Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: New here, just uploaded 3 photos of Alma, CA

  1. #11
    Vulture's Avatar
    Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Galeyville, AZ
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    Break time, Alma 1920's

    [/IMG]

    1988 the reservoir was drained, the old road is the verticle line in the middle of shot, looking toward Los Gatos.

    [/IMG]

    Road work 1880's above Alma near Black road.

    [/IMG]
    Last edited by Vulture; 07-30-2008 at 01:10 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    16

    Default

    beutiful Vulture.. relating to your photos, I'd have to say what I thought was the rail berm was actually the main road, and the large foundation behind it was the store... also possibly what I thought was a natrual stone foundation could be part of the firestation flowergarden, which would make the stairstepped thing the base for the firebell tower.. all guesses but the photos are great!

    * after poring over the period photos and the new ones, i think what I thought was the store foundation was the parking lot for the store.. again.. all guesses, wish there was more left of the town to really relate everything. A picture with the bridge in it would really tie it together. they really scraped it pretty clean before filling the lake, also much is buried under 100 years of mud and silt.
    Last edited by grey3000; 07-30-2008 at 01:08 PM.

  3. #13
    Vulture's Avatar
    Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Galeyville, AZ
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    Alma is not the only town covered by the water, there's also Lexington, about a mile north. Thats the Noviate vineyards to the left. The road is the old toll road to the summit.

    Lexington 1860

    [/IMG]

    Lexington 1909

    [/IMG]
    Last edited by Vulture; 07-30-2008 at 01:19 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

  4. #14
    Vulture's Avatar
    Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Galeyville, AZ
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grey3000 View Post
    beutiful Vulture.. relating to your photos, I'd have to say what I thought was the rail berm was actually the main road, and the large foundation behind it was the store... also possibly what I thought was a natrual stone foundation could be part of the firestation flowergarden, which would make the stairstepped thing the base for the firebell tower.. all guesses but the photos are great!

    * after poring over the period photos and the new ones, i think what I thought was the store foundation was the parking lot for the store.. again.. all guesses, wish there was more left of the town to really relate everything. A picture with the bridge in it would really tie it together. they really scraped it pretty clean before filling the lake, also much is buried under 100 years of mud and silt.
    Thanks Grey3K, if you are interested in the history of the area find "Ghost towns of the Santa Cruz mountains" by John V Young & "Highway 17" by Richard A Beal.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    16

    Default

    I know of lexington, but what Information I had was that it was mostly gone by the time Alma took preedence.. from reading this http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/commstudies/woz/paper2.html

    The bridge was called the Alma Bridge ( I think ) and the highway Santa Cruz Highway so I figured I was in the general area of Alma. I very much could be wrong. The paper also lists your photograph of the store and several you didn't post. Its a nice read and provides quite a bit of Alma/Lexington history. also, was Lexington Santa Cruz side of alma or San Jose side if its on the Santa Cruz side I might be able to find more of it, if its on the San Jose side its probably under the dam.?
    Last edited by grey3000; 07-30-2008 at 01:43 PM.

  6. #16
    Vulture's Avatar
    Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Galeyville, AZ
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grey3000 View Post
    I know of lexington, but what Information I had was that it was mostly gone by the time Alma took preedence.. from ready this http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/commstudies/woz/paper2.html

    The bridge was called the Alma Bridge ( I think ) and the highway Santa Cruze Highway so I figured I was in the general area of Alma. I very much could be wrong. The paper also lists your photograph of the store and several you didn't post. Its a nice read and provides quite a bit of Alma/Lexington history.
    Thanks, that was fun. No way to know exactly whats what down there. I worked at Villa Montalvo with a lady who's grandmother lived in Alma when the dam was built. She said she used to go with granny to watch the waters rising & the last thing that could be seen of the town was her chimney top. She got a little misty remembering it.

    <
    Last edited by Vulture; 07-30-2008 at 02:02 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

  7. #17
    Vulture's Avatar
    Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Galeyville, AZ
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grey3000 View Post
    also, was Lexington Santa Cruz side of alma or San Jose side if its on the Santa Cruz side I might be able to find more of it, if its on the San Jose side its probably under the dam.?
    The Hwy 17 book book sez Lexington was 3 miles south of LG, & Alma about 1 mile south of Lex. Have fun pacing that one off.

    <
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    The Hwy 17 book book sez Lexington was 3 miles south of LG, & Alma about 1 mile south of Lex. Have fun pacing that one off.

    <
    gahh this is getting complicated , why doesn't Indiana Jones have to do this? . I ordered both books btw. In your ariel photo I can see the bridge off to the right of the main road, its not near buried as it is now. I think a lot of the remains of the town are under the mud now. I think I'm going to go back next weekend, the water is as low as they can get it so I might find more now that I have rough idea where everthing was.

  9. #19
    Vulture's Avatar
    Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Galeyville, AZ
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grey3000 View Post
    gahh this is getting complicated , why doesn't Indiana Jones have to do this? .
    Get the hat & your in like Flint, think you'll like the books.

    <
    Last edited by Vulture; 07-30-2008 at 02:27 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    419

    Default Get this

    OK to add to this can you solve the mystery of the 2 giant stone lions guarding the road on the right of hiwy 17 heading from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz. Back when I was a teen and after the Navy it was said to be an Albino Community and they were very inhospital. Supposedly people have disappeared up there.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Alma, Colorado
    By curtains in forum History of Ghost Towns and Historical Sites
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 09:25 PM
  2. Elk City Oregon photos uploaded
    By Tsarevna in forum History of Ghost Towns and Historical Sites
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 08:26 PM
  3. Boot Hill Cemetery near Alma, NM
    By tuutuutango in forum History of Ghost Towns and Historical Sites
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 09:11 AM
  4. Laura - RE: Alma Kirby
    By NWNative in forum Other
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-18-2006, 05:23 PM
  5. More photos!
    By Ghosttowns.com in forum History of Ghost Towns and Historical Sites
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-22-2001, 08:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •