Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sofia, New Mexico

Welcome George III - What a great first post to the forum, how about some photos of what it used to look like and what is there today? Is the ranch still in family hands, or has it been sold?

Name:  belcheff.jpg
Views: 1451
Size:  92.7 KB

Thank you for your interest. Several of the ranches are in branches of the family and still produce. I am not sure if this picture uploaded but I think it was taken on the old home place somewhere around 1918-1920. Four of the children in the picture are now located in Texas and NM - and have had many offspring who of course by now have continued to expand. So Sofia has a story like many communities in NM. It is still alive - just not quite as vibrant as it was before the war after the school shut down. Just a few friendly ghosts here and there who all have a name and incredible history. But watch out for the mountain lions in the Don Carlos Hills to the south of town.....not sure if Grandpa was telling the full story on that one.

I used to work on a ranch there. The only things there were the ranch headquarters, which used to be the train station, two bunkhouses, which were the section hand houses for the RR, and the old school, which is now a outfitters headquarters. The cematary is west of town.

Huh??

Was this a serious post?

Hello George ,
    I am bulgarian national, american citizen living in Las Vegas, NV.
    I am a big history fan and I am looking for material for a book about bulgarian immigration in the US.
    I think the story of your family is greatly interesting, and you wrote it so well.
    Bulgaria has changed a lot since the 1950's and there is great interest in the lives of immigrants in the US.
    I am from Varna, and I have been to Sofia, Bulgaria , but Sofia, NM and Plevna, MT are more interesting for me :-)
    It is amazing how hard working and strong people like your grandfather were.
    Regards,
    Ivan Popov

My wife is a descendant of a homesteader there named Elmer and Nellie Depue. Does those names sound familiar to you. We would like to find their homestead if possible. We live in Amarillo and would love to visit the old homestead and look around if possible. My name is Jerry Plummer and my Wife is Carolyn Marquez Plummer. I hope you see this and send me a reply. My email is proimagez@yahoo.com and my phone is 806-223-3276. Thank You for any information very much.

Jerry P

My Father, Bryan Clason Jr. was born in Sofia NM on Sept. 5, 1924. My grandparents were Bryan Clason Sr. and Cloe Oliver Clason. My Mother was Freda Carroll, Born in Des Moines NM. Her parents were Lawton and Delia Carroll. My parents Bryan Jr. And Freda lived and worked around the Clayton, Grenville and Des Moines area for many years. My grandpa, Lawton Carroll worked at Kilburn's Funeral Home in Clayton for many years.

Thread Information