Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian ghost towns

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Australian ghost towns

Gravelrash,
    When you mentioned you bought an ATV, it got me curious about what it might be like exploring ghost towns in your neck of the woods.
    I was pleasantly surprised to find quite a few ghosts left over from Australia's own gold rush a few years back.
    If I had 2 nickels to rub together I might be saving for a trip to visit you and your ghosttowns. It looks far more interesting than I had imagined.
    Before you hop the pond over here, maybe you could check a few out and snap a picture or two for our amusement ?
    In my research, one of the more interesting finds I came across was Cassilis, in Gippsland, Victoria.

The Cassilis mining operation, circa 1900

Present day Cassilis
    Last edited by brian10x; 07-17-2008 at 08:59 AM.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Newnes

Found another gem in Newnes, New South Wales.

Newnes was a former oil shale mining site.
    Here's a shot of the ruins of the coke ovens that I'd LOVE to explore:

Default Linda,Tasmania

Finally, a tasty treat from Linda, in Tasmania. Linda was a mining town, but I'm not sure what exactly they were mining there.
    The Royal hotel, shown below, was closed in the 1950s. I love creepy looking relics, and if I were born rich instead of handsome (well, neither, actually) I'd be on the next flight out to check for Tasmanian devils, or anything else interesting:

(By the way, Pete, you know where the quote on the bottom of the page is from, right?)
    Last edited by brian10x; 07-17-2008 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks for the share, Brian! Some very cool sites indeed. The Cassilis operation looks pretty extensive- I wonder how much is left?
    Crazy girl Photographing Ghost Towns! Great Success!!!

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

BRIAN!!!!
    WOW - Newnes is part of my old stomping grounds! Interesting co-incidence: there's also a Cassilis in New South Wales, which is only a few miles from Newnes. I don't live too far away from the Victorian Cassilis you've written about, so I have a new destination to check out!! Thanks mate!
    That whole region of NSW figures large in my family history.
    My (paternal) G-G-G-G-G Grandfather was stationed in that region when he served in the British Army. He settled in the region when he left the King's service, and became a Magistrate at a nearby Court House/village named Little Hartley. It was the first Court established on the western side of the Blue Mountains. Granpappy did for the convicts what King George only dreamed about!!
    My maternal G-G-G-G-G-G-Granfather was .... a convict! Yay!
    (The Blue Mountains are part of The Great Dividing Range, and kept the fledgling settlement of Sydney locked on the coast , and nearly starved out, from 1788 until they were finally crossed in 1825. Australian mountains are not high, but they are extremely rugged, and the Blue Mountains are all that and more. It is a bush-walkers paradise.)

Not far from Newnes are the towns of Sofala and Hill End. My avatar is related to a gold find at Hill End.
    Sofala was my first "ghost town" - it was a shadow of it's former self, with few inhabitants in the 1960's when my Dad introduced me to it. It has a larger pop. now, but is still a great place to go. VERY GOOD PUB!
    Hill End is only 30-something miles away, but Dad used to consider the road too bad (it wasn't, but that was him) so I didn't really explore it until the mid-70's but once I became familiar with it and it's history, it was "mine". I felt like I had some proprietal right to it, because it was neglected by all but a few like me and my mates. We used to pan for gold, hike the area and "get on the turps" 3/4 times a year. Great weekends.
    So I was pretty disgusted when Hill End "arrived" on the tourist trail. "We" sorta knew it would happen when the local council fixed up the road - which we opposed. However, not being rate payers of the Shire, we had no say.
    Suffice it to say, "my" Hill End has been gentrified and gussied-up for the wine-sippers and latte drinkers of Sydney.... but it is still a cool place, despite that. The bush out that way is awesome. No other word for it. Not for the feint-hearted, either.

Newnes has suffered the indignity of having a mega-resort built nearby; an expensive wank for Yuppies and Nimbies. Priced the locals out, as usual.
    The whole area is stunningly beautiful and great to camp in.
    Not too far away as the crow flies, and in the same ecological setting, the ancient Wollomi Pine was discovered a few years ago.
    That is worth a google or two!
    My Mother has a Wollomi Pine growing now.
    The shale oil was a going concern right up until the late 1950's and it is still viable. The entire region is a black anthracite coal field of massive proportions. It has been estimated there's about 700 years supply there. Of course, given the Green flavor we have all been forced to suck on....NO MINING the dark gold!
    Still, it's there for when saner heads prevail. (Dad was in mine management.)

As for the ATVing of my region.... this is paradise for that sort of stuff. Hundreds of miles with no people.
    I want to point out I've always been a bike rider. I've only gone down this route as a way to get into the bush, as I can't hike any more. I don't do rev-head stuff..... I love the silence and solitude.
    Busy 24 hours.... but I'll write more about some of the GT's I know, later. I just didn't think people would be interested in Oz stuff. I'm rapt!
    Last edited by Gravelrash; 07-18-2008 at 03:52 AM.
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

"This ain't Dodge City. And you ain't Bill Hickock."
    That quote, Brian? I've seen it before, but can't place it. I know you are gonna tell me......

Ahhh, yes!...QUIGLEY!!!!

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Looks like there are some tales to be told.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Pete,
    I'm thrilled to death that I have you as an Aussie connection. Maybe if you can spare a day away from the store, you could take a few pictures for us!

Except for the greenies and the abhorrent gun laws, I really love Australia. The ghost towns, the cool cars, Australian women, and how cool is it that the natives can say they are decended from convicts? Too cool! And did I mention Australian women?

Not to even mention you get to drive supercharged police interceptors dressed in leather with a dingo in the passenger seat looking out for post-apocalypse gangs of fuel-starved crazies in wacky cars trying to kill you and steal your fuel while you blow them away with a sawed-off shotgun eat dog food and never have to bathe!
    Last edited by brian10x; 07-18-2008 at 06:16 AM.

Pete, I'm thrilled to death that I have you as an Aussie connection.
    It's mutual, Brian. The welcome I have received at this board, and the friendships I've made, have been the highlight of the last year. Man, I've even learned more than most people need to know about Turnbull Canyon and Gravity Hill, and that has been life enhancing. In fact, I may never be the same!

Maybe if you can spare a day away from the store, you could take a few pictures for us!
    I have a terrible confession to make..... I am one of those "Darn, I wish I'd brought the camera" types. Since joining GT.com, however, I've made some improvements to that! Last Christmas I "bought my daughter" (LOL) a nice digital camera with 10x zoom. Second time out with it, I left in on the car bonnet (hood??) and drove off. Still haven't lived THAT down!

However, from what little I have, I'll post. (I tried to uplaod some last night but I think the internet traffic USA/Oz was in overlaod yesterday.

Except for the greenies and the abhorrent gun laws, I really love Australia.
    Have I mentioned my appreciation of the American Constitution, especially the Second Amendment?? We had a nut-case, name of Martin Bryant, cut loose at Port Arthur, in Tasmania, about 15 years ago. Thatled to a national crackdown on ALL automatic and semi-automatic weapons and really strict gun laws. I only had an old bolt action (WW2) 303 and a 9 shot .320, but "they" said it was time to hand them in, in an amnesty. I was going overseas to work, so I handed them in..... and have regreted it ever since. Still, since the Muslim invasion of Australia...... it's probably a good thing! (He said, tongue firmly planted in cheek!! )

Let's not talk about the Greens.

The ghost towns, the cool cars, Australian women, and how cool is it that the natives can say they are decended from convicts? Too cool! And did I mention Australian women?

What, you like hairy Amazons with arse-kicking attitude???

Not to even mention you get to drive supercharged police interceptors dressed in leather with a dingo in the passenger seat looking out for post-apocalypse gangs of fuel-starved crazies in wacky cars trying to kill you and steal your fuel while you blow them away with a sawed-off shotgun eat dog food and never have to bathe!
    As 86 used to say, " Oh, MAX"
    You know, when you go to South Australia, it's not hard to imagine you are in Mad Max...... they are a weird mob over that way!! South Australians - "Crow-Eaters" to us - are strange people. They seem to take great pride in the fact that they are THE ONLY STATE that never had convicts! How can they possibly be Australian?
    I, on the other hand, being able to trace my ancestry back
    to The Second Fleet (1792).... I'm Australian Aristocracy. You can grovel and kiss my ring when we meet! Send money, actually!

Thread Information