Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midnight , Peace Dove mine, Tecopa, Death Valley

Default Midnight , Peace Dove mine, Tecopa, Death Valley

Ok. Came across this sight http://www.socalfunplaces.com/topic_desert.htm

In it he describes the Midnight and Peace Dove mines in the Cetopa mining district. I have not found these sites in or around Death valley which is where it's supposed be. There is a Tecopa Mining district just outside of Death Valley and the town of Tecopa. I found the Gunsight mine which he says is nearby the Midnight. I think he puposely changed the name. Anyone have any background info on this???

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

My California geography is a tad weak. Will any of these California listings help?

http://www.mindat.org/lsearch.php?loc=Midnight
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Well, no but thanks for the reply. Those midnights are too far away to be the same one. The Gunsight mine and Tecopa are real close together. He says that they are in Death Valley, yet they are just outside. I just don't understand the secrecy. He has done this with other places too. Am I missing mining exploring ettequitte here?

Gravelrash is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Jdog View Post
    Am I missing mining exploring ettequitte here?
    G'day Jdog. My experiences are, probably, entirely irrelevant to someone in the Good 'Ol, but here's my 2 cents worth. Considering the exchange rate....that's about 3 cents.

I only started to get seriously involved in Australian contemporary mines after joining this website. I blame Old Judge and a few of his cronies.

I had a head-full of .....ghost towning stuff.... and, as I live in an old gold rush area, it all fell into place. Great weekends in the bush ensued!
    ....and, I met "the real deal" a few times, this past year.
    Is there an "etiquette"? You betcha - 'cept it's not written in any book I've come across. Gold mining attracts..."characters", and with the recent start of a whole new Aussie gold rush - (yes folks, its time to pack the shovels and head Down Under agin!!), there's a whole shiite load of them in the bush once more.
    There's scammers by the square foot; men who'd drink a river of gold, if only they could get you to pay for it!
    "Investors" who know where old Clancy had his last dig; people who swear blind they know where the vein re-emerged....and they have a map!!!
    Come to think of it...."ettiquette" isn't the right word. I think the right word can be found in a legal dictionary.
    Danger, Will Robinson!
    But, H/ell.....it's fun!
    I've just spent a Sunday looking for the "Maude and Golden Girl" shafts, in the Alpine region of Victoria.....with a man who is already convicted of one fraud against a "mineral company". He couldn't lie straight in bed, but he was as dry as an old stick, and a barrel of laughs, and it was a **** fine day in the bush.
    Of course, I won't be going within 500 yards of him, next time.
    I have a hunch.........
    "Those were great old days. Everthing is very quiet now, isn't it?" Elfego Baca

Default Still Looking?

JDog,
    Any luck with these sites yet? I can not find Peace Dove anywhere on any kind of map. Like you suggested, maybe he has changed the names. I was just wondering if you have had any luck since July in locating them. I did find the Midnight mine in Shasta County. Not sure if that could be it. Here is a link: http://www.lat-long.com/ShowDetail-6...ight_Mine.html.
    This website has almost every mine in the US if you have the correct name and spelling.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg2561; 10-06-2008 at 03:55 PM.

I have decoded the mystery!!! Before I go and post where the site is, I sent "Ryan" an email. He did make a good point in his first paragraph.

Pulled from the site
    "However, if you are going to email me requesting that I disclose the location of any of the below material...don't waste your time. I found all of these locations myself by using 1 of 2 methods: either wandering blindly through the backcountry for countless weekends OR countless hours of researching topographical maps & satellite aerial photos. The last resource being very useful and FREE!"

He did leave several clues as to its location. That's how I found it. They aren't all in one location.. Notice he made several trips and mentioned more than one mine. I will give one clue however "Cetopa, CA" is not a city/town/claim/destination. It does not exist.

If "Ryan" responds and we get to talking and he says itís ok to disclose its location I will PM you.

My guess is many GT'ers have been there before if they are into spelunking.

Vacant Minds

Quote Originally Posted by Jdog View Post
    ... Midnight and Peace Dove mines in the Cetopa mining district. I have not found these sites in or around Death valley which is where it's supposed be. There is a Tecopa Mining district just outside of Death Valley and the town of Tecopa.
    I don't have 7.5" topographic maps of the district, but have scanned the area on the 1:100,000 series maps. Some thoughts:

I do historical research in county courthouses, as I am a published author. Over the years I've found that mining districts can be large or small, and change names over time. If there is only one center of population during a particular mining rush, a mining district might run far and wide. If there are more centers of population, the district eventually fragments. The Tecopa Mining District might cover a large area, I'm not sure in this case. Looking at the map, there are numerous mines flung over two large areas west and east of Tecopa. They all might be part of the Tecopa Mining District.

Tecopa, though outside the national park boundaries, is historically included in the general Death Valley region. If you look at a map, you will find that physical Death Valley runs for a very long distance north to south. Such areas, such as Big Pine, California - which is at the foot of the Sierra Nevada in Owens Valley, is only 17 miles by road outside of Death Valley National Park. Most people don't think of Bishop and Big Pine as in Death Valley, yet the park boundaries are so close and the northern tip of Death Valley - in the center of the valley - is only 40 air miles east. Likewise, such places as Panamint Valley, Shoshone, Tecopa, Beatty, Amargosa Valley are included in the general Death Valley region.

And then there is the aspect of changing the names. That's also possible - Noonday Mine might equal Midnight Mine. Peace Dove Mine probably equals War Eagle Mine. An aquaintence of mine has a website that offers a large array of mines and ghost towns. He has the gift of a sense of humor, so he does much the same thing on many of his pages just to be a wisecrack. It might be the same with this website, or its their way of trying to conceal the true location and identity to help in their own way to keep out the wanton vandals.

For a website that focuses on the Gunsight and other mines in the Tecopa Mining District, I suggest the website of another aquanitence of mine, at http://www.ttrr.org/

This website focuses on the aspect of the Tonopah & Tidewater and Tecopa Railroads in the region, but has many facts, photos and history of the mines they served.
    Last edited by David A. Wright; 10-30-2008 at 12:35 PM.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

I did receive an email back from Ryan (The guy who made the page). He told me that the mine is now privately owned and the owner plans to build a house on it.

That's pretty silly. Why go writing about mines an towns and purposefully change the names so no one else can find them or research them?

As someone already posted, it's Tecopa and the mines are the Noonday and the War Eagle. There is also the Columbia and Grant (which connects to the War Eagle) nearby. The Gunsite is a little ways away.

They're fun mines to explore. There is a good deal of high angle and vertical travel so the proper gear (ropes, etc.) are strongly recommended.

I think the idea that someone is going to build a house on one of the mine sites is pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer View Post
    That's pretty silly. Why go writing about mines an towns and purposefully change the names so no one else can find them or research them?
    Not everyone respects the mines or the history of the mines. Why give exact directions to the treasure?

Thread Information