Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dragoon Madness

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Haha! Never wanted to be on TV bad enough to eat bugs! I just have a hard time staying on the trails and there are very few in the Dragoons and almost none in the NW part.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Nice find, another scrap of history rescued from the dust bin of obscurity.

We have lots of that in AZ.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Another killer post and set of pictures. That yellow Ford C truck dates to circa 1960 or so. Thanks Joel.

Sorry again to revive such an old post but I couldn't help myself.
    These photos of the old mine are very interesting.
    I've hiked back into Jordan Canyon a ways but now that I've studied the map better I think I should have gone right instead of left to head down the trail that appears to run into a "JEEP TRAIL" that's indicated on the maps I have. If you head west on this jeep trail you run into Fourr Canyon and Fourr Canyon Road it appears. Maybe if you travel east down this road you'll run into this mine site? They needed a fairly well developed road to get all that equipment back there and this "JEEP TRAIL" is the only primitive road I can find that's in the area.
    Joel- you seem to have a lot of experience hiking in this area. Any idea what the stone ruins are on the left bank of the old Dragoon Springs wash, maybe 1/4 mile south down the wash from where the old watering hole site was and the formal trail ends? It looks to be very old. Maybe indian ruins?
    There's so much to see down there.. the furthest I've gone down Old Ranch Road is to the Dragoon Springs station turn off. Next week on my day off I'll probably continue south on it and see how far I can get before I hit a gate. I'd like to get to Fourr Canyon Rd. from Old Ranch Rd. but I'm sure the way is blocked.
    I also need to see Council Rocks and the Whitehouse ruins too. If I don't have any luck getting to Fourr Ranch Rd. that day I'll head to Council Rocks and see if I can get to it from the north or the west through St. David.

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Joel doesn't seem to be round here anymore. The ruins you mentioned are, I think, the spring. I have read a soldiers diary mentioning a stop over to repair the walls. This was the day before the battle at Apache Pass.

The road is indeed blocked to get to Fourr's fort. I have not been able to gain access. I believe the newer ranch that Fourr built is near the modern ranch. I'd sure like to see it.

Have you or anyone else noticed the unmarked grave at the Dragoon stage stop?

If you'd like to get together, I live in Bisbee and sure would like to get to Fourr's fort, I can show you Council rock and the treaty site where Jeffords and the Apaches met with the one armed General.
    “You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as4.gif Teilhard de Chardin quote

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I'm still here. Just lurking in the wings so to speak. Not quite sure as to just what happened to my free time these days.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

I came across this post after a recent hike with my daughter into Fourr Canyon. I had seen the outline of the old cabin on Google Earth and had to go check things out. The old building and the mine look very similar to the photos above....even the dishes on the shelves are pretty much in the same location. All of the vehicles and mine machinery are gone however. In looking through older versions of Google Earth, it appears that the materials had been removed by 2010. With access at the mouth of the canyon so restricted, it would be interesting to know the circumstances that led to the removal of the vehicles and old machinery. It is strange that the roads are identified with carbonite markers but are not accessible!Name:  fourr.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  74.4 KB

I have many more photos of the trip posted at:

www.azbackcountryadventures.com/fourr.htm

My daughter and I recently walked into this mine site. None of the equipment or vehicles remain. It appears in looking at earlier versions of Google Earth that those items have been gone since 2010. With vehicular access so restricted by the rancher at the mouth of the canyon, it would be interesting to know the story of what happened. Surprisingly, the remainder of the site looks pretty much the same as it did in 2008. I have photos of our trip posted at: www.azbackcountryadventures.com/fourr.htm

I went to your link with the pictures from your hike. Very nice stuff and good history there.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Thumbs up Amazing!

Awesome pictures, a super rare find! I really hope you keep it under wraps, all that place DOESN'T need is a bunch of grubby treasure hunters poking around. I hope it was just as much of a treat in person!

Thread Information