Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Johnson Canyon Tunnel

Default Ash Fork Museum

If you are in the Ash Fork area Monday through Friday, visit the Ash Fork Museum located at 901 W. Old Route 66. It is a very cool place. Admission is free and the volunteer staff is very friendly.

Default Been there...would like to go back.

I am new to this forum. I love metal detecting and treasure hunting. I feel as though I am strongly attached to the past for some odd reason and feel a need to know more about it. I live in Northern Arizona and love this kind of stuff. I have seen the camp on top of the mesa where this tunnel is. Not much left. Some old broken bottles....glass dating back to 1870's 1880's. I have also hiked some of the canyon and found old blue, clear, and green insulators. The canyon is **** and i would like to hike the entire thing some day. Don't want to go alone. Bodies were found there at the mouth of the canyon. Although it was 20 years ago...there are still weird vibes.

There is an old trash pit that is extremely interesting near that area. Found some old china marbles, coins, stoppers, Pre-ww1 military buttons, RR locks and keys, etc. It is harder to go out these days and I do not want to go by myself. I know the Flagstaff/Prescott/Chino area very well. I know all about the Ghost towns...Del Rio, Jerome Junction, and "towns" that sprang up overnight along the railroad and disappeared just as fast.

The Johnson Canyon area is very interesting especially. There is a lot there.

Toyota_truck - Sounds really interesting. Is the old trash pit near the RR section-house at Welch? There is a large trash area in that vicinity. I located the camp above the tunnel on a trip up there a couple of weeks ago. I've read an account online that says that there was ~3000 workers living up there. I didn't really see enough evidence to convince me that there was that many people but I could have very easily not seen all the sites. I GPS'd the perimeter of the trash area I located and it was just over an acre in size. I didn't have too much time to spend looking around so, as I said, I may have missed other spots. I was surprised that there wasn't much evidence of structures. I realize that they were temporary and likely just a lot of wall tents but I really thought there would be pieces of timbers etc. I've found numerous logging RR camps from the mid 1890s and on where large timbers and lumber are not uncommon. I did see a LOT of square cut nails so it seems likely that lumber was used in some of the structures. I guess they could have been carted off over the years. I know ranchers commonly used the old RR ties for fences and would probably not pass up on lumber that could be used for sheds/barns etc. There is a ranch close by that could have easily been there not too long after the tunnel was constructed. As you know many of the area ranches have a long history here. I did locate an outline of an old rock structure but it may be the remains of a Cohonina pithouse as I saw many pottery shards and an arrowhead near the camp area. Here is a picture of it.

I agree that hiking the extent of the canyon would be great. It may have to wait until late next spring for me though. I rode my mountain bike to the tunnel. The old grade is an excellent mt. bike path. I also rode it up to the area above the tunnel. There were a couple steep hills but it was still a nice ride.

Here is the base of a bottle I found. There were many of these up there. I did a bit of research and found that this is the base of an old Budweiser bottle from the late 1870s to 1883 or so. The company that made the bottle went bankrupt in 1883 (I could be a year or two off on this date; I don't recall for sure). This date range fits perfectly with when the tunnel was constructed. That would have been 1881 or 1882. That is neat how how you found insulators. It is pretty hard finding undamaged ones. I followed the old telegraph line above the old grade and didn't see but a few pieces of broken insulators.

Here is a picture of some of the cans and glass at the camp site.

Here are a few more pictures from my recent outing:

This is the road on the hill above the tunnel. Bill Williams Mtn. is in the background.

This is looking southwest to the abandoned line in Johnson Canyon. The area in the foreground is where the impressive wooden trestle is located in the historic photos of the site.

Some cork-top bottle pieces.

Some more:

The east portal of the tunnel.

The west portal.

Grade west of tunnel.

Final pictures:

A limestone quarry just above the abandoned grade.

Looking east up Johnson Canyon toward Bill Williams Mtn.

Part of the trash dump near the Welch section-house foundation.

One final thing. I've got a number of old Forest Service maps that show the name 'Fairview' where the Welch section-house if located. It was named that until at least 1927 (the latest map I have showing that name) and is shown as 'Welch' on later maps.

Awesome pics!!! I love the "west portal" pic.
    Thanks JEC

Great pics, thanks.........Speedy

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Super nice JEC! Thanks for the photos!

Default Johnson Canyon

Yep, that's it. great pictures. I went out there today and hiked out to the tunnel. Awesome sight. I also saw the guard shack. I hiked below the tunnel into the canyon where there are great fossils and crystals from the blown out rocks due to tunnel blasting. Thanks for the info on the section house. I looked up FairView at the library in Sharlot Hall Museum in Prescott. Found a blurb on the community dating around the 1940's when a family still lived there. Apparently they still drove to Williams using parts of the Beale Highway and route 66.

I plan on hiking the entire canyon from the ranch down to FairView in the Spring. I want to take pictures of the train parts and anything else I can find in the canyon. I found a ton of railroad ties in the short amount of hiking that I did today but that was about it as it related to railroad stuff. I really want to find the town above the Tunnel but like your pics indicated, there isn't much left if that is indeed the town. I remember finding many of the glass shards that you found...especially the blue one with the 3 c's.

Thread Information