Thread: The Noonday trail in the Bohemian Mining Dist.

Default The Noonday trail in the Bohemian Mining Dist.

This is a write up that I did a few months ago. I hope you enjoy it. It's the first write up I have ever done so bare with me.
    For those that are interested in old mines and mining trails. There is an old wagon trail that leads into the Bohemian mining Dist.East of Cottage Grove, Oregon. The Noonday trail was used as a way to get supplies by Mule and wagon upto the mines high up into the mining country. This trail is now a 4 wheel drive trail and is maintained by several 4 wheel drive clubs in the area. it starts out steep and rocky then turns to dirt with lots of switchbacks. Some parts I can not believe that a mule team and wagon ever made it. I had to make several point turn to get around in my Land Rover. The trail is only wide enough for one vehicle and there are few places to pull over. You can get to the top end of the trail by following the Champion Creek road or by Sharps Creek road. These roads are rough but not a challenge, although, a little hard on cars.
    As you drive the Noonday trail you will be in typical Cascade Oregon forests. You will be treated to great views now and then while still on the top of the mountains. Once you drop down, you are on a steep mountain side all the way to the bottom/top. It is a very pretty drive and is challenging in a few areas. Taking it in anything but a short wheeled vehicle has been done but not recommended.
    During the winter the trail is closed due to snow. This Saturday, June 28th 2008, I and several members from one of the 4x4 clubs are headed up to try and clear the downed trees that came down this last winter. This will no doubt take more then one day. Some of the trees are quite large and are going to require chainsaws and winchs to get them out of the trail. We may need the uses of a backhoe at some point to repair the trail to keep it in good shape.
    If you are in the area, you can find info. on how to get to the trail at most anyplace in the town of Cottage Grove. During Aug., the town has "The Bohimia Days", with a parade and several things to do during the weekend -including an early breakfast on top of the Bohemia area, at the base of Fairview Mountian. Most individuals drive up the Sharps Creek route. This is the best road up for cars. After breakfast, you can drive to the top of Fairview and visit the Fire Lookout Station and the restroom, plus, see for a hundred miles on a clear day. It is a working lookout and there is someone on duty most of the time. They allow you to climb the many stairs and see what it's like to be in a Fire Lookout Tower.
    This particular area is "loaded" with history and there are mines everywhere! Remember, some of these mines are active and you are not allowed to go into them. Plus, going into old mines is very dangerous, DON'T DO IT! It's a good idea to stop at the Forest Service Office which is east of Cottage Grove. There, you can get maps of the area, also, various information about the area as well. If you make it that way, would like to go on the Noonday trail, I would be very glad or happy to show you the way - or possibly take you on a Jeep ride for the price of Gas. It's pretty much an all day drive. You will need to take a lunch if you go and also, plenty of water to drink.
    Coodinator Oregon Chapter of 4x4him.org
    Member of Handgunhunt.com
    Expeditionportal.com
    PNWbackroadadventure.com
    Handgunhunt.com
    wheelersforthewounded.com
    militaryjeepers.com
    If you don't like logging then try using plastic toilet
    paper.
    Exploring Oregon in a Jeep
    Tread Lightly
    <><

Just a little update info. One of the local Jeep clubs have cleared the trail. ie logs removed from trail, brush cut back from trail. Etc. It's made the trail a little easier on your paint job now with the brush cut back.
    Coodinator Oregon Chapter of 4x4him.org
    Member of Handgunhunt.com
    Expeditionportal.com
    PNWbackroadadventure.com
    Handgunhunt.com
    wheelersforthewounded.com
    militaryjeepers.com
    If you don't like logging then try using plastic toilet
    paper.
    Exploring Oregon in a Jeep
    Tread Lightly
    <><