Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alto, Arizona

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Alto, Arizona

jkhygjytfyukjb35q24wp-
    Last edited by Vulture; 10-31-2008 at 03:36 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

This last remaining ruin was built in 1907. Alto is on forrest land today & is a beautiful spot for a day trip.

This is the only grave I could identify in the old cemetary.

Long view of the Grosnevor hills.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Vulture; 11-12-2008 at 03:39 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Good pics.

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Nice. It looks like a mini Stonehenge in that long shot. Are there mine ruins?

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Great pics Vulture! Love the San Cayetanos! Campp, there is a mine just to the east of the ruin.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Why did I ever leave Tuscon, It was more money at the job. I hope to retire with a small rv boat and 4x4, and never sit still again. If you find me just bury me there.

If I see this right it's the Grosvenor hills (1st blue ridge), then the San Cayetano mts (center), then the Tumacacori mts in the far distance.

[/IMG]

Campp, I'll get a shot of the mines & tailings next time, (whenever that is). This area is loosing it's appeal for me as there are McMansions sprouting up along the old road. It's still a pretty & historically rich area, just kinda' spoils the romance.

In addition to the (Horace) Grosvenor hills, the Santa Rita mts two highest peaks are named for William Wrightson & Gilbert Hopkins. All were first generation American mining men killed in Apache attacks within a few miles of here.

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 06-20-2008 at 09:43 PM.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Vulture, Another informative post, neat pictures. What I wanna know is...are you guys going to these places in this miserable *****(self-censored) heat? If so, how in the heck to you do it? This time of year, I can barely walk to the mailbox without gasping for air.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Vulture, Another informative post, neat pictures. What I wanna know is...are you guys going to these places in this miserable *****(self-censored) heat? If so, how in the heck to you do it? This time of year, I can barely walk to the mailbox without gasping for air.
    Thanks Laura,
    I used to GT year round but a couple of years ago I stopped going in the summer. I got tired of getting home & ringing out my boots.
    I took these shots of Alto last April.

<

One more for the road...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vulture; 06-21-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    Why did I ever leave Tuscon,
    H ell, only good thing about Tucson is that's it's close to good things.

<

Thread Information