Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese Balloon Bombs

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

When I lost my leg I was hospitalised in the Royal Thai Military Hospital with a few victims of unexploded ordinance, mainy from the Laotian border reagions and land-mines in Cambodia. Nasty stuff!
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

Default The Japanese Balloons

The only people that were ever killed in the lower 48 during WWII was a preacher and his wife with some kids on a picnic. The wife and kids jumped out of the car and were looking around while the preacher was get stuff out of the car. All of a sudden he heard the boom and ran over where they were, and found them all dead. It killed everyone buth the preacher. I think the number of deaths was 6. It's very sad and I pray that no one else is killed by them. There are still almost 1000 that are unaccounted for if I remember right. I saw a mock up of one of them somewhere and I want to say it was at the Ripley's believe it or not in Newport, Oregon, but I can't promise that's were I saw it. rupe
    Coodinator Oregon Chapter of 4x4him.org
    Member of Handgunhunt.com
    Expeditionportal.com
    PNWbackroadadventure.com
    Handgunhunt.com
    wheelersforthewounded.com
    militaryjeepers.com
    If you don't like logging then try using plastic toilet
    paper.
    Exploring Oregon in a Jeep
    Tread Lightly
    <><

Default interesting discussion

I was just at the Coos County Historical & Maritime Museum and they have a display regarding this. Also, if you are interested in Japanese attacks on the continental U.S. (did we learn about this in school? I don't remember!), Fort Stevens in Warrenton has information regarding sub attacks in the area and in Curry County there is a trail that has been dedicated that leads to a crater from a Japanese bombing and the pilot from Japan who dropped the bombs was made an honorary citizen of Brookings (I think it was Brookings) before his death. After his death, his daughter brought some of his ashes and spread them in the area.

interesting stuff.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by danny_stoddard View Post
    (did we learn about this in school? I don't remember!)
    We sure weren't told anything about balloon bombs or Japanese subs when I was in school, perhaps they were too busy teaching us how to dig fallout shelters and how we could protect ourselves from nuclear explosions by hiding under our desks and covering our eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    We sure weren't told anything about balloon bombs or Japanese subs when I was in school, perhaps they were too busy teaching us how to dig fallout shelters and how we could protect ourselves from nuclear explosions by hiding under our desks and covering our eyes.
    I remember doing that, and seeing commercials on doing it as well. Times have changed, now we know it wouldn't have done much good if they had dropped the big one on us.
    I had no idea that a plane dropped a bomb in Oregon. Then they made him an honorary cititzen. HUM? Did they make any off our pilot honorary citizens over there? Doubtful.
    All I want is to not come up on any of these bombs while I'm out playing in the woods. Talk about ruining your day.
    When I was in school I wasn't really interested in History unless it was about the Old West. But now that I'm older (Much older), I really enjoy history. I still like the old west, but there is alot of history I enjoy now.
    And what better way to learn it then from the drivers seat of our Jeep JK. rupe
    Expeditionportal.com
    PNWbackroadadventure.com
    Handgunhunt.com
    militaryjeepers.com
    paper.
    Tread Lightly
    <><

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I learned some of the Japan attack stuff in school, but more from watching the History and Military channels. There were a few attacks up North around Alaska even.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

They took over one of the Islands up there in Alaska on the end of the Aluetions (sp) But we won it back. That was one of the reasons that the Al-can highway was build in case they came over that way. There is a great PBS show on the building of the Al-can, wow what a feat!. Even though it's paved now, I would sure like to drive it someday and then head up to Prudoe Bay. My Father in law drove truck during the building of the pipeline. Now he has got some stories. rupe
    Expeditionportal.com
    PNWbackroadadventure.com
    Handgunhunt.com
    militaryjeepers.com
    paper.
    Tread Lightly
    <><

There was also an attack down here in So Cal.....near santa barbara when a jap sub shelled an oil refinery.......

Sure is alot of stuff they didn't teach us in school isn't there? Wonder how much more they have keeped from us? It seems like a little more each year comes out. Sure is interesting to learn about all this. I see alot of things on PBS that I didn't know. Great stuff. rupe
    Expeditionportal.com
    PNWbackroadadventure.com
    Handgunhunt.com
    militaryjeepers.com
    paper.
    Tread Lightly
    <><