Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dragoon Madness

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

The miner's shack or cabin from above.

An old wrecked cabin from Jordan Canyon. I will caution folks about the Dragoons. There is very little water, very few foot trails and most 4WD roads are not marked. Also, wildlife abounds. By one spring I actually heard a kitten meowing. I got out of there quickly.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Fantastic find, Joel!
    Funny how you kill yourself in this heat for such a tiny payoff at Fourr's, only to stumble on this other great find. But thats the way it is out there!
    I'm guessing mining activity stopped sometime in the 60s judging by the plastic dinnerware and the 50's era truck near the end. Those bottles are interesting, could be from the same era? If they looked really old, I'd be begging you for directions! (Not that I would make it in this heat!)

While I was posting this you posted more pictures. Maybe someone took the wheel off the wheelbarrow to repair it, got drunk and forgot where they put it. I found it a little eerie about the redcent tow away. It must take a super heavy duty truck to drag a wreack from that place, and , from what my (highly trained mechanical expert) eyes could see, nothing there was even the least bit salvageable!

On to the next one!
    Last edited by brian10x; 06-29-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thanks. The book had directions that can't work these days thanks to locked gates. The rough map was all I needed!
    Phooey on the heat. I went back there today to see what else the NW Quad had and struck out. That mine of yours was a no-show. It must have been a pit that was filled in and the desert reclaimed.
    No matter though. I was doing what I love to do and hoofed it across the mountains. I don't need an air conditioned gift shop with glass hammers, rubber nails, t-shirts and fancy dining in the snack bar. Just give me the wild west wind.

H.L. Mencken

Yes, that tow away was a mystery. I was finding auto parts on the road: flattened gas tank, grill and headlights. I was wondering how the scavengers ever missed those for all those years. What gets me is that who ever towed it off had to have a combination to one of the locked gates.

H.L. Mencken

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Thanks. The book had directions that can't work these days thanks to locked gates. The rough map was all I needed!
    Phooey on the heat. I went back there today to see what else the NW Quad had and struck out. That mine of yours was a no-show. It must have been a pit that was filled in and the desert reclaimed.
    No matter though. I was doing what I love to do and hoofed it across the mountains. I don't need an air conditioned gift shop with glass hammers, rubber nails, t-shirts and fancy dining in the snack bar. Just give me the wild west wind.
    I swear to God Joel you are one of the few guys I know tough enough to be able to go back 120 years and fit right in!

Yes, that tow away was a mystery. I was finding auto parts on the road: flattened gas tank, grill and headlights. I was wondering how the scavengers ever missed those for all those years. What gets me is that who ever towed it off had to have a combination to one of the locked gates.
    Well, as someone who considers himself a "responsible" scavenger (if thats not an oxymoron) most of that stuff you mentioned and in the pictures is really interesting but dosen't shout "old West" so much as for instance, the Model A tire that made my day (No comments Vulture!) a few months back.

One reason I need to shape up enough to go out there with you is to take pictures of us inside those relics for comic relief. Its my kinda thing.

Correction: I went back over those pictures. I think liquid pump Ivory hand soap is a fairly recent maketing tool. Be careful out there. There might be an insane drug crazed miner with clean hands after you!
    Last edited by brian10x; 06-29-2008 at 04:56 PM.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thumbs up

Another great post Joel! I'm so glad someone's brave enough to go out in this miserable, oppressive heat so I can sit here with the cold air conditioning running and enjoy your terrific finds.
    Keep up the good work, but, DO BE CAREFUL OUT THERE PLEASE!
    Last edited by LauraA; 06-29-2008 at 04:58 PM.

Default Nice boot!

Great photos. Makes me itch to get back to the desert again, but I will wait for Sept. and cooler weather. Then I have a whole plan for Manly Peak, the Lost Mormon Mine, and Butte Valley. NJ.
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Thanks all. Always willing to share Brian, it's just a long way in and out on foot. Kind of suspected that if anyone was with me, I'd never hear the end of it. Cat's claws love to grow in the low lands there!

H.L. Mencken

Thanks all. Always willing to share Brian, it's just a long way in and out on foot. Kind of suspected that if anyone was with me, I'd never hear the end of it. Cat's claws love to grow in the low lands there!
    We really need to contact someone at the Discovery channel about you.
    They already have Man VS Wild and Survivorman, maybe we could talk them into a show with you called Man VS Inferno. You might have to eat scorpions and take your shirt off for the ladies, though.

Thread Information