Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: metal detecting Gost Towns

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I actually got hate mail over this thread.

I got a whole earful of accusations and ranting from a guy who apparently thought I hated metal detecting people.

I find this extra-funny, because I do metal detect...(just at the appropriate places, such as my own property or the beach.)

One of his quotes are "STOP HATING! STOP THINKING THAT WE ARE ALL THIEVES!!!!"

Ok pal! Your vicious rant has convinced me to repent and see the error of the way of thinking that I never actually thought! /sarcasm off

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarevna View Post
    I actually got hate mail over this thread.

I got a whole earful of accusations and ranting from a guy who apparently thought I hated metal detecting people.

I find this extra-funny, because I do metal detect...(just at the appropriate places, such as my own property or the beach.)

One of his quotes are "STOP HATING! STOP THINKING THAT WE ARE ALL THIEVES!!!!"

Ok pal! Your vicious rant has convinced me to repent and see the error of the way of thinking that I never actually thought! /sarcasm off
    Dang Tsar...guess it's time to dust off the "Whites" and hit the beach!!!

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Speaking of white, I think I'd blind everybody if I got in a bathing suit.

Ya know, what I like to do at the beach is shovel up sand into a sifter. There's plenty of non-metallic treasures to find there, such as naturally smoothed and tumbled glass, agates and shark teeth.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Tsarevna, hang in there. I think I have even lower regard for collectors than you do.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

If youíre ever in the backcourty East of Fallon NV, swing by and see what treasure hunters have done to RawhideNV.

History teaches us people have used unprotected items weather natural or man-made to there own benefit. I find no benefit from an old arrowheads or other relics once at home. I love finding these things in the setting they where found.

Iím starting to not liking people taking pictures, especially if they are going to post them on Goggle Earth. The day is coming when people will have no need to explore, a picture of everywhere and everything will be on the net.

Of course I not a big fan of much, Iím even trying to stamp-out foot-prints. Ha Ha

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide, Nv View Post
    I’m starting to not liking people taking pictures, especially if they are going to post them on Goggle Earth.
    Well, don't condemn photographers. Just the ones that post with no restraint. I have photographed MANY MANY MANY things that I will NEVER post on the net, because I want to protect them. These things include cemetaries, indian ruins, railroad relics, and the famous supernova petroglyph. To paraphrase Edward Abbey, "Go hike there yourself, and if you can't make it, TOO BAD."

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by campp View Post
    Edward Abbey, "Go hike there yourself, and if you can't make it, TOO BAD."
    Abbey, the founder of eco-terrorism...

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 08-20-2009 at 03:12 AM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Default Picking up artifacts

I was out at Reilly in the Panamint Valley one time, and I thought I'd clean up the place---something I do a lot when I'm camping. There was a patch of broken glass under some bushes. I started there. When I had found every last shard I could, down to the smallest bits, I tossed it in my trash bag.

I was sitting in my chair looking at the view and the top of my beer bottle, when a thought came into my head. The top of that broken beer bottle I just picked up and threw away didn't look like this bottle I'm holding in my hand.

I dug all the broken glass back out of the trash. **** it! I had picked up history not trash. Well, trashy history. Here is the evidence. I set all the historical artifact broken beer bottle at the foot of the Reilly sign. It didn't have a place for the bottle cap. That's how I knew it wasn't recent.

NJ

"I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by campp View Post
    Well, don't condemn photographers. Just the ones that post with no restraint. I have photographed MANY MANY MANY things that I will NEVER post on the net, because I want to protect them. These things include cemetaries, indian ruins, railroad relics, and the famous supernova petroglyph. To paraphrase Edward Abbey, "Go hike there yourself, and if you can't make it, TOO BAD."
    How would posting photos of your finds be detrimental? If they give away the location, I can understand that, but do you think, for example, the glyphs posted on this site are harmful to the cultural integrity of the southwest?

Show us what ya gots? I am very intrigued...TOO BAD for me I guess.

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    Abbey, the founder of eco-terrorism...

<
    ...and author of "The Brave Cowboy" which was made into a superb film: "Lonely are the Brave."

Thread Information