Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New here, just uploaded 3 photos of Alma, CA

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    OK to add to this can you solve the mystery of the 2 giant stone lions guarding the road on the right of hiwy 17 heading from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz. Back when I was a teen and after the Navy it was said to be an Albino Community and they were very inhospital. Supposedly people have disappeared up there.
    they may no longer be there, I don't remember seeing them.
    this is a snazzy signature...

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Wow! Great now and then photos! I love history and you two nailed it!
    As for the lions, I remember hearing about them, but never heard about albinos or disappearnces. But what would I know? I was a half-snockered jarhead at Moffett Field. Tales like that would get thirty drunken Marines tearing those hills apart.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by teds280z View Post
    OK to add to this can you solve the mystery of the 2 giant stone lions guarding the road on the right of hiwy 17 heading from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz. Back when I was a teen and after the Navy it was said to be an Albino Community and they were very inhospital. Supposedly people have disappeared up there.
    Funny how rumours start about old gated mansions.

The cats are Leo & Leona, concrete sculptures made in 1922 by artist Robert Paine. They are adjacent to the entrance to The Cats resturaunt. Installed at the gated driveway to a home built by Col. Charles Erskine Scott Wood. Col. Wood was a West point grad, communist, attorney, poet & philosopher, he died in the house at age 92. I belive it is still privately owned by normally pigmented humans.

Maybe Grey3K can check to see if they are still there, bet they are.

Joel, I am glad you & fellow leathernecks didn't hear the stories. That would of been a tragic loss.

<
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vulture; 07-31-2008 at 12:22 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    Maybe Grey3K can check to see if they are still there, bet they are.

Joel, I am glad you & fellow leathernecks didn't hear the stories. That would of been a tragic loss.<
    ahhah! i thought he ment in the area of lexington ( i've got lexington and alma on the brain atm )... I havn't been to Santa Cruz in 3 years which is probably why I didn't recall them. sure I can poke around locally and see what I turn up.

They were right on Hiwy 17 I believe somewhere past Lexing ton Res. going from Los Gatos. Those do look like the lions but when you drive by at night smoking that weird tobacco and a few beers or more and ladies different stories happen.

Just found out that yes it now is the entrance to the Cats restaurant as far as in the eightys but back in 69-75ish I know it was no restaurant. Maybe that is when the gentleman owned it. Sure he wasn't albino with a blood thirst. The story also said when anyone dissappeared the cats had red tears the next morn. Of course it looks like science won this story.

Just thought I'd tie this one off,

Lexington, CA was indeed flooded by the lake and probably the foundations and such i found relate to it not Alma. Its slightly north of the bridge in the deepest part of the resivoiur. So I guess the remenants that I found where outlying buildings. The really interesting stuff is in water that can't be drained from the lake. What i thought was the narrow guage rail was actually more of the main highway. The road crossing the main highway went to the bridge and meandered to Alma.

Alma, CA was south and west of Lexington on the side of the hill above and would still be partially on dry land although some of it might have been in the lake and on the shore, there are some scars from the roads on the hill and outlying period building may stand on private land.

Both towns where totally destroyed by the creation of the dam. Leaving mostly remnants of foundations of which most are propably buried under silt.
    Last edited by grey3000; 07-31-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Here is some information on the Colonel. http://oregonstate.edu/dept/press/u-w/woodIntro.html
    The Wizard
    Air Dropable AND Ground Recoverable
    The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.
    Necat Omnes! Deus Suos Agnoscet.

Just a quick post mortem.. I did go back this weekend and find both Lexington and Alma. Thanks for all the help vulture, actually your directions ( yes I paced it off ) really made it possible .

The photos
    http://picasaweb.google.com/grey3050...ir_county_park
    ( I captioned the photos )

The gps track
    http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=172841

Once my books arrive I'll see if i can find something standing that hasn't been buried under 100ft of water for 100years... i think i got the bug
    Last edited by grey3000; 08-02-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Very nice!
    Vulture is quite the researcher. We need to get him shackled in the Arizona Historical Society churning out information!
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Thread Information