Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragoon Spring Station

Nice post, Joel. Very informative. I especially like the shot showing the map of stage sites. On the California end, the route led through the lower end of the Anza Borrego State Park and up through Warner Ranch and Oak Grove. NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    It's about 200 yards up from the road. Despite the mashed down wire at the gate, there is a pedestrian enterance.
    To my shock the Sons of the Confederate Army are tending the graves of four soldiers killed during the Apaches during the brief occupation of the Southwest. The rebels aren't my favorites, but it is good to see someone tending the old graves.
    Though the Confederates didn't figure large in AZ history, state Hwy 80 S of Benson is officially the "Jefferson Davis memorial highway". Johnny Reb has not forgotten Arizona.
    <
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

It's kind of funny that way. I thought the winners were suppose to rewrite history, not the losers.
    From what I have read of the Battle of Picacho Peak, both sides were more terrified of the Apaches than each other.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

That it is. The Apache Stronghold itself.

Yup, someone felled the windmill. Not quite sure why.
    Joel - what is that flat, man-made structure in the green brush?

More great photos and background, mate.
    That country looks as arid and barren as our "Outback". I assume that's why it's unpopulated?
    I fell under the spell of Cochise and the Apache story as a kid......I'd love to get a first hand feel of his homeland.
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

It's a water tank for cattle and corral.

It was giving quite a few bees and wasps drinks that day.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    The story of the Dragoon Station was in one of the episodes of Wild West Tech. IIRC they were scalped so it'd look like indians did it. One died instantly, another later on after suffering from his injuries, but one lived long enough to tell the soldiers who did it. Quite gruesome the way they died.
    It's a **** of a story. mexican employees murdered 3 American's with an axe & a stone maul, a 4th American survived, drove away the mexicans even though he had an axe wound in his hip & left arm partially severed. He protected the bodies of the slain men for 3 days against wolves & buzzards untill help arrived. 9 days after the incident his arm was apmutated by a doctor from Ft Buchannan. One month later he rode unassisted on horseback into Tucson. His name is Silas St John & he lived for a few more years.
    <
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    It's a **** of a story.
    <
    Yeah, it so happens TiVo recorded that episode the other day and I rewatched it just for that part
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Thanks for sharing.

On the way to the Dragoon Springs, there are about 20 of these rock lines that have some running back to the barbed wire fence and others just petering out fairly close to the fence. Any ideas?
    Sorry to necro-post but I just joined the site.
    I have also wondered what all the stone lines were out there. Maybe something to do with water drainage? There sure are a lot of them out there.

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Toppled over windmill. Must be a hoot on Saturday night.
    Perhaps it was tipped over to steal the motor for scrap? I'm surprised there are still so many windmills unattended out there.

Thread Information