what did I see? A walking stick, right there, the perfect size and shape. (Pic # 59) Now, I'm not an overly religious man, but it makes me wonder. With that walking stick, I made it back just fine, if out of breath.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Brian! Your loner ghost towning worries me. If you had croaked or become disabled out there, nobody would find you except the buzzards. (nag nag nag) Daisy & Sausage would become orphans. (nag nag nag some more)

Those are some good photos you took. There's more left out there than I thought there would be. PBS had a documentary on not too long ago, some of the Japanese Americans who were kept there and in other prison camps were complaining that a piece of their history was gone and should have been preserved or commemorated in some way.
    Can't say as I blame them. Although not a happy time for them, it still represents a huge portion of their history.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Brian! Your loner ghost towning worries me. If you had croaked or become disabled out there, nobody would find you except the buzzards. (nag nag nag) Daisy & Sausage would become orphans. (nag nag nag some more)

Those are some good photos you took. There's more left out there than I thought there would be. PBS had a documentary on not too long ago, some of the Japanese Americans who were kept there and in other prison camps were complaining that a piece of their history was gone and should have been preserved or commemorated in some way.
    Can't say as I blame them. Although not a happy time for them, it still represents a huge portion of their history.
    Thanks for the kind thoughts, Laura, but the only one who will go out with me is Joel, and he is a super-fit ex-Marine. I'd hate to slow anyone down.

Maybe if some other half-dead overweight old guy wants to go trailblazing with me, he/she can chime in. Must have cell phone and be willing to call 911 and feed 2 dogs.

Now that I just deleted my reply, I'll write again. I think I've posted it before, getting old can't remember, On one of the trails on Mt Lemmon, Leaves a park Ranger Station And goes around another peak and off the trail there is a saber jet from Korea War era. Hard to find.
    The trail is on the right, is a marked trail and the jet is in a gullyon the left if going up.

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    Now that I just deleted my reply, I'll write again. I think I've posted it before, getting old can't remember, On one of the trails on Mt Lemmon, Leaves a park Ranger Station And goes around another peak and off the trail there is a saber jet from Korea War era. Hard to find.
    The trail is on the right, is a marked trail and the jet is in a gullyon the left if going up.
    I would LOVE to photograph that jet! Please try and think of any more details that might help me find it. (Is there more than one ranger station? Name of the trail?)

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Did you notice for some reason, some of our recent posts have been mysteriously removed without explanation (so far)?

NJ, yours, mine and Campps have disappeared into a vortex.

Thread Information