Thread: Southwest I-40 Gost Towns

Default Southwest I-40 Gost Towns

I'm planning a trip out west down I-40. I was going to do some Metal Detecting,but that doesn't seem very popular in Gost Towns. What if I just want to go walking around looking at stuff. Maybe checking out old dump sites near the town. Is this popular and do "keepers of gost towns" frown on this. Where would I get a map locating Gost Towns near I-40 out west. Any help would be nice.

Do you plan on stopping along the way? or are you going visit the ones around Vegas?
    Jeff

The one thing I do know is anything in the area of mines or mining/ghost towns are classified as historical sites. If you are caught with anything it can be $2500 fine and they can confiscate anything even your vehicle. I am not sure of the difference of laws for Federal land and state lands. Bookmark Atlas of whatever state, bookstores.

I would like to stop at places along the way.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I'd do a search on here first, as this issue has come up numerous times and the info has been put out there.

Most of your areas will be under BLM, or USFS control. I know both either limit or do not allow any form of metal detecting in areas they feel are historic. Some say you can do it, but you can't dig anything up, remove artifacts, etc.

With the info on here, I'd also contact the agency in charge for specific areas you may be interested in.

You're likely to find out that you'll have a "you may do it over here, but not over there" outcome.

BTW, I have turned in numerous people in historical areas I know personally that were off limits for metal detecting and prospecting. I don't have so much of a issue with the thought doing of it, but the issue is the damage people tend to do to the sites for nothing more than self gain.

The first time you find a perfectly good cabin in some remote area that has the floor boards ripped out by gold hunters, you'll understand my point.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Sooo True Gary. I found and old 7th grade science or math book from the forties in a cabin in Ione I believe. left it there even though it would been easy to take. If its been there that long I hope no one ever takes it. Of course there are a few residents there maybe its a trap.

Please consider leaving the metal detector in the car and taking a camera with you instead. You'll find an infinite variety of wonderful sights to shoot, treasures you can frame and enjoy for a lifetime, and that leaves the site intact for others to enjoy.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

You just have to look at it from a ghost town point of view. If everyone took one or two things, there wouldn't be one ghost town standing.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Between Winslow and Flagstaff are Canyon Diablo and Two Guns and both right off I-40.

I'm not certain, but my understanding was that metal detecting is illegal on public lands and can only be done on private land with owner's permission.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Thread Information