Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: metal detecting Gost Towns

  1. #21
    GaryB's Avatar
    GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Caliente, NV
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I
    I know, high hopes in these days.
    It's always been an issue. The neighbors (older couple) where I grew up as a kid in Vegas were part of a local offroad club. One weekend they went to Delamar, NV and torn down an old wood building for another member to use as decoration in his house. After some choice words, they never spoke much after that to my knowledge.

    It PO'd my dad as far as destruction of something historical for no reason more than personal use, and the fact we have family history tied to Delamar.

    BTW this was the late 70's.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

    http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

  2. #22
    GaryB's Avatar
    GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Caliente, NV
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calamity June View Post
    I can't get to Bodie this year, but the few places I am going to be able to go to, I can hardly wait to see what is left of the past.
    <--- clicky the picture.

    As it was in May.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

    http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    <--- clicky the picture.

    As it was in May.
    Oh man those picture, that town, are just beyond cool.
    I am just working my way through the silde show.
    To see all the stuff still in the houses, the coat hanging on the nail right where somebody left it, all those personal items and furniture. It is really unbelievable.
    I keep trying to imagine what it was like in it's hayday, one thing I read was that the main street was a mile long..holy crud!
    The schoolroom, it looks like the kids just walked out and never returned, or were planning to return. I can't believe the amount of things left behind. And i find it ever more amazing that so much is still there, maybe, just maybe, there is hope for people yet.

    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Last edited by Calamity June; 08-15-2008 at 03:18 PM.

  4. #24
    bad bob's Avatar
    bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    1,416

    Default

    There wouldn't be much left were it not for the small cadre of Park Rangers that live year-round on the site, CJ.
    Too bad ALL historic sites are not afforded the same protections.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    There wouldn't be much left were it not for the small cadre of Park Rangers that live year-round on the site, CJ.
    Too bad ALL historic sites are not afforded the same protections.
    Oh that explains that then. I really couldn't believe it, most people being what they are. I know I sound cynical, but there it is.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I am a college student majoring in history and archaeology and I think one of the saddest things that I have ever heard of or seen is the vandalism that goes on in many historical places that just haven't been "officially" protected yet. Just because there isn't a ranger standing around or a park police around the corner, people think they can do whatever they want with whatever there is. But if they only realized that what they destroy can never be recreated again, maybe things would be different. We can learn so much from yesterdays past, it always thrills me when I get to see a ghost town left in tact and not damaged too much by vandals or looters.

    I must admit sometimes it is a temptation for me not to leave everything as I see it. Especially if I see signs that someone has been vandalizing the site recently. And if I see something that I know would be of value to a museum or a heritage center, it is hard for me to resist saving the item. But 99.9% if the time I do. It does inspire me though to hurry and finish my studies so that I can work to further study and protect these wonderful windows into our past!

    Please folks, let's all work to help preserve our past so that future generations will be able to also enjoy these wonderful treasures that we have been able to enjoy! There is nothing like visiting a ghost town!!!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Modesto,CA
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostphoto View Post
    I am a college student majoring in history and archaeology and I think one of the saddest things that I have ever heard of or seen is the vandalism that goes on in many historical places that just haven't been "officially" protected yet. Just because there isn't a ranger standing around or a park police around the corner, people think they can do whatever they want with whatever there is. But if they only realized that what they destroy can never be recreated again, maybe things would be different. We can learn so much from yesterdays past, it always thrills me when I get to see a ghost town left in tact and not damaged too much by vandals or looters.

    I must admit sometimes it is a temptation for me not to leave everything as I see it. Especially if I see signs that someone has been vandalizing the site recently. And if I see something that I know would be of value to a museum or a heritage center, it is hard for me to resist saving the item. But 99.9% if the time I do. It does inspire me though to hurry and finish my studies so that I can work to further study and protect these wonderful windows into our past!

    Please folks, let's all work to help preserve our past so that future generations will be able to also enjoy these wonderful treasures that we have been able to enjoy! There is nothing like visiting a ghost town!!!
    Welcome.
    I wished more like you.
    I was at another ghost town website to day.
    He photographed a recent (?) burned
    stamp mill.But, as what vandals do,a
    building was torched also.
    My best to you.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant, Utah
    Posts
    29

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by jbodine View Post
    If It were me making the trip I would probably go to the home page of this site and click the places on the map where you may want to detect,
    I just went to the home page but did not see a map, where is it?
    Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check, because I have to pass one to earn it for them?

  9. #29
    LauraA's Avatar
    LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Roosevelt, Arizona
    Posts
    1,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo2 View Post
    I just went to the home page but did not see a map, where is it?
    Here's the home page. Go to the top of the page and scroll down to the state you want. (enjoy the music) Ghost Towns and History of the American West

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Central Orange County
    Posts
    440

    Default Disgust

    I lived in a small town in Japan that was an important castle town and important regional military and political center from the late 1540s until the early 1590s.

    The former castle site had been demolished around 1630 to prevent potential rebels from using it, so there are few signs left of what it used to look like. Even the few stone wall foundations were destroyed.

    The curator at the local museum said one local historian had taken a number of items for his collection, even though the site was a nationally protected one. So others wouldn't follow his example, I got a compass and topo map of the site, bought plastic bags and rubber bands, and climbed the castle hill a few times a month looking for artifacts. When I found something I tagged it, marked its location on my map, and took it to the local museum.

    In exchange for the artifacts (mostly 15th and 16th century porcelain shards and roof tile pieces), the curator gave me lessons in identifying Ming Dynasty and other kinds of porcelain. I later found out that some of my finds went on national exhibit and were published in a book about the warlord who owned the castle.

    While I was tempted to keep a piece or two for myself, my conscience as a historian made me turn everything over. A shard of Ming Dynasty porcelain means little by itself, but it can mean a lot when properly cataloged and identified. I found that local lore about the castle's use were probably wrong, as I found pieces of rice bowls in an area traditionally thought of as the area where the stables were.

    While I'd love to metal detect in old town sites to find buttons and coins before they corrode into oblivion, I'd only do so if I recorded where I found the pieces and turned them over to the local museum near the site. I hate to see history sold away as trinkets.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. metal detecting some of the calif. ghost towns.
    By Ghosttowns.com in forum History of Ghost Towns and Historical Sites
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 01:24 AM
  2. Metal Detecting Ghost Towns
    By Ghosttowns.com in forum Land Types, Land Usages and Access Privileges
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 07:24 PM
  3. Metal Detecting in ghost towns
    By Ghosttowns.com in forum History of Ghost Towns and Historical Sites
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2002, 02:52 AM
  4. metal detecting and ghost towns
    By Ghosttowns.com in forum History of Ghost Towns and Historical Sites
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2002, 03:11 PM
  5. Ghost towns and metal detecting
    By Ghosttowns.com in forum Directions and Locations of Ghost Towns
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2000, 05:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •