Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Can I Live?

Default Where Can I Live?

Hey Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am a recent college graduate with a degree in Music Education with a vocal emphasis. I am not sure where in the wide world I want to live, but always thought it would be great to live in a small town. I mean real small, less than 100 people. I don't know if I would love it or if I would hate it, but I think it would be a real great experience to try it out before I either figure out where I want to live or decide that a "ghost town" is where I want to be. I am also looking for a place that is somewhat isolated. I know there are a lot of small population towns, but they are just a stones throw from the rest of the world. I am looking for a very shut off short of experience. Does anyone know of a place like this where I could live, and support myslef, for a couple of months? I would need to be able to have a job and pay for lodgings and food as well as possible transportation needs if I couldn't get around on bicycle or walking. Thank you.

Omar

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Talking

Omar...I suggest a private message to BrianX10. I'm certain he would have some great advice for you that probably should not be shared with us common folk. OJ

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by old judge View Post
    Omar...I suggest a private message to BrianX10. I'm certain he would have some great advice for you that probably should not be shared with us common folk. OJ
    Personally,
    I'm about fed up and would like nothing better than to drop out of society.
    Problem is, I'm too weak to live without ac, though I could cut firewood for heat. Then there's the problem of no money .
    If I could afford a place like that, and could afford wireless internet, and food for me and 2 small dogs, I'm in.

Now if I had a business partner with connections, we could intercept drug deals out in the desert, kill or apprehend the dealers, turn in the drugs, and keep the money.

I'm not looking for a roommate. I want to be on my own as much as anybody else. I'm just looking for a town of say 40 or so people, in the middle of nowhere, that I can find two month employment that doesn't involve tourists.

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Not to discourage your dream, but I think it's that employment thing that will be VERY difficult to find in a small town. Especially if you discount tourism. Good luck, though!

Default Gabbs, Nevada

Sounds like you might want Gabbs, NV. This town is almost ghost and there is a magnesium mine there where you might work. Also in Ione, NV another almost ghost around Gabbs, Berlin area,Berlin is a GT. These are in about the center of the state. There is a road between Berlin and Ione just not totally maintained but passable.

Default Omar, you are scaring me

It is not normal to seek such an existence. That is why it is strange that you have come to us. Of course we will encourage you, even give you suggestions, however, we know our ourselves and our weaknesses. You are young, grasshopper. Go find some grass and hop. Be normal. Someday when you are old and wise, such an existense as you seek might be there for you. Until then bury yourself in the big city, work long hours, chase women, and visit websites like this only to relieve yourself that you are truly not like us. NJ
    Last edited by Norman Johnson; 06-30-2008 at 05:41 PM.
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Thanks for the info teds280z. How do you know about these towns? Also, looking at the map, I see that there is a ghost town called Luning about 30 miles away and that it is about 10 minles from Mina. Mina apparently has a school. I am a teacher so anywhere with a school works for me as long as I can substitute teach. I only need money for rent, utilities, food and travel. Not necessarily cheap, but no life of luxury either. Do you know anything about these places? Do you happen to live near them? And Norman, I appreciate the concerns, but don't worry, I'm not looking to run away forever, at least not yet. The big city is exactly what I don't want to bury myself in. I'm just looking for a two month stint for now.

Luning, Nevada is not a ghost town, it has an operating post office. It's also astride a busy highway, the main Las Vegas to Reno highway, with lots of truck traffic. Though not particularly ugly, Luning is in the desert.

Might I suggest Jarbidge, Nevada? Very isolated, nearly astride the Idaho border. A year round population of about 25. It does have a post office, operating three days weekly. Dirt roads. One restaurant, a gas station and rustic motel. Lots of alpine scenery. What properties I've seen for sale seem to be reasonable. See my webpage on Jarbidge at:

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/jarbidge.html

Midas, Nevada is also another nice semi-ghost town. Less than 50 people. A bar and another restaraunt. Some 30 miles or so of dirt roads to get there. No pavement in or around town. Beautiful scenery, though not as alpine as Jarbidge.
    Last edited by David A. Wright; 07-01-2008 at 08:52 AM.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Good suggestions: I have been to the towns I mentioned. The family restaurant in Gabbs had a great breakfast, everything homemade or home grown. If you would need a job I would definately. I did not see much to do in Ione. There is a area in California that has alot of small towns is look over the towns on US395 south of Carson City. NV. What I am thinking about is Independence, Big Pine, Lone Pine, Clifornia. Beautiful area of desert and Mts. GTs all over there

Thread Information