Thread: What is the current status on the Ghost Town called Bodie in Washington State?

Default What is the current status on the Ghost Town called Bodie in Washington State?

Hi guys! I am new to the forum and I know that we are all about preserving history and making it fun for ourselves and others to see!

Now I am interested in finding old ghost towns in Washington State and metal detecting them. My goals are to search for older coinage and relics that were once lost but now found.

Does anyone have any information on the Ghost Town called Bodie? I looked it up on the website and in a book I have called Ghost Towns of the Pacific Northwest and a lot of the grass still seems to be there. I am interested in the grass so I can dig up old relics/coins.

If anyone has any information please contact me by this post or email!

Thanks! Remember!! Always fill in your holes and use the leave no trace method while metal detecting!

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Hello,

Unfortunately, now that you have mentioned that you want to take things from ghost towns, you are unlikely to find help here.

The motto is "leave behind nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures."

It's a taboo to take things from ghost towns that future archeologists and ghost towners might find.

Sometimes, the only thing that's left of a ghost town, that dates the place, are coins with dates on them. You'd be causing harm to our knowledge about these places by removing the few artifacts that would definitely have dates on them.

(The only exception to the rule is if you have a reason to suspect that somebody is about to steal an artifact from a ghost town, then you could remove that artifact: but it would only be ethical if you gave it to a local museum or historical society.)

That said, it's not wrong to bring a metal detector to a ghost town area, although local law enforcement might see this differently. You could go prospecting with your detector and take things like gold nuggets, if you were near a mining town, given that you had the proper claim staked and permissions from local authorities and land owners.

Just please, don't take coins, keys, doorknobs, nails, cans, pocket watches, dishes, furniture or plumbing fixtures. You can buy this kind of junk at antique stores anyway. At the town, in context, a doorknob is a "Bodie doorknob." In your garage, after you die, and your relatives find it, it's "a junky old doorknob."

I recently visited the Lucky S mining town, and souvaneir takers had stripped the place bare. I found only 3 hinges in a town with 16 buildings. Every little pipe and faucet fixture was gone, every window and door removed, every scrap of copper wire for electricity taken away, everything was just gone.

Look on the forum for my Lucky S mining town slideshow to see just how stripped and bare the place is.
    Last edited by Tsarevna; 07-28-2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: grammar

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarevna View Post
    Hello,

Unfortunately, now that you have mentioned that you want to take things from ghost towns, you are unlikely to find help here.

The motto is "leave behind nothing, take nothing but pictures."

It's a taboo to take things from ghost towns that future archeologists and ghost towners might find.

Sometimes, the only thing that's left of a ghost town, that dates the place, are coins with dates on them. You'd be causing harm to our knowledge about these places by removing the few artifacts that would definitely have dates on them.

(The only exception to the rule is if you have a reason to suspect that somebody is about to steal an artifact from a ghost town, then you could remove that artifact: but it would only be ethical if you gave it to a local museum or historical society.)

That said, it's not wrong to bring a metal detector to a ghost town area, although local law enforcement might see this differently. You could go prospecting with your detector and take things like gold nuggets, if you were near a mining town, given that you had the proper claim staked and permissions from local authorities and land owners.

Just please, don't take coins, keys, doorknobs, nails, cans, pocket watches, dishes, furniture or plumbing fixtures. You can buy this kind of junk at antique stores anyway. At the town, in context, a doorknob is a "Bodie doorknob." In your garage, after you die, and your relatives find it, it's "a junky old doorknob."

I recently visited the Lucky S mining town, and souvaneir takers had stripped the place bare. I found only 3 hinges in a town with 16 buildings. Every little pipe and faucet fixture was gone, every window and door removed, every scrap of copper wire for electricity taken away, everything was just gone.

Look on the forum for my Lucky S mining town slideshow to see just how stripped and bare the place is.

Actually Tsarevna, you're mostly correct and someone with further knowledge may be able to fill in my errors.
    First, the motto as far as I know it is "Take only photographs, leave only footprints". You had the right idea.

Second, metal detecting or removal of ANY objects in ANY ghost town is strictly verboten, unless privately owned, in which case permission must first be obtained. Heavy fines are levied for violators.

However, Md'ing is allowed in certain areas of BLM land, and other places. The best thing to do is contact the overseer of the property or land intended for metal detecting, and secure written permission from an authorized agent prior.

I'd start by running a search on Google or Yahoo regarding places for legal use of metal detectors.
    Last edited by bad bob; 07-28-2008 at 10:32 PM.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Perhaps the issue of metal detector use could/should be included on the GT.com's FAQ page.

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Yeah, that's a good idea Bob, about the FAQ.

You'd be surprised about gold claims, there's a place in Chester, CA, a small business where there's a team of people making their living by assisting people with making gold claims, researching the location of claims (so you don't squat someone else's claim accidentally) and processing claim paperwork for you.

If you were to metal detect a part of a stream in Northern California, in the mountains, you might be doing something illegal. If someone with a claim there saw you do it, you could get sued in court. It's no joke!

One's got to be careful with that kind of thing.

Tsar also on the Lucky S The state may have taken alot out of there as I heard maybe a State Park. I think CA is waiting to see if they ever get the fires out. Someday they may figure it is to hard to keep it. I sure hope not.

Default please don't dig!!

We take photographs,and leave foot prints, leave the shovels at home.....

Thread Information