Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: metal detecting Gost Towns

Being a newbie here, I wasn't sure how you "ghost towners" thought of this subject. I am happy to read you feel this way.

When the AP reporter came to our town and did an article about "Ghost Towning", I was very surprised, shocked really, to read what the author wrote about folks taking stuff from ghost towns. Made it look like it was okay to do that. The way I feel about it, it's like taking something from someone's home without permission. I wouldn't want any one to do it to me.

It's cool to go and take photos of a ghost town - which you folks here do wonderfully and with loads of talent.

We ask people to follow a simple rule. It starts with "Take" and ends in "Footprints". Have seen these words on this forum many times!

Thanks,

Kathy
    Kathy

I just read an interesting article about Bodie, and the park rangers recounted tales of people taking items from there, even as small as a nail, and then returning them later, because they had "things" happen to them after they got home. They didn't elaborate on what exactly happened to these thieves, but it reminds me of people who bring rocks home, volcanic rocks, from Hawaii and end up returning them because they have bad luck.

and welcome LV, I am a noob too, but this is a great place for information and the folks are real nice too.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

It's not such an innocent hobby as some folks might think. The graveyard at Charleston is gone. "Collectors" who were selling it at a garage sale. Not such a harmless past-time. And such is only the tip of the ice-berg!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...23-parks_N.htm

http://www.nevadarockart.info/news.htm
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Then there's this guy: Dee Brecheisen. He kicked up collecting a few notches it seems.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/233600.php

H.L. Mencken

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity June View Post
    I just read an interesting article about Bodie, and the park rangers recounted tales of people taking items from there, even as small as a nail, and then returning them later, because they had "things" happen to them after they got home. They didn't elaborate on what exactly happened to these thieves, but it reminds me of people who bring rocks home, volcanic rocks, from Hawaii and end up returning them because they have bad luck.

and welcome LV, I am a noob too, but this is a great place for information and the folks are real nice too.
    As a lot of you know, I was born and raised on Oahu, and I honestly feel this bad luck thing is all a bunch of hooey.

My parents went to the big island when my mother was pregnant with me, visited the volcanoes, and she took a small lava rock home.

Upon arriving home, of her Hawaiian friends told her to return the rock at once, or angry gods would make her baby turn out hideously ugly, slightly retarded, and morbidly obese.

Well 2 out of three don't make it true.

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    As a lot of you know, I was born and raised on Oahu, and I honestly feel this bad luck thing is all a bunch of hooey.

My parents went to the big island when my mother was pregnant with me, visited the volcanoes, and she took a small lava rock home.

Upon arriving home, of her Hawaiian friends told her to return the rock at once, or angry gods would make her baby turn out hideously ugly, slightly retarded, and morbidly obese.

Well 2 out of three don't make it true.

I do believe in "bad karma" and taking things that don't belong to you and should be left undisturbed is not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity June View Post

I do believe in "bad karma" and taking things that don't belong to you and should be left undisturbed is not a good idea.
    Karma "good and bad" happens. I had an "bad karma" incident about 10 years ago. I vowed to not let that happen again. And it has worked.

Thanks for the "Welcome"!
    Kathy

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Then there's this guy: Dee Brecheisen. He kicked up collecting a few notches it seems.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/233600.php

I think I'd go after the guy who tipped them off. 30 years after the fact before he finally told someone? BS.

Taking artifacts is one thing, but looting or defacing graves and their markers is another. I'm not religious in any sense, but I hope that people that do that stuff have a very special place waiting for them when they pass.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

I concur. Thirty years is a tad long for silence. And for any ghoul that steals from the dead, I have only utter contempt for.

From what I have seen of human nature, everything starts off small. Maybe metal detecting for a few nails and or coins. Maybe next time, that sewer pipe since no one's using it. Maybe the time after that, a brick and then a whole wall.
    Collections have to be built and improved. Very few of us are satisfied with what we have in life.
    As for myself, I take only pictures and leave only bootprints. I would like the next guy to be able to see what I saw and maybe someone a few years or decades to see the same things.
    I know, high hopes in these days.

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I concur. Thirty years is a tad long for silence. And for any ghoul that steals from the dead, I have only utter contempt for.

From what I have seen of human nature, everything starts off small. Maybe metal detecting for a few nails and or coins. Maybe next time, that sewer pipe since no one's using it. Maybe the time after that, a brick and then a whole wall.
    Collections have to be built and improved. Very few of us are satisfied with what we have in life.
    As for myself, I take only pictures and leave only bootprints. I would like the next guy to be able to see what I saw and maybe someone a few years or decades to see the same things.
    I know, high hopes in these days.
    Oh yes Joe you are so correct. I can't get to Bodie this year, but the few places I am going to be able to go to, I can hardly wait to see what is left of the past.

Thread Information